Used 2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

Not overly impressed over full life of car
By Daddio

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

Owned this car for 5 years and still drive it. Transmission surges at low speeds. 2. Radio display quits every 6 months. Have to disconnect battery to reboot. 3. Blind spots all over this car. 4. poor traction In snow. 5. It is reliable engine wise. 6. It still attracts attention while driving. 7. Tire replacement is expensive. 8. Engine lags if you do not gas it. 9. Rough suspension you feel every bump. 10. Rebate system on mistating gas mileage is a joke. 11. Warranty support is a joke. Won't fix surging transmission because their diagnostics will not return an error code. 12. Good commuting car as long as it doesn't snow. 13. Some trouble getting in and out but I am a fairly big man.

never again
By ses

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Red, Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We have owned the car for 4 years as its my wifes commuter car. The local dealer ship is one of the worst in the Tallahassee area. They care about the "sale" only. The vaunted warranty is worthless. Only covers if all the maint is done at their facility ,so no doing your own oil changes. The car always had something wrong with it from ECU updates to recalls on the glass roof,brakes, leaking headlights. Head unit with radio always had problems from volume knob no longer working to just cutting off for no reason. Cruise control worked when it wanted to which was not all the time . Advertised at 40 mpg but never got better than 32 on interstate commute Resale value was a joke on a miata,but hooray ,its gone

Mixed feelings on Ownership!!
By burban

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Bought my 2012 used in august of 2013 with 5 thousand miles. I currently have 30 thousand on the car. Mine is modified. All suspension modifications. None to the engine, transmission, or exhaust. With some suspension modifications it transforms this car. I compete in autocross events and the car is competitive. Now don't get me wrong on a more laid out course it doesn't have the power to turn fast times. But on most courses I run that are small and tight the car is great. I know this doesn't apply to most people. Just saying the cars chassis is very good. The right setup makes for a very good neutral and balanced car. However this car has not been what I would say is reliable. My warranty runs out in August of 2017 and that scares me. Here is most things that have gone wrong: I have had 3 steering wheels replaced because of peeling, 2 shifters replaced because of peeling, multiple speakers, battery terminal fell off, gear in steering column broke, paint fade on molding by sunroof, rear hatch button disintegrated, and the radio has needed multiple updates. All these things have been covered under warranty. I call most of this stuff minor. The mechanicals of the car have been bulletproof so far. And I am not easy on the car. But nonetheless it is a trip to the dealer which is a hassle. Other things now. The acceleration isn't horrible. No its not fast by no means but it was never designed to be a fast car. People need to remember its an economy hatchback and not a sports car. Mine is a manual which is much better that the dual clutch automatics. The interior of the car is excellent save some of the crap material Hyundai like to call leather. The seat are some of the best I have ever sat in. The controls are easy to use. Overall I do enjoy this car and I do get a lot of compliments and I have been asked a lot "what kind of car is that". Its different and stands out. Like my title reads I have mixed feeling. I do like the car but I am concerned about repairs after the warranty runs out. Also mileage is ok. I drive mine mostly all city and get 28 mpg. And I drive it hard. On our trip to new Orleans 1500 miles round trip it got 38 mpg running 70 mph the whole way.

Hyundai Paint Problems
By V. Carter

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought the car new 4 years ago. The paint on the top and sides of the car has faded. The clear coat on the rear bumper peeled and the dealer would not repaint it citing the 3 year warranty on paint. Of course, the clear coat peel didn't show up