Used 2016 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used GX 460 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love this SUV

Julia, 06/07/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second GX. My first was a 2012. I am always surprised by the expert reviews of this SUV. I have driven a Subaru outback, a Volvo XC70, a Toyota highlander and a Chevy Suburban and none of them can come close to the performance of the GX in the snow. I live in Wisconsin and missing a workday due to snow is not an option for me. I have been on the interstate in three blizzards this winter alone and the GX is solid on the road. The gas milage well outperforms stated (22-23) and in a SUV with true 4 wheel drive capability I am pleased. Unlike my husband's suburban, and my neighbors Mercedes and BMW, my 2012 GX has had no mechanical issues, even minor, ever! I traded only for new tech options and safety features and because my neighbor wanted to buy my 2012. I wonder if the reviewers have ever really driven in snow... because the is no better SUV in my mind. My teenagers often use the third row and have never complained. The way the back door swings open, even when parallel parked has never been an issue. The blind spot is huge and the addition of the blind spot monitor will be welcome, I did not have it on my 2012. Update: I have now had my GX for about 6 months and put just over 5000 miles on. I am getting used to the adaptive cruise but I wish I could turn it off if needed. The brake assist has prevented an accident when another car pulled in front of me. Compared to my previous 2012 the touchscreen is more difficult to deal with and at times doesn't register my touch (I am due for maintenance and this may just need an update). The most annoying feature is the front camera that comes on at every stoplight and stop sign. When the camera comes on it interrupts any phone call I am trying to make or any commands that I am verbally giving the navigation system, very annoying! On snow the SUV remains amazing and I have driven a subaru, Volvo, highlander and suburban through Wisconsin winters and this SUV is by far superior. Would still highly recommend and would purchase again despite the annoying tech issues.

Expedition Downsizing / Follow-up review

Ron, 08/21/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have been a Ford Expedition family for years and they served us well hauling boats, kids to sporting events, vacations, moving, weddings etc. We were looking for a new expedition and noticed that the power options were limited to 6cyl eco boost. Apparently Ford decided to do away with 5.4 V8. Too bad. We looked at all of the other domestic Suv's and nothing really hit us. By chance we stopped into the Lexus dealership and noticed the GX460.Granted it's not as big as the Expedition but the kids are all married. The ride is firm solid yet refined and in, many ways better that my exp. Fit n finish is excellent . The overall driving experience is second to none. Acceleration is strong and reliable.We still tow the Whaler and it does it with ease and I have no regrets. After 1000miles we re getting 21.8mpg combined while getting 23 highway. We have not seen or experienced the concerns/issues of prior reviewers. It's an excellent Truck! Since the initial review we now have 3 K miles and it just keeps getting better. Driving in bad weather and snow/ice doesn't phase the GX one bit. Really unbelievable traction and no slip whatsoever in some major snow and ice conditions. The most solid and sure footed truck I have ever driven even without haveing to lock it into 4WD. Much better than the expedition ever thought of being. Fit and finish still great no vibrations or unexplained noise or rattles. Most solid truck I have ever had while still being a refined ride. We now have over 6k miles on the Lexus and it drives as good as it did the day we drove it home. My previous comments regarding fit, finish, perfprmance and overall quality are still on point with no degridation what so ever. Truly the best truck ever, exceeding our expectations . Much better than the expedition ever was. To be truthful though I do on rare occasions miss the extra space of the Expedition but not enough to make me go back to one. I just hook up the utility trailer. No regrets. It’s now been two years since we purchased the 2016 Lexus GX460 Luxury Edition and it is truly the best SUV we have ever owned. It is a smooth, quiet, powerful, refined and go anywhere vehicle. No issues at all just fun and great to drive. My wife likes it so much she want one this time I. Red. I guess another trip to the dealer is in order.

