Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

A Beast
By balexander800

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1998 XJ was given to me by my father. Although it is rather old it still can open up and be just as powerful as the day my family bought it. So far it has over 210,000 miles on it and still runs and looks like a champ. There hasn't been a single time I've been stuck somewhere or unable to get where I needed to go. Service on this Jeep is nearly never needed as long as the oil gets changed and the gas if full. The only issue I've had is with the gas mileage. However, you can have gas mileage or you can have power and a strong, well- built car.

Engine (4.0L) - The inline-6 is a true workhorse Built - You can tell American passion went into the creation of the Jeep line back in the 90's

Gas mileage Engine Cooling Fan placement, makes noise after a while..

It's a Jeep
By Rodney

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

Purchased 98 Jeep in '06 with 70,000 K's in Australia. Have spent last 3 years towing a caravan on a mobile ministry and wouldn't replace it. Now has 135,000k's on the clock and apart from servicing hasn't cost anything. Looks like it will go forever, God willing.

Compact size, smaller than Holden or Ford wagons and it's a Jeep!

Make service data for the computer available, not too many Jeep service centers in Australia.

I'll Miss Mine
By mfern23

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My Mom bought a 98 Cherokee Sport in October 1997 and she said this was the best car she ever owned. A little over six years later this became my car and it lasted another six years. Had some electrical issues (fuel gauge was useless) and one or two major repairs, but when it came down to it this was one reliable vehicle. Fuel economy was decent (16 city/21 hwy), ride was fairly comfortable, and the 4x4 was outstanding. Had to trade her in at 140,595 miles, loved her so much got another Jeep (06 Wrangler Sport, like this one too) but I will always miss her. Honestly, if they still made these Cherokees I would've gotten one.

Of course the 4x4, the car was rugged and could perform in inclement weather. I never worried about this car not being able to handle anything thrown at it's way, and this was with no offroading mods. The Cargo Space was nice as well, especially for a college vehicle.

Does me no good complaining about this now, but it would've been nice to have a working fuel gauge! There were other occasional electrical problems like the speedometer would fall to 0 randomly while driving and it would last a few minutes sometimes. Also, it would be nice to bring these back!

BRING IT BACK PLEASE! BEST JEEP EVER!!!!
By aquaman

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

I recently have bought my 4x4 Jeep Cherokee classic with 110,000 miles and it is the best thing I have ever bought in my entire life I love it! No doubt if they came out with one I would buy it in a heart beat! :) runs great have had no problems with it. Completely reliable with the inline 6 engine! I cant decide if I want to put bigger wheels on it or not because I love the body style so much as it is! Jeep needs to bring it back! Worst move ever by discontinuing it!

none! the whole car is my favorite

sunroof

Bring it back!!!
By Chris

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it with 55K, put a clutch in it shortly after due to previous owner. Now has over 130K. Mechanically more reliable than anything on the road, but the body is rusting pretty bad. Only weak points are the saggy rear leaf springs, all you owners know what I'm talking about! Relatively cheap aftermarket fix though :) Getting hard to get factory parts for due to Chrysler going haywire.

4wd goes absolutely anywhere. 4.0L I6 although not a speed demon, will pull a house down. Had it sideways @ 55+MPH and didn't roll over.

Like the Cummins Diesel, boost the Hp with a 24 valve head.