Used 1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Destined to be a true classic
By XJ 4Ever

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

This one of those cars you wish later you had bought when you had the chance. I got the chance and have been falling in love ever since. I love how this Jag rides, drives and feels oh so solid. The engine took a little getting used to as it is the last of the straight six 4.0 (USA), and feels (and sounds) like you are starting up a WWII warplane. Once running it is pretty smooth but not buttery and revvy like the V8 that replaced it or the other typical competition. Instead is feels solid and reliable, which it happens to be in spades. If you get a chance to pick up one of these gorgeous cars, you will never want to let it go. With the forward hinged hood, single windshield wiper, J-gate shifter, full-sized spare tire, monstrous battery in the trunk, fuel tank behind the back seat, leather everything, real birdseye maple wood coddling you, and a windshield you can actually reach from your seat, this is a unique car to be certain.

UPDATE: My first 10k miles went by quickly, as it is a commuter car for me. Not a single problem encountered. These Jags are made fun of for being less than ideal in the snow, but I put Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires on her, and managed my way without trouble through 4 inches of snow. The heater is superb and warms quickly, having an auxiliary heating pump, which facilitates quicker defrosts as well. I also love the unique single windshield wiper, which cut that cost in half.

My daily companion.
By Chutuo

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

I bought this to replace my 95 XJ6 which I still own for parts. Some minors electrical issues cause a delay in the MD registration process but now that is registered, I am happy. I drove the 95 for years and it is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. 6 years and only had to replace the water pump one, which I did myself. Bottom line is this, I have now owned 2 of these, they both cost less than 6000$ and they have taken me anywhere I wanted to go on the EAST coast very reliably. AT 145000, I am hoping to keep it for another 10 years at least. The car is heavy as a tank, sturdy as a tank, rather frugal on gas, yet provides the smoothest ride you would find in the category. I have owned Hyundai, Mercedes, Toyotas and VWs, but this is one car done right! Ever indebted to the connoisseur who inducted me into the cult of quality jags.

Jaguar VPD 1996 good car
By James

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Love this Jaguar. Great road car, and family car. Added 20 inch rims, and tires. I could not drive this car without modern rims. Looks too.dated. Had a few bugs to iron out, electronics, starting issues. Perfect family, business car.

I am ELEGANCE
By BRENDA MILLER

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

The Vanden Plas is one great ca r in tip shape, this ca r had 1other owner beside myself and it was 'kept' as I did, only until it was transported out of state to Florida from California did she start looking her 'age', it ran like a jet ride and despite popular opinions~ did NOT require HIGH maintenance, a tune up, new tires, and a paint job (make over) would make it your pride & joy, If you find one and can afford to put it on TOP again...DO IT!

I miss my jag.
By juegavivobuay

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

To began this, I was 17 when my dad gave me his jag in favor for his s500 mercedes. A jag wasnt cool in school so i wanted something different. Nonetheless, a elegant, smooth, and deceptively fast car. I can still hear the deep roar from the engine. Seats had good support, carpet very soft, and the back seat very spacious. Good steering feel and surpisingly not to bad on gas and I always drove in sport mode.

2nd gear+ acceleration interior build quality and room massive trunk Smooth, very smooth ride foglights and rear foglights jag eblem on the hood. omg long elite body styling

Differential went out at around 170,000. Possibly from doing doughnuts.haha Glass sunroof instead of steel moonroof. Car steered like a boat. Not very direct with the road. opposite of bmw.