GX is great again

Dave, 09/21/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is our third GX. Our '04 GX 470 had almost 200k miles. It's cooling pipe went bust on the freeway, by the time we pulled to the next exit it over heated. It ran another 6 months afterwards before we sold it to CarMax. We bought the new '15 GX and it was totaled a month later after being rear ended by a careless driver. The frame buckled and the rear bumper had the guys front end imprinted on it. I was able to walk away with only a stiff neck.. the other driver had a fractured jaw, broken arm and leg and ribs. The GX saved my live. We bought our third GX a few weeks later. This is a heavy traditional SUV, the acceleration is measured and "stately". Fuel economy is in the high teens, not bad for this type of vehicle. Handling is good if you get used to the truckiness. On the freeway, it is stable and quiet. It's not the quickest, but it does get to 80 to 90 mph before you know it. The only complains I have is the poor placement of the two USB ports in the center console. When plugged in, the sliding hatch cover have to be open. And there are no power ports for the 2'nd row. It got a little irritation having to charge the Kids' ipads on long trips. The Lexus roof rack cross bars are nice looking, however, they sit too close to the roof making tying down cargo a bit difficult. also you need a Torx key to move them. I liked the old GX's roof rack, with plenty of tie in points to strap your cargo. Update, we got side swiped by some guy in a beat up 300. We must be cursed in our GX! The damage was extensive, from the front bumper to the back bumper. The wife barely felt the impact, another testament to the safety of this truck. Luckily only body damage sustained. 6 weeks and $13000 later, the truck was fixed with new bumper, fenders, doors, side step. The only new gripe I have is the stock tires worn out faster than the tire warranty, and the ride is noticeably harsher than before. We will be getting new meats for the truck soon.

A tank

Gil, 10/16/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I don't get this. Why is this truck not getting 5 stars in every review . I traded a 2014 VW Touareg TDI for the Lexus. I got tired of the running that the dealer give me. ( Is normal is a German car, is build for performance). Well, in my eyes , the most important thing is to get me where i want to go without having to call a tow truck. Lexus , please don't pay attention to all these spring journalist that think , they know what and how a truck should perform. Please keep making this truck the way it is. I would love to have that 2.8 diesel engine that is been sold everywhere around the world but <<<< for now i will settle for this silk smooth 4.6 engine . Maybe a little turbo ??? next generation ?? in about four years .

Loooooooove!!!

Lexus fan!, 07/25/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded in my 2013 RX for the 2016 GX, which is what I should have gotten in the first place instead of the RX. Can't say enough about how much I love it. Great ride -- feels much more substantial than the RX (although the RX was great), and has all the features I need. Yes, the new remodeled RXs definitely have more bells and whistles but the GX is fantastic!

Lexus...buy it for looks buy it to last..

Eric, 08/21/2018
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2017 Lexus GX 460 (V8 4x4) as I simply wanted a vehicle to work, be reliable and look great doing it whilst holding it's value. I can not believe the few whiny, sniveling folks who have complained about nothingness (e.g): "not the best fuel economy" - if 15 to 20+ mpg is bad to you, then you can not afford this excellent vehicle anyway. -Eric (from Coeur d'Alene)

This Is My Second Lexus GX

Patrick, 09/15/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Drove a 2006 Lexus GX for 10 years and 130,000 miles. Not one problem from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. In August 2016 I purchased a new 2016 GX 460. It is a solid car; extremely quiet and the workmanship is high quality. Very pleased with it. I looked a numerous SUVs ( not crossovers ) and kept coming back to the Lexus GX. For the money it is a good value. Anticipate driving this one for another 10 years.

Please make a V8 4Runner again Toyota!

