Used 2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Liberty for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...86

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

This Jeep sums up why I love cars

Carpassion96, 10/26/2017
Rocky Mountain Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been a fantastic machine for the 14 years that my mother and I owned it. It was handed down to me during senior year of HS in 2014 and has taken me from California to my current home in Chicago. Its been there through the good and bad of my life. The lack of traction control, ABS and 4WD means that it's fun to drive, especially in rain and snow. We were pretty consistent with the maintenance and as a result, it has been as reliable, if not more than Japanese cars. The only things I can remember going bad were the A/C condenser (in the desert on the way to Vegas, ugh) the radiator, the rear window regulators (which are notoriously prone to failure in Libertys), and worn valve cover gaskets. Other than that, the engine and transmission is still running strong. The suspension is also holding up okay. A few interior bits are broken, worn or torn but thats expected in an American car of this vintage. If you can find a sub-200,000 or even a sub-150,000 mile example with a pretty decent maintenance history, then buy one. This car can last well above 200,000 or even 300,000 if taken care of. Maybe even more. Its just that good.

3 out of 5 stars
2 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars

Perfect SUV

zakk, 01/06/2016
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

perfect off road vehicle! Our Wisconsin winters are harsh, but the liberty plows through it like nothing. great room for tall people, amazingly fun to drive, great handling, decent gas mileage, great power/torque, 5,000 ft/lbs, its a tank. buy one now

4.13 out of 5 stars

Wonderful with flaws

camrice, 07/31/2013
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful car, fabulous on the highway or in the city, good engine noise down low, and a great throaty roar up top. Short wheelbase makes parking a breeze but sacrifices ride comfort and interior space. 5 people is a squeeze unless one or more is a small child. fun to drive in the city, corners well when not driving extremely aggressively, perfect for whipping around backstreets. However, when you really push it it does feel like it will roll, which is a sacrifice made to provide ground clearance for off roading. Speaking of off roading, this thing can handle anything a sensible person can throw at it. Indiana snow is no match for the 4-wheel drive, weather in low or high settings.

4.63 out of 5 stars

LOVED IT

Sean Jackson, 03/24/2015
Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 Liberty 2wd I purchased in 2007 with 20k miles. Other than the window motors on the drivers side going out all I ever had to do was change a couple headlight bulbs, change the oil, and 2 sets of tires. Never even put a set of brakes on the thing! It handled everything I threw at it and I never once thought twice about driving it across the country. I sold it with 180k miles on it in 2014 and I absolutely miss it. I will be in the market for a 4 door Wrangler soon!

3.5 out of 5 stars

Great Overall - Mileage Could Improve

pcmr57, 01/13/2010
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in September 2008 with 50000 miles(80000 km). Towing is rated for 5000lb which is impressive for it's class. I pulled about 3000 lbs with no issues with no trailer brakes. The 60/40 Full Time 4x4 mode is truly excellent in deep snow. It has good traction with Rear Drive Mode with snow tires as well. I've only put 12000 miles on it and the only things gone wrong are air bag control module and broken fan belt. Got a module on Ebay for $75.00. One recent tank I averaged 14 mpg(US) (17 imp) with mostly hwy miles. Best hwy mileage ever was 17 mpg(US) (21 imp) hwy on a full tank highway drive. Worst mileage was 10 mpg(US) (12imp) with all city driving in winter months.

12345...86