Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews

Used CX-9 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Buy a Pilot or Highlander

Brant, 08/04/2015
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to my earlier review. Do not buy this car. Yes it handles and accelerates well and is roomy and fairly fun to drive. Downsides are manifold. Compared to the 2009 CX9 I owned: The 2013 continues with poor gas mileage in a range of 12 mpg to 20 mpg. The sheet metal is thinner hence the car easily picks up dings. The NAV system is useless so I don't use it. The transmission has a mind of its own. It is rough and clunks and bangs when shifting to drive at times. It downshifts randomly when tapping the brakes. The front brake rotors have warped so the brakes pulsate dramatically. One on the key fobs has already died. The central locking system is unintuitive and frustrating. I am generally a Mazda fan but they decided to cheapen this car. There are a lot of good cars on the market today and these named flaws are unacceptable.

Excellent family car

jzwerl02, 05/26/2013

Recently turned in our Lexus RX 350, looking to spend a little less this time around. The car is great (it's my second Madza; I also have a Mazda3). The only two things I can think of to complain about are the navigation screen is a bit small, and the interior material just feel a little cheap. But I guess they have to cut corners somewhere if I'm going to save this much $$$!! Otherwise the car is great!

Initial review: Great!

syndic8r, 10/29/2013
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

It has been almost 3 years since before deciding on the CX-9 Grand Touring Tech to replace my '04 Highlander. I still really like the vehicle. Great vehicle for the price. The ride is very nice and although the 20's do make the ride a tad rougher (as reviewers have said), overall the ride is more than acceptable. Vehicle has acceptable power, which is helpful as I live in a hilly area. Gas mileage is right around 18. I do much more city driving than highway and I'd love it if the mileage was better, but it's acceptable. I do a lot of listening to streaming audio and podcasts so the tech is important to me, and my only gripe. System talks to Android for text interface, but doesn't "see" android for music. Music player has more functionality for ios platforms than Android. If car is parked for a couple of days--like at an airport--you have to reconnect phone as the system loses connectivity. Gracenote feature has never worked for me, even after attempting to update. I hope that the updated version of the car cures these problems. I'm definitely considering another CX-9 when this lease is up.

Engine dies at 68K miles & Mazda say "Tough Luck"

Rich K, 11/01/2018
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just experienced every car buyer's nightmare. Purchased new CX-9 in 2013 and did all the required maintenance for the first 60 miles. After 5 years and 3 months and 68K in miles the engines completely dies. The reason per Mazda is the a "very rare" situation occurred INSIDE the engine where the internal water cooling systems broke and leaked into the engine resulting in broken rods and the need for a completely new engine that will cost $10,000!!!. The dealership passed me off to Mazda corporate who then spent 10 days contemplating what they would do for me. Their answer - "Too bad for you. Out of warranty go pound sand" Needless to say I am fuming and you can take this review as blowing off steam. With that said, the fact that I did everything right in regards to taking care of my Mazda CX-9 and the engine dies and needs complete replacement is the real take-away. Consider yourself warned. Don't walk - run away from this car.

Not as good as my 2009 CX 9

stopresisting, 10/09/2014

I came from a 2009 Mazda CX 9 Sport AWD which I absolutely loved. Not a single problem with the 09. I knew that the '13 was almost identical to the previous model year 9's but with more technological safety features. I had to have a rear view back up camera. The Blind Side Monitoring system is wonderful. Although the New Grand Touring (GT) came with 20 inch wheels, I didn't really feel a big difference in ride quality. The wheels are stylish but not chrome. As another reviewer stated, the sheetmetal is not as it was in previous years and easily prone to dings. The newer model's glove box has no locking mechanism and the coin storage drawer is gone.

12345...6