Used 1997 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Safe car!
By Arin

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as my first car with over 200,000 miles on her. The previous owner didnt take very good care so she ran odd at first but after fixing parts and maintaining her properly she ran great. Yes parts are difficult to find but i did my research and it shares the same engine as the miata mx5 and the mazda protege. For how old the engine is its maintaining a desent mpg of 22 mixed. Now for the safety i ended up going into a wall at around 70mph front first after another driver ran me off the road and with the airbags being nearly 20 years old they still deployed and did me no harm. My front bumper was smashed up to my wheels and i was able to walk away with only a bruised hip. I owe my car much gratitude that my family can have me this christmas

Having problems with the idel in this car!!
By rose85bud89

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car alittle over amonth ago. It is agreat car, but there is something wrong with the idel. When you drive it, its okay...but while you are stopped or in park it idels really high. There is also asmall piece that is on the car, that still works but there is some part broken where the hose is suppose to go, we think that might be the problem, but no one knows what this part is or called just something to do with the idel.

Love how small the car is and how much power it has.

The idel is very off. Aslo when we are stopped it jurks and sputters then idels very high as well...so need some help with this problem.

Low Price Transportation
By manolito

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this 15 exterior color combination with a toredown interior. This little car will get me to school for the next 8 months and I will have no major or minor repairs. Yes, I paid $650.00 for it and I drove 56 miles one way to get it.

make this car electric with bateries in the trunk, I know it can be done!!!

fixer-upper
By paul

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this little car last month, and I was pleased at the smooth idle and responsiveness of the engine (148,000 mi!) Runs well, handles well, and has decent gas mileage(28?). A couple of annoyances: the radio doesn't work, and the check engine light is on, and I have no turn signals. I think it will be a good car, though..I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of room and it seats 4 fairly comfortably. I would not discourage someone from buying a kia, even an old one with a lot of miles.

acceleration,gas mileage, roomy interior and trunk

better materials for interior like the window cranks and dash vinyl.

A bad two and a half year experience
By silver

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I bought it used for $700 at about 70K miles. I made a mistake of not running the carfax report because the car was in an accident previously. When I bought it, the radio and interior sucked, the check engine light was on, it turned out to be a dead cylinder! It affected the O2 and MAF sensor that I have replaced 4 times already. I have also installed a rebuilt motor, catalytic converter, alternator, axles, wheel bearings, exhaust pipes, starter electrical switch, starter twice, belts and a host of other parts. I have put in about 8-9K into a car that cost me $700. I've been stranded 4 times and my engine has died on rough idle hundreds of times!

Nothing.

It's suitable for a beginner or someone that does limited driving. I don't plan on buying another Korean car, so I don't care. Although I do think the newer Kias are better.