Used 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Inconsistent build, very underwhelming
By Thaddeus Mack

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with around 91K miles on it. Based on reviews, I thought it would be a good commuter vehicle and get good gas mileage.

The bad: I mostly drive on highways, but haven't been able to break 23mpg. Apparently people can get upwards of 30, however driving like an old grandpa still gets me a whopping 23mpg. I even threw in an OBDII scanner connected to my phone and what the sensors gather for outputs on mileage is not what the odometer and tank show. The brakes are odd in that I slid once and the ABS activated and now they're spongy and very unresponsive (no leaks from the pump or lines though). The engine compartment looks like a 3 year old tried to go fishing and you get to untangle the mess of cables and wires (try changing the air filter in this car and you'll understand). The factory radio is AWFUL so if you're planning to buy this, set aside a few hundred dollars to replace the deck and speakers. The windshield wipers have one intermittent speed, which I am shocked by.

The good: It's a fun car to drive when it's working right. The engine is responsive and passing cars is a breeze. The handling is superb and because the wheels are placed at the corners, parking in tight spaces is easy. The drivers seat is comfortable and has a good amount of headroom. The car is fairly quiet, even when blasting down the highway at 80mph. The trunk in the hatchback has several dividers and below deck storage compartments. The layout is all straight forward and easy to use.

All in all, I would not buy this car again. The performance and handling perks can be found in many other cars which are better built and get better mileage. The stereo sounds so awful in this car, the engineer who developed it should be banished from earth. I was hopeful for more from Mazda but apparently was sadly mistaken.

Mazda3 2.3L Engine Failure
By bmpskier

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Heads up to all owners with Mazda 2.3L engines.

I bought a 2005 Mazda3 with 110K km on the engine. It was in excellent condition inside and out having been maintained regularly per the Mazda recommendations.

Less than 2500 km after I bought it it suddenly dropped 3L of oil in about 1500km. I had to spend 7K on a new engine having.
There was no evidence of a leak or that it was burning oil. It just disappeared.

I spoke to the service dept at the dealership and they told me that the 2004-2007 2.3L is prone to this problem and short of replacing the engine there is no fix other than to put in a heavier oil to slow consumption.

Engine problems notwithstanding, it looks sporty inside and out. It drives and handles excellent on dry and wet roads (I have yet to test winter driving though). Suspension is on the stiff side but this helps the car stick to the road.

Mazda could be more accountable with this particular engine and be honest and forthright with those people who have cars with this particular engine in it. Mazda ignoring the problem and not telling consumers that they need keep a close eye on oil levels in 2.3 litre engines is irresponsible and drags down the reputation they have built up over the years. They could also provide the same warrantee on factory rebuilt 2.3L engines that they provide on new cars. The 1 yr/20,000km they currently provide on the 2.3 engine proves they have a lack of confidence.

Good Value - All Around Car
By davidej123

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently picked up a 2005 Mazda 3s, with the 5spd, as a grocery-getter / everyday workhorse. I wanted something versatile, reliable, and cheap to maintain, with above average city mpg. However, I also love driving, so I wanted to make sure it was still fun and very much a "driver's car".

The 3s has been good-to-excellent on all counts.

The shifter is superb. Somedays, I actually like it better than the shifter on my M5. The handling is precise, like a go-cart. The brakes are good. In combined driving, I average about 28-30mpg without fail. Typical trip to the pump is 11gals for 330mi. Decent - but if fuel economy is your absolute top priority, buy a Prius because it will crush this.

I consider the 5spd manual and steering response as the best performance features of the car. The brakes are also above average. I really like the interior/exterior styling compared to most of the alternatives. It's held up well. Sharp wheels. Nice lines. Sporty, but not ostentatious. Nice glossy paint. Firm seats. Good ergonomics. The utility is great with the hatchback. Fold down the rear seats and you really have great cargo space. Glad the car has a timing chain, instead of a belt. I expect to get 200,000mi out of this.

This car could be better on the highway. Specifically, it could use a 6th gear to help the highway mpg. If you drive much faster than 65-70mph, the RPM's start running too high and push the numbers down from 32mpg to about 30mpg. The engine has proven very reliable, but it is not in the same league as the handling and transmission. Not the smoothest/most refined in the segment. Not the strongest. My car has also developed a small amount of rust on both rear wheel wells, that I am having addressed.

125,000 miles and going strong
By michdude

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Mazda 3 as a used, certified car with 48,000 one owner miles on it.
I had just started a new job which is 25 miles one way so I needed a reliable, fairly fuel efficient car that looked sharp, was fun to drive and could seat four adults when needed.
I'm 6'3" tall so I also needed a car that could handle my lanky frame.
I have to say my Mazda 3 has been a pleasure to drive over the past three years.
It has also been reliable.
The only mechanical failures I've had are the serpentine belt tension pulley and the drivers side front wheel bearing.
I have replaced the brake rotors and pads and bought new tires (Continental ExtremeContact
DWS.

Overall I love my 3!!!!!!!

Room for tall drivers, sporty, fun to drive, decent fuel mileage, reliable. Plenty of room in the hatch and is comfortable to drive on long trips. The interior has help up very well, no issues. The electric sunroof has been trouble free, operates smoothly and no leaks. The body has help up very well, no wind noise from doors/windows thus far.

Since this is a 1st gen 2005 Mazda 3 it's not really worth going into suggested improvements. I will be replacing the plastic guard on the bottom of the engine that covers the oil filter as it's broken in a few spots. I'll be in the market for a new car in late 2012 and will take a serious look at the new 2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Stay Away
By AngryMazxa

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 1 year old hatch with 24,000 miles, with 50,000 now, I have had to replace the engine and transmission linkage. I had an Explorer with less problems and that is saying something. Buyer beware of this one.