Used 2002 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

My Silver Bullet is a great vehicle.
By R. F. Peterson

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It needs 0-2 censors replaced and a tune up. The rear air conditioner needs to be re-connected. It has new shocks, new brakes a new radiator and a new water pump. The radiator and water heater were replaced after someone hit the back bumper of the van and pushed it into a pole in a parking space . It is still very dependable and has only failed me twice in all the years I've owned it. I need a smaller vehicle as I no longer care for 5 grandkids....otherwise I would NEVER sell it.

I Can't Complain
By wiz8mom

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our MPV used in 2005 with about 45,000 miles on it.
With an extended warranty, we paid total about $11,000.
It now has 227,000 miles on it (365,000km).

We had to have the transmission replaced at 95K miles, but it was covered under our extended warranty.
We had coils replaced at one point, and a couple of other repairs around the $300 mark.
Regular oil changes and routine maintenance (brakes, trans. fluid, etc), this van has kept chugging along.
Along with daily driving, we drove from Auburn, WA to B.C. Canada twice a week for 2 years (6 hours round trip), while hauling 2 drums, harnesses, 2 sets of bagpipes, and 4 teenagers, 2 adults.
We averaged 22-24 hwy mpg

Handles well, drives like a car. Always felt zippy and had good power. Good fuel efficiency for a minivan (mine, anyway). Love the fold down 3rd row seat.

Seating could be a little more comfortable/cushy. After long hours in the van, tushes tend to get tired.

A Good Pal
By joe4prez

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our MPV new in 2002 and now have 82K miles. We've had a good experience with the van with very few issues. The only problems were replacing 3 coil packs at 65K miles and the fan module at 72K miles. Cost us about $500 for both. After 8 years the car is still solidly built, no electrical or mechanical issues, and no rusting. So far so good.

Flexible seating; sportier look than most vans. Cargo space is larger than what it appears.

Horror!
By zpg

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Premature and/or repeated problems: coils, pcv valve, fan control module, transmission, radiator, motor mounts, window motor, rust

good size.

already undertook by Mazda: discontinuation

Don't Buy It
By 02 Mazda Lx

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We first saw the Mazda MPV at the 2001 LA Car Show. I fell in love with third row fold and sporty design. My wife and I have two boys and the car was perfect for our needs. Then the nightmare began. We have had the transmission flashed two times because of shift problems. The PCV pipe cracked and caused idle problems. The brake rotors went out of balance and shook the car like helicopter was above us. Now at 72K the transmission failed. Payed 1400 to replace it. 2 months later the radiator fluid has leaked into one of the transmission cooling lines and again the transmission misshifts. It is in the shop more than on the road. Save yourselves and do not buy this vehicle. I am trading mine in!

The car has great design and is very functional. Would have been a Honda killer if the people of Mazda put in the quality.

Quality in the drivetrain.