2018 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Really Mazda
By Harris

2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had car 2 months and the plastic bumper had come loose from the body....entire exterior is made of cheap plastic and under body around wheels is held together with plastic screws I’ve never in my life seen a car made of such cheap materials you can literally push in the body with your hand!! Totally DISAPPOINTED!! Should’ve kept my Tribute 🙁

Great car well worth the money
By C

2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the sport model two weeks ago and I have to say I am immensely pleased! I’ve been looking around for a while for an SUV I started with used couldn’t really find anything that I liked or that didn’t have a ton of miles on it and then I found this new. I got the sport model which is the base model and it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but compared to the base models of other SUVs it actually is pretty well-equipped and it’s super quiet. The LED headlights are super bright and at first I thought I would regret not having the fog lights but I don’t need them these lights are superbright and you can see super far. I do wish the car had a CD player and that it had a few more speakers but for a base set the speakers are actually really good. The car does have a very quality feel to it so I’m guessing it will hold up well. I also wish the car had the releases in the truck to fold the seats down since I have a base model it doesn’t have them at all. Other than the black trim/seats which is hard to keep clean I have to say overall I give it five stars. I really wanted a sunroof so the dealership had one put in so I didn’t have to step up and spend a few more thousand dollars for the touring trim.

Luxury feel for midlevel price
By George C.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Just got this car 2 days ago. Traded in my 2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport. This car is much nicer inside than my other car. Really like the selector knob to navigate the infotainment system. The infotainment screen is touch screen too. The selector knob is something that you usually only see on higher end cars. I like the seats. In my touring model they are suede/ leather. The seat itself is a bit firm. I opted for the preferred package. This got me the upgraded 10 speaker Bose stereo, navigation, and auto dimming mirror. It is worth the $1200 cost to upgrade. The Bose stereo is not as nice as I thought it would be. I think Mazda needed to install an amplifier. The basic radio doesn't have the wattage to really make the stereo thump. Minor flaw, imo. Perhaps something they need to address in future model years. I expected the stereo to really boom with 10 speakers. Another drawback is no more CD player. Most newer cars are ditching them. The ride is a bit firm, but that is what makes the car handle so well when turning/cornering. Acceleration I think is great compared to my old Rav 4. When you step on the pedal this thing gets up and moves. The accelerator is a little funny feeling. It is floor mounted rather than the usual suspended in most cars. Can't speak on gas mileage as I'm still on my first tank of gas. Lol. All in all I think that this is a great mid price SUV with a higher end feel to the inside. I believe that is what Mazda strives for, and they've succeeded. This is a must try car for anyone in the market for a new SUV.

Luxury at an affordable price!
By VAGentleman

2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have had this car for little more than a month & a half and like almost everything about it! In my estimation, it is every bit as smooth riding as my '14 Lexus 350. And a quiet - if not more so. The power is more than sufficient for the size of the car. Have just returned from a trip to the mountains and noticed the engine does "buzz" a bit when accelerating up a steep slope. Got about 33 MPG on the highway, am getting around 23-24 MPG in town. Bought it because of the many safety features which were offered and love all of them. Wish it had parking assist warnings, but the backup camera is excellent. I found the seat position very comfortable during a 5 1/2 hour drive and the power passenger seat is nice - something I couldn't find in the other cars I considered. I do have a complaint about the massive driver's manual that accompanies the vehicle - it is one of the most convoluted things I've ever tried to read! At least 65% of the manual deals with warnings: "Do not lower the rear seat back if someone is seated in the seat as it might cause bodily harm"! Still, very pleased with the purchase and would recommend it without reservation.

2018 CX-5 GT - >1500 miles
By helloniyana

2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

When I first test drove this car I wanted not to like it. The second time I test drove, I purchased the car. I've taken 2 long trips ~400 miles RT, and am now encountering some shaking when driving at lower speeds. Previous car was a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and this NEVER happened. Also, I realize I can't check the tire pressure from inside the car? Why? And the tech is just awful. Design and utilization. It looks great, but functionally terrible. I will take to the dealer for the shaking as this is a concern, and its riding quite rougher than when I first purchased. I'm worried I made a bad decision.