Mike, 11/20/2015
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying we did NOT buy this because of the badge on the hood! I have read so many comments at the bottom of reviews for the GX that rip it shreds and proclaim it nothing more than a mall crawler, trophy wife truck and an outdated one at that. I will not disagree that in many instances those comments apply, but I applaud Toyota for offering a BOF SUV with a V8, I only wish I didn't have to buy a Lexus to get it. This vehicle is for my wife, and yes she's my trophy and yes she does a fair amount of mall crawling, BUT....we also regularly tow a travel trailer and aren't afraid to traverse trails, cross small streams or other off road activities with bikes mounted on the roof, kids and dogs in the back. We actually NEED capability and USE it! I am a long time Toyota fan, having owned multiple Tacomas and Lexus LS400's when I was in sales and I can't say enough good about their quality and longevity. I sold my last LS400 with 267k on the odometer running strong! With a travel trailer, two kids and a dog the '03 Tacoma double cab V6 wasn't cutting it for tow duties any longer and we test drove and fell in love with the 4Runner's looks and attitude. What I didn't fall in love with was the 4.0L V6 and 4,700 lb tow rating. With that bad news, my research led me to the "Lexified" version of the 4Runner, aka GX460. From the moment we drove it, she loved the interior feel, looks(controversial) and smooth V8. I liked the 6,500lb tow rating and the interior upgrades over the 4Runner. We looked at Tahoes/Yukons but didn't need that much size, looked at Jeep GC's but wanted a 3rd row and also looked at the Land Rover LR4. I absolutely loved the LR4 and was smitten with it's feel, looks, heritage and off road prowess. She didn't care for it at all, and since we plan to keep this vehicle for a long time I figured it was much wiser to go with a Toyota rather than a Land Rover. I quickly realized that Toyota took a smart pill and figured out "Why sell a V8 4Runner, when you can push consumers to the Lexus brand?" We bought in hook, line and sinker. It's a great truck, albeit heavy,thirsty, and expensive but if you want or need to tow and go off road your choices are pretty limited these days. I'm confident it will serve us well for years to come. If you don't have a need for "duty" get an RX or one of the other countless lifted sedans out there. 11/23/16 Update We have owned the vehicle for a year now and towed a 3,500lb camper over a thousand miles on two occasions. The truck doesn't mind a bit and transports its occupants in style and comfort. A couple caveats: 1) We have seen significantly better mileage using premium fuel, not sure why. 2) It returns about 9-12 MPG when towing our camper 3) It sags a bit more than I care for when towing, but we do not have the self-leveling suspension. 4) The "leather" on the seats is sub-par for a $57,000 truck in my opinion. It is my understanding that this model is going away after 2017, so if you want/need a big body on frame SUV for towing in style with Toyota quality you'd better act quickly.

Get one before they are gone for good.

Free Thinker, 12/17/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

i have owned many Toyota and Lexus products through out the years and they have all been great. This is my first GX. What a truck! It's luxury meets old school solid off road warrior. I lease my cars and got a Lease quote on a 4 Runner with the TRD package, which I loved, but it's not the type truck you can take to an opera, plus the lease program was not so great. Then I looked at the 2017 GX 460 base model Black exterior with Sepia Nu Lux imitation leather interior and all the 4x4 goods that come on this truck. I was amazed how great it drove and just how old school it still felt, but in a good way. This thing is a true off roader and it's based more on the Land Cruiser Prado than the 4 runner. With driverless cars and the electric vehicles being the desired way of the future. I can't imagine this rough and Tough Lexus being made available to much longer and replaced with something more trendy. For us 4x4 truck lovers. Now is the time to grab a 4Runner, GX, land cruiser before they are gone just like the FJ. I love my GX because it's everything the 4Runner is and much more. Will be buying mine at the end of the lease which is fortunately my option to do so, plus the resale value is so good it's truly a no brainer.

Reliability and Comfort

Terrence Cardwell, 12/26/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The GX is a bargain. It's extremely comfortable to drive and it holds the road better than any SUV I've driven. It's quiet and comfortable yet it's powerful and agile. There's not a better deal out there. The car is very safe to drive. The cross traffic warning and large rear view camera come in handy when parking, backing up, and maneuvering in close spaces. This is my second GX and I have yet to experience a quality issue or have need of a repair. It's quiet and handles poor road conditions very well.

