Used 2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Pos jeep liberty
By Jason

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

If you are thinking of buying one dont.

I Wish They Still Made Them
By troopergirl513

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport new in August of 2006. I only had two issues in the first 120,000 miles -- the window issue everyone writes about (which was fixed twice for $200 but both later reimbursed by Chrysler) and an issue with the lens in the tail lights that came loose and busted out the bulbs on a regular basis until they plastic melted away enough to no longer be a problem. I replaced the A/C ($1,900) at around 180,000 miles and am just now retiring her after some larger issues with the ECM and oil leaks at 11 years old and 251,000 miles (I can't justify $1,500 in repairs on a car worth KBB of $3,000). The vehicle is easy to drive and comfortable if you're not expecting a luxury car ride out of an SUV. It has successfully crossed flooded areas over a foot deep and rough national park four wheel drive roads that other SUVs high centered on (and that's with 2WD, not 4WD). My Liberty has been mechanically sound and completely reliable for over 240,000 miles. If they would make me the exact same Jeep today, I would buy another brand new one and be happy to drive it another 11 years.

Head Cylinders 2006 Jeep Liberty
By Hedblom, E

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I previously owned a 2002 Toyota 4 Runner for 13 years. It had over 270,000 miles when it was time to purchase a replacement. Due to financial constraints I had to consider other makes and thought I had found a suitable replacement in a 2006 Jeep Liberty in my affordable price range from a used car dealer. The car appeared to be in great shape, drove reasonably well and had ONLY 60,00 miles on it. I have owned the car now for about ten months and have replaced BOTH Head Cylinders, Engine Camshaft and 2 front wheel speed sensors. The total out of pocket cost was over $6,000. To the Service Assistant's credit I was given a small discount and loaner for the car while it was in for repair on the second Head Cylinder replacement. I can understand the speed sensors but TWO (2) Head Cylinders is hard to justify! Some research did indicate that Chrysler did have complaints and were aware of misfiring problems but never did a recall. There is no way i would recommend a Jeep or any Chrysler vehicle with the expectation that the car was not going to make it to 70,000 miles without such major cost.

Short but Stout
By Henry McCray

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Has higher towing capacity than most other small SUV. Plenty of engine torque for on-ramp entrance and to get over the Smoky Mountains. Make sure trailer has brake system to assist in quick stop situations.

Love Hate Relationship
By Haley

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my liberty off of my aunt at 54,000 mi. She was the only owner and took great care of it. I loved this jeep so much until it started breaking down on me left and right. I have had to replace the brive bar 2x, the starter crapped the bed, both rear windows went out (electric, they just dropped). We had door stoppers in the windows... it completely died on me and started smoking in the middleof a 70 mile stretch of mountain road (it didnt overheat) and the mechanics couldnt fond the issue. She started back up after the towe... the hydraulics went out in the rear window so we ad to lift it and hold our heads under it to load anything in the back... 3-5 recalls, there is so much more but thats just naming a few... its comfortable for a short time but long drives began to hurt my back (1.5+ hr). The fuel economy is horrid we averaged 15.5 city and 19/20 hwy. It sucked me dry but we do a lot of driving. Honestly it was a huge burden and im so thankful ive now traded it in and am extremely hesitant to ever consider another Jeep.