Used 2012 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

check before you buy this car!!!!!
By Taylor

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever bought myself. When I first got it, it ran great! I was getting 34 mpg in the city, and about 39 highway. I have had this vehicle for 3 years, and within the last two year I have started having major issues. first off, you cannot get part for this vehicle from an auto parts store. you have to get it from a licensed KIA dealership. two, the engine shakes sometimes. when I am sitting at a red light it starts to shake like it is going to explode. and since the engine started to shake and the way the car is designed, the AC compressor is nicely placed right in front of the radiator overflow. so when the motor shook it burned a hole into the overflow, melting it and making me lose antifreeze and making the radiator cap break. in this specific car, you have to replace the whole radiator to replace the overflow. three, over heating issues and knocking from the motor. I take very good car of this car, it is in for maintenance every 3 months and have the paper work to prove it. but every single summer it over heats no matter how careful I am. four, going up hill... you can step on the gas as hard as you want and it will not go any faster. five, the van does not turn on all the time. I have had the Carfax pulled and there are no records of issues from the previous own. I hope this helps. but I will never buy a KIA again. I paid 9k for this car and I have put over 15k in fixing it. this car isn't worth the stress.

The White Bullet
By Kyle

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The White Bullet has been good to me. In nearly 18,000 miles so far it has had minimal problems. One trip to the dealer for a computer update because of the knock sensor code putting it into limp mode. Other than that just regular maintenance. The manual transmission is great, I love it and bombing around town feels like driving a rally car. Excellent gas mileage on the highway but with many hours behind the wheel I have to say lack of lumbar support isn't great. City driving in "stop and go" traffic is a nightmare but only due to the manual transmission. It has good trunk storage but it could have a bigger door area as fitting larger items is difficult or impossible. A relatively cheap and very reliable vehicle with limited creature comforts earns this one a 3.75 out of 5 in my book.

carbon built up will catch a fire
By spectrans

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

if 87000 kia forte recalled due to fire hazard, what do you think, how many rios are affected? none? if carbon deposits are build up, pressure and temperature rises, and if lucky, a fuse will blow and a car will not operate and a dealership will tell you: no problem found; if not so lucky, you'll car will burn, like forte and then they will make up some wiring fault, ...these cars are good with low miles, but when you put enough miles, sooner or later, due to carbon deposits, they will loose power, acceleration, start to leak, and so on - and the manufacturer are simply ignoring the problem or covering with something else

would buy again
By Judy Davie

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

This has been the perfect car for me. The 100,000 mile/10 year warrantee gives me peace of mind, and when I have had an issue, it has always been covered 100%. Even when my key attachment on my key fob broke. I am 5'6" and the driver's seat and dash are perfect for me. There is a significant blind spot at 5:00 and 7:00 but the mirrors compensate for that. Can be annoying when backing out of a shopping mall parking space. And passengers often voice surprise at how low the passenger seat sits. The only other negative is the road noise which on interstates can be quite loud. The car has a lot of trunk space with a deceptively large amount of vertical storage. The rear seats fold down for even more space to transport oversized objects. Overall, however, I am thrilled with the car and would definitely buy it again.

Stylish small car
By Todd Flom

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Great car for the price, good gas mileage and has a good look