Used 2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Lucky find
By Mark

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 4 years and only replaced the battery, had a sensor replaced, and replaced the window cable. This car was 57K new and I bought her with 52K miles for only $5300. Mine looks almost new, thank you. Thank God ignorant people are afraid of these cars. Winner winner, lobster dinner!

Research for parts
By Paul Grzechowiak

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

the valve cover gaskets start to leak every couple of years allowing oil to fill up spark plug compartment, and shorting out ignition coils. 0n V6 models you can not access coils, and spark plugs without taking off big intake pipes on cylinder numbers 1-2-3. You must be careful not to break small plastic line coming from top radiator hose going to overflow canister, when removing valve cover, or just inspecting hose's. Another big headache is finding bushings for upper, and lower control arm bushings for front, and rear. without bushings the car squeaks, and can cause vibration. Recommend you do not buy cheap front lower ball joints. The driver side power window system is always breaking. I have replaced 3 times, with more problems. If you do not search for parts you will pay way too much.

Absolutely Fabulous
By Michelle

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I shopped used Jags online for over 6 months before I was ready to purchase...When i finally shopped in real life, there were a lot of dogs out there! Be careful, if it looks like Gremlins lived in it, you can bet maintenance wasn't performed! Shop around! Even though my car is 16 years old, people ask me if she's new! I would not have considered buying had I not known this model was built under the ownership of Ford... [my previous cars were Lincoln Mark 8, 96 T-bird, 90 T-bird, and a 78 Mustang II, so I'm sort of partial to Fords!] My husband says it should be no more difficult to repair, if the time comes, than my Lincoln which i drove for 14 years...It is a perfect car for my job as a Realtor, gives me instant cred! She is a real head turner, and stands out as special in a sea of Mercedes and BMWs. I have had no issues since I bought her, and I always smile when I get in! It has the V8 power I love, and a smooth ride my clients love! I do wish it had more of today's technology, and plan to upgrade that as Nav and bluetooth phone are really a necessity in my profession.
2 years since I wrote this review and she has only needed minor maintenance. New Oxygen Sensors. As far as O2 sensors go they were inexpensive ($275 w/ installation) . I also replaced a battery. I feel these items are merely maintenance. Other than that she has been reliable as hell, quick as a bunny, and a knockout in the looks Dept.

Incredible
By Nookpad

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I don't understand why people dislike these cars so much. I believe it boils down to the attitude of the owner. A 2000 Honda Civic driver says they have the most reliable car ever and they love it ( 2 of the windows don't roll down, interior is falling apart but it still starts stops and gets them places so therefore it's great.) Meanwhile you ask a 2000 jag owner and a window stops rolling down and its the worst car they've ever owned.
THE CAR IS 15 YEARS OLD ITS GOING TO HAVE A FEW ISSUES!
So far the only thing I've had to do to my S-Type is replace a window regulator ($30) and replace the MAF sensor ($30) both of which I did myself. It is RWD so it absolutely sucks in the snow but I got sedan chains that make it drive great during the winter. I feel that jag owners want to scare people off with expensive repair bills just because they believe they are too good for everyone else to drive one.
Obviously if you don't care about the quality and enjoyment of owning a nice car by all means go for the Honda Civic. It will be easier for you to fix yourself if something happens and it is more fuel efficient. However, if you enjoy a fast fun luxury car the Jaguar s-type is amazing!

The cr has been traded in. I am no longer own it.
By Linda Soto

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

Has anyone else had rear view mirror problems on a 2000 type S model? My rear view mirror allows me to see the back seat, not out the back window. Is there a solution? This problem ruins the enjoyment of driving this car.