Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Great reliable car. Don't buy a Civic!
By Gksspot

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought it but have been researching & test driving compact sedans for months! PROS -Resale value not great, was able to get into one cheap compared to others compacts -Lots of features for the class -Tight suspension makes it fun to drive -Predicted reliability -Not a run of the mill car (Civic/Accord/Corolla). CONS -Gas mileage is not as good as others in class -5th gear not tall enough, pretty high RPMs on freeway. OVERALL Car can be a bit stiff for some but I like driving so the trade off is worth it. Like I said it's a driver's cars; good steering input, feel connected to the car/road & is a blast in the twisties. Will report again a year from now with cost of ownership/reliability.

6 disk in dash CD player. Moonroof. Decent aftermarket suspension. Alloys Forum support is decent.

Taller 5th gear or a 6th speed. Better gas mileage. Lighter vehicle weight, not more power. Who wants a powerful pig that is fast in a straight line? OK I guess 90% of American drivers ... but for me I'd take a Protege with 500 less pounds and call it a day.

2002 Protege DX
By Siege

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used black 2002 Mazda Protege DX last year. It was a very good price, and had low miles. I must say that this car is wonderful in many ways. Not only is it a great looking car on both the outside and inside, but it's also got a little zip to it. Air conditioning works great, and the bass is nice when turning up the music. I found the performance very good for this type of car, and I enjoy speeding off when the light turns green. Granted this is no sports car and it won't win races, but the reliability and fuel economy, on top of being a great car overall wins me over.

I really don't have a favorite feature, but I guess something I really enjoy is the rear folding back seats and the great sounding radio. Seats are also extremely comfortable, you can fall asleep in them if you wanted.

Not much really, but I guess maybe the placement of the cupholders. It's nested perfectly in front of the transmission stick, so I have to bend around to grab my drink.

not that great
By justen

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 02 Protege new and had it only 2 days when the stereo shorted out. Then the CD player broke after they fixed it. Five months later the stereo went out again and then driving the car from Arizona to Chicago the engine blew because of a bad head; now when the car goes above 60 it shakes very badly. The rims also rusted, more than any other car I have owned during winter. The heater also smells very bad when it gets to about 30 degrees outside.

Interior.

Build quality,engine performance,handling,stereo.

Adequate performance and reliable
By lzp

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's my first car. Bought it new in August 2002. Have been driving it ever since then and no real problems occured. If I have to be really picky, then here are some minor issues: (1) twice in winter morning, with temperature at around minus 20 celsius (I live in Toronto), the stereo stopped functioning --- the problem disappeared next day. (2) experiences over snowy roads is not as good, especially when making turns, the car could slide sideways. (3) My girl friend complained that air circulation is restrained in certain modes; from reading the reviews here that seems to be a common complain, but it didn't bother me that much. Overall, the car has been fun to drive and reliable.

The exterior design. I like the look of Proteges better than the newer Mazda 3.

More horepower out of 2.0 L -- that seems has been done in Mazda 3. More powerful air conditioner. Better fuel economy.

Classy
By Racer1978

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my old 2002 Toyota Celica GT (engine went at 19,000mi). I had looked at other cars, namely the Audi A4 but decided against it due to high maintainence costs. Then I looked at this 2002 Mazda Protege ES which provided a BMW like driving experience along with an attractive, sporty interior/exterior. I have had this car almost 7 months; there have been no problems whatsoever. Which is suprising since I learned to drive standard on this car. You would think all the bucking, stalling and over revving would have damaged it, I guess not. The car is as strong as ever *knock on wood.* Great car for the money.

Sporty interior; handling is exceptional for a car in this class; attractive exterior; very comfortable.

More horsepower; Better gas mileage.