45 days in - very pleased

Pleease., 03/14/2019
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We had a beautiful 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that we loved, but at 133k miles the repairs were getting costly (replace air suspension, 2k; headlight module, 1k, etc.), and we needed better rear passenger space. When I'd show my wife pics of potential Jeep replacements, she'd say "looks like a van!" (MDX, Pilot, etc.), and sometimes "where's the wooden steering wheel" - mostly joking, having been spoiled by the fancy Jeep trim. We typically buy late-model used, and came across a certified 2016 GX460 "premium" (aka middle grade) with 29k, black with tan interior, super clean. So far really enjoying the solid feel, quality of materials, the touch of "truckiness" (always enjoyed how the Jeep rocked a little going over the curb), etc. - a very nice machine. Like others, I'm amused by the "professional reviewers" who call it a "behemoth", "vague", "desperately in need of updating" and so on. The thing is essentially the same size as the Jeep, and yet even though the GX is an old-ish design, they got so much more out of the interior space. The 2nd row is definitely roomier, and while we haven't used row 3 yet, at least it has one. And it's an absolute pleasure to drive - strong acceleration, but you need to put your foot into it....not one of those quick-jump-but-no-guts power curves - and the transmission is like butter. The Jeep's tranny used to annoy me, pausing between gears when going up a sharp hill - would need to manual shift too often. Also I don't know the diameter or height of the wheels, but even though they're 18" they have to be as tall as the low-profile 20"s on the Jeep....and of course they absorb shock SO much better. Finally, just about every high-quality 3 row SUV with a reasonable # of miles was in the same general price range. Frankly that made the used-GX choice somewhat easy in terms of value.

Love this car!

13414114, 10/04/2017
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We've had this Lexus for around a year now and it's been great! Very reliable, and nice styling. We chose this over the 4Runner because of more luxury options and better exterior styling. I wish we had the second row captain's chairs, but that's only on higher trims. It's overall a very nice car. We've taken it on a long road trip and it was great. Rear entertainment is a great feature, too. You can't go wrong!

The Ultimate SUV

First Lexus, 06/23/2018
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The GX is amazing! After two years of ownership, I continue to be pleased. Everything is great, and love the rear control A/C and heat, styling, and the feel and quietness of the drive. I do wish the rear camera was better, but that isn’t a big deal, it works. My only complaint is that I wish it gave more warning when low on fuel, seems to just pop up all the sudden. Everything looks and works great, no regrets here!

2016 GX460 AWESOME CAR

Applefritter1, 08/29/2019
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Currently have 11,500 miles on it. Didn't ever have to use 3 year warranty, and have only taken in for service. Towed Airstream Bambi (19ft) with ease. Very comfortable ride, good on ice and snow. Overall, excellent car.

2016 GX460

stephen peng, 09/06/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is the SUV, not crossover or anything like the BMW X5 or Acura MDX. It drives like a true SUV should be. I have less then 1000 miles on it. I consider it as a full size and luxury type of the Toyota FJ curser. Which is the go everywhere kind of vehicle. I am very happy with the vehicle.

Best most comfortable suv

Ramiro garcia, 08/03/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

It is very comfortable and quiet.

My 1st Lexus

Paula, 08/02/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I love this car! For all the complaints listed in the Edmunds rating, I'm not finding them to be true. I will definitely be buying another in the future.

GREAT BUY!!!

RDY36, 07/16/2016
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I love the buy and my only knock is that you have to get the lux package for the optional rear entertainment package.

New GX 460

Paula Flaherty, 12/13/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this car after driving 4Runners for 25 years. Considered it to be more luxurious version of my previous cars. Finding so many features I don't like: needs hi-test gas, poor gas mileage, poor interior design (cup holders in awkward posituon, less accessible places for change etc), awkward side-opening back door (does not protect me from rain, awkward loading large packaged).

Thanks Lexus

Material Man, 02/02/2020
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

For giving me a solid well built body on frame SUV with a V8, full time 4wd with low range and a center locking differential. I can go where I want, when I want, tow 6500 lbs, and do it in comfort and quiet with a great sound system, while feeling safe every mile. It has been worth every penny I paid for it. Update, 8/20. I have had absolutely no issues with the GX. I drove it 700 miles yesterday and enjoyed the trip. My best mileage was 23.2, which I think is very good for a vehicle this size with a V8. Great vehicle! Update: The GX couldn’t be doing any better! I have not had a single issue, not a squeak or rattle. Love it!

One great Lexus

Gene Avera, 06/20/2016

You cannot go wrong buying the Lexus GX 460 premium

What an expensive mistake!!

AL, 05/17/2017
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I use my 2016 Lexus GX 460 all day every day and I am reminded of how much I regret my purchase. My only consolation is the smooth ride and it ends there. The GPS is not accurate, telling you "you have arrived" if you are in the vicinity. I do not expect the GPS to drop me off at the exact location, but at least bring me to the right street. Also when you are "close enough" in their opinion, it tells you to "look at the the map". I am not new to GPS cars and this is the worst I've ever used. Even the Ford Focus car rental GPS is way better. I find myself using my phone to navigate which is counter productive considering I supposedly have a GPS in the car. Another concern is you have to press the screen 4x to just get air conditioning, adjust the amount of air, or change direction of air. This is a hazard when driving. The Apps also do not work. I cannot even use the Pandora and always get a "tether error." How can Lexus make electronics so complicated than what they should be? Their engineers should test drive and use their electronics to experience the pain of using it. Horrible!!!!!

Bulletproof reliability - but terrible otherwise

Vic A., 11/25/2016
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This SUV is built like a tank with reliability, durability and longevity second to none. The interior is nicely done and of course its off road prowess is also second to none. The ride is also surprisingly comfortable and absorbent for a true body-on-frame SUV designed to tackle some really tough terrain. Sadly that is where the positives end. The GX masquerades as a "luxury" vehicle when it is not luxurious in the least. There is more to a luxury vehicle than putting some leather and some fancy gadgets inside. The GX has one of the ABSOLUTE WORST powertrains there is. The engine is simply horrendous! It is EXTREMELY noisy, sounding like a vacuum-cleaner on the slightest of grades. Even on the freeway at about 60 to 70 mph the exhaust drone gets very tiring after a while. Pretty shocking for so called "luxury" vehicle. The engine is also not the smoothest and pretty bad actually for a V8. There are some on here that have stated that this vehicle is "extremely quiet". These folks are likely certifiably DEAF if they can't here the constant droning from the engine, which is the worst from around 1800 RPM to around 2600 RPM. That was an absolute deal breaker for me, and it is why I got rid of mine, even though this was a very difficult decision, as I do consider reliability as one the top most important aspects of a vehicle. In short, I do not recommend this vehicle at all. If it were a bare bones vehicle it would probably be OK, but for a high end luxury vehicle it is a joke!

Lexus still can't get technology and support down!

Donald McNatty, 05/05/2017
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd GX 460. I love how it drives and handles. When my 2012 came off lease I went to another brand because Lexus was not keeping up with the technology such as remote start, adaptable cruise control, integration with smart phones... But shortly after getting my wife her 5th RX I checked out the advances in the 2017 GX technology and appeared they'd done a good job catching up, so I pulled the pin on a 2017 in Dec 2016 and everything was great until March. I've got Lexus Technology Support on "speed dial" I've talked to them so much. Enform remote just refuses to work. Started out as "system upgrade issue" and went down hill from there. Three times I've been told that they have to "create a special ticket to resolve my issue and someone will contact me in 24-48 hrs". NEVER HAPPENED! Even the local dealer tech guy has been frustrated in trying to help me out. You would think that a company that builds great cars, has great dealers (I've bought 7 Lexus's since 2000), would be able to roll out a technology upgrade without screwing it up. Check out the user reviews at http://lexus-enform-app-suite.appstor.io/app-reviews.

Refined Lexus!!!

Ken, 07/02/2019
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Exelent complete vehicle! Strong, economical, AWD V-8, VERY reliable!!

What I needed

Jay Johnson, 06/15/2020
4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I was looking for a midsized SUV that could tow a decent load and have a good 4 wheel drive system. I have a boat on a mountain lake where we also have a house with a fairly steep driveway. The GX has a standard equipped 6,500 tow rating which is much better than most in the class. It also can really take on any road condition well ahead of its competitors. You may get a fancier looking vehicle in this class, but with a Lexus nameplate and the capability there is not many that present the value you get with this vehicle. 70,000 miles in now and no issues.

Love it

Jody, 08/01/2020
Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Powerful, beautiful, luxurious, smooth riding, all wheel drive, very off road capable, and affordable. You can’t lose!

51050