Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews

Used CX-9 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Very pleased!

Chuckgap, 07/17/2016
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

It seems that owners either love or hate this vehicle. One on line site claimed it was in the top 10 vehicles that are cheaper than they look. I think this conclusion is totally unwarranted. Traded for our CX-9 when we became grandparents. Bought the Grand touring and yes the navigation system is old tech and needed upgrading. The ride is smooth and quiet even with the 20 inch wheels. The front seats are very comfortable as is the second row, third row is tight as in most similar vehicles. My brother has a BMW X5 and I will compare rides any day. I have had no problems with the transmission as it shifts smoothly and we get 20.7 miles per gallon - lot's of highway miles and small city so in heavy traffic I am sure it would be less. Uses regular gas which is a plus. Bought a hitch carrier to improve storage as we haul 2 adults, 2 car seats and a 40 pound dog. I have owned multiple Mazdas and have always been satisfied. I recommend this vehicle but would drop down to the touring edition and either use a smart phone or Buy a GPS add on!

From 7 to 1

mrpladd, 03/18/2013

Test drove 7 SUVs and all were nice and capable but the CX-9 was the only one that really excited me after the test drive. Pilot, Traverse, and Pathfinder were too cavernous. Explorer had too many bad reviews (here, CR) and I rented one for a weekend and it was falling apart at 1700 miles. Acadia was overpriced. Durango was a really nice ride and came in a very close second but was probably more SUV than I needed (I don't tow). The CX-9 website does not do justice to the looks of this SUV. It is very sharp looking and people have given me nice compliments. Got it last week and drove 2 hours to Boston this weekend. So comfortable. Didn't want the drive to end. Fit kids and luggage no prob

Good car minus the navigation

skgpo3, 12/23/2014

I have owned this car for two years now. I got it when I had two kids I now have 3. Overall we have run out of room. My 6'5 husband puts either the driver or passenger seat all the way back causing cramping in the 2nd and third row. It creates constant fights with my kids as they then both adjust their seats trying to get more room. You can't fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row. I can barely do a Costco run with 1/2 a third row up. The navigation is horrific and always freezes leaving me to pull over and enter my destination in my cell. My husband hates my navigation and refuses to use it. When it does work, the directions are not great.

Not an Envoy

Draykana, 12/28/2017
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car because we outgrew our Envoy. We needed to seat 4 kids and 2 adults. The biggest complaint I have with this car is that it has hardly no head room. With the slant everybody is giving cars nowadays you almost always hit your head getting in or out. I'll note my husband and I are not tall people. The nice thing is it does sits a little higher off the ground like my Envoy does, although it has bigger doors so it is easier to get my little one buckled in her rearfacing carseat compared to my Envoy. I can fit my babytrend jogging stroller in the back, but it takes up the entire back unless I put a seat down. As for driving performance it handles well. I've only driven it on rain and dry roads, but so far it has done great. Good turn radius. Smooth ride even on poor roads. It's a quiet ride. Visibility is a little tricky when backing up since they squashed the top down. Gives you a bit more of a blind spot. This is my opinion so far based on a two month ownership. First time Mazda owner.

Loved it except for awful engine/water pump design

AliG, 03/29/2019
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Loved everything about this car until the water pump broke at 38,000 and 6 years old and because of poor design, whole engine had to be replaced and Mazda corporate or dealership was not helpful at all. They clearly don’t value their customers.

12345...6