2017 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Hatchback door a disappointment
By Laura

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Leasing a 2017 Mazda CX5. Love the change in hatchback door lifting & closing automatically; after all, this change was due when other SUVs had it already....BUT.....this hatch door does NOT lift up high enough. Must bend & be cautious of hitting my head when loading this area, just too annoying overall. Other SUVs raise higher. I'm only 5'3"! This is a safety issue as far as I'm concerned. Raising the height by replacing "lift bars" should be considered a recall for safety reasons alone.

Touring edition has strange options left out
By Chase

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, I like the car, well enough that we leased another of the same model/trim for my wife. The car is fun to drive, relatively good MPG and quiet. A few issues: I paid extra for the Machine Gray color, which looks really nice, but has been extremely prone to scratches and acid etching from bird droppings. I had a large seagull dropping that I removed within an hour of noticing. There was an acid-etched ring from the dropping's perimeter which I tried to take out with Meguire's Ultimate Compound, which is extremely gentle from my experience on several past vehicles. I used a microfiber cloth with very light pressure and I was left with what looked like a black burn mark from a rotary buffer. I had to get the area repainted. Any sort of contact from anything (jeans, kid's backpack etc.) seems to leave a mark. The paint seems ridiculously soft and I'm pretty annoyed I paid a premium for the "upgrade". No light in the glove box, no center vents' flow control are strange things to be missing at this mid-trim level. The headlights automatically go on in dark areas which lull the driver into thinking all the lights are on. What you find out once you're pulled over, is that the taillights aren't on. I'm sure it would have been just as easy for Mazda engineers to have all the lights go on once the light sensor has been activated, but they want you to upgrade to the Grand Touring. I wanted the Touring, since I preferred how the wheels matched the Machine Gray color. Another aggravation is if you mistakenly push the engine off button if you're not in park, you have to cycle through turning the engine back on/off to have everything turn off. If you have a lot of contacts (I have almost 1100), they won't all fit into the memory, mine stop at "M" and it takes at least 45 seconds for the (limited) contacts to load, which slows down everything (listening to music, making calls) until the infotain system loads. I was worried about the faux leather/cloth combo seats holding up/repelling stains since I go to the gym fairly frequently and am often sweaty getting in the car. The seats still looks like new over a year later and they're pretty comfortable.

Exciting car to drive
By MikeB

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Handles like a European made car. Interior trim is very good.

Great Value for Luxurious Car
By map280

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Select 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Grand Select AWD in Soul Red with the Parchment leather interior. It is a very showy car and I have had quite a few compliments from strangers. I wanted a Volvo XC-60 but I couldn't bring myself to part with the coin. The Mazda gave me 95% of the satisfaction for 50% of the cost. With rebates and dealer discounts, I purchased a fairly loaded vehicle, tax included, for just over $30K! Many of the concerns of other reviewers were non-starters for me. Driver legroom - I'm 5-8. Cargo capacity - I have an F-150 when I need to haul stuff. Engine power - I'm more focused on mileage. That said, the CX5 has plenty of power. I've played with the Sport mode a couple of times which raises the shift points, but I think standard driving mode is just fine. I took the car to Lake Tahoe from SF Bay Area and got 31.5 mpg! (That's over a 7,000 foot elevation climb.) The interior in this car rivals many luxury cars. Very comfortable for long drives and the materials are top notch. I love the console controls - I can operate the radio without looking at them. My only complaint to date is a buzz in the dash speaker that, hopefully, can be rectified when I get the vehicle serviced. Other than that, it is a quiet, fun-to-drive, luxurious car!

We recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 Crossover Grand
By Christine

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 Crossover Grand Touring from Modern Mazda. We could not be happier with the vehicle and staff. Our experience was so pleasant. We had John “Fish” Salmon as our salesman. I highly recommend going to him. Absolutely no pressure, very knowledgeable, caring and overall a great guy. We have purchased 2 vehicles from Modern Mazda and John “Fish” helped us on both. I also enjoyed the free coffee and snacks in their newly renovated customer area. A+ experience.