Used 2001 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Sephia

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Glad they are out of Production
By Kaylalee

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Honestly, I thought we were getting a good deal. Really cheap...SO NOT WORTH IT! Since we got the car we have put about $6000 in repairs. Not only have we replaced the ENTIRE brake line once, we have also replaced the roters twice, the battery twice the spark plugs about 12 times, the alternator, a cylinder, the fan belt (4 times in less than 4 years). The driver side door no longer works (leaving the driver to climb over the seat and try their luck at the passenger door which only opens from the outside. When it's cold the doors don't close so you have to wait for the car to heat up enough to close them or hold them while going down the road. The car is quite literally a death trap.

Gas mileage isn't bad when it is running!

Everything!!! The car is junk on wheels!

Good used car
By Charm

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only owned for 3 months but very impressed so far - bought for only $2300 with 130K and have put on 10K without a problem and seems like it'll go on for many more miles. I've already made my $ on it considering we mostly drive trucks that are difficult to park and get about 12mpg. Agile and peppy engine, decent fuel mileage (getting in the mid 20's) in stop and go traffic.

Interior and exterior appearance, agility and performance.

Body panels are very fragile - dents easily...don't kick the doors closed!

2001 Kia Sephia - It's been a headache..
By Mike

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I would love to give the reader a thumbs up for this car. But I can't. Had to replace: tranny at 100k mi. $1000, serp belt (always squeaky!), spark plugs; wires, alternator $260, both headlights, all manner of front end work probably amounting to $1200. Sheet metal is easy to dent and scratch. Have to slam trunk to get it to latch. Parking brake needs replaced. Drivers-side strut&spring needs replaced. Wheel bearing going bad quick-like. Doors FREEZE open in winter (Michigan). This is so annoying. You cant even imagine until you experience having to use a bungee. Driver door lock stuck in lock position. Had to take off door panel to fix. Other than all this, it is a fabulous car.

Peppy for a 4-banger. I bought it at 80,000 mi - now at 140,000 mi. Car has a good over all look. Interior is fairly spacious, comfy. Good point of view for driver. Good turning radius. Good sound system. Bad wiring. Can be fun to drive.

RAWR! P.S. Interior is ugly, and cheap, oh and chintzy. Its a love/hate kind of thing. Hope this helps.

Happy
By snowie2day

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia as a college student and was very happy all 7 years I owned the car. Though I am not in the market for another compact car I would and have recommended my Kia to my friends and family.

Price! I only brought the vehicle in to be serviced probably 3-4 times over its life time. Very reliable!

My only real complaint was the latch to pop the trunk from the interior would stick - and in the end after 7 years its was showings it age - but again economy.

First Car
By Class of '09

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car given to me by my mother.She bought a Ford and handed me the Kia. So I had nothing to compare it to. I would have to say it was and still is a good car. It's never broken down, or had any major problems. Only regular maintenance. My only complaint is that when i have the heat or a/c on the car's acceleration is greatly slowed. This may be due to its age but at times it can be annoying.

With the rising gas prices $30 still fills up my tank. At the same time its not a tiny car that will fall over if you lean on it. I am a Tall girl and I need my leg room.

The interior is a big turn off. The seats are for the most part fine. But the ugly gray dash and oddly black control panel are an eye sore.