Used 1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

Mint used LS400
By Will Pendlebury

1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my second LS. I had a 2005 LS430 that I lost in a weather related accident. I bought this one with cash and it has 97,000 miles on it. Not bad for a 22 year old car. The drive is a dream. There are some quirks (the steering wheel doesn’t lift every time I shut off the car for example) but the car is great overall. I prefer this over most brand new cars. It will be my weekend car so the miles shouldn’t accumulate by much.

cup holder still too small !!
By dgeert

1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

218k now and going strong now im doing the timing belt and water pump by choice because of a small water leak..
all the problems ive had w this car are very typical to any high mileage car such as alternator p steering pump,semi clogged radiator
timing belt cost about 900.00 from small shop,so expect twice from a dealer, its a major job... even though i read this motor doesnt self destruct if it breaks.
this car is /was one of the most reliable ever with all the comforts of a luxury car.
still quiet at all speeds .
THIS JUST IN... ive been researching smaller cars for the mpg's and this car beats most of them at 20 to 27 highway

What a car!!
By tigerbone

1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have a 96 ls400 with 160,000 miles on it. This car is amazing. I just took it from ohio to cali, and this era of Lexus quality and build is unmatched. I have a friend that has a 05 bmw 3 series, and he had to put a new trans. in his car, he is now wanting a Lexus ls:)

Bullet Proof!
By shejean7

1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over a year and 1/2 ago with around 130K on it. I test drove different cars at the time, but when I drove the LS400 I was in love. I can't believe how silky smooth it glides down the road. I use Regular gas in it, due to high gas prices, and it has not missed a beat. Sometimes I'll use premium fuel, but it does fine with regular, so why pay more? As far as expenses, it's been the cheapest car to own because nothing ever goes wrong with it. I've only done a front end alignment ($60), a new batter recently ($100), and regular oil changes with tire rotations. The tires do not seem to wear down either. Purchased for less than $6,000! Now in the market for an RX330!

Silky smooth ride, comfortable on long trips, original sound system is still incredible for an old car, remote trunk release is very handy, and everything still works perfectly for a car with almost 160K!

Just needs autopilot to drive itself! Otherwise, it's perfect.

Very well made old classic car
By david

1996 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Damn cup holders, too small for my giant big gulp! That is my only complaint on a 14 year old car with 173k miles. Drives like new, well done Toyota/Lexus.

power with mpg v-8, average town 20 and highway 22.8 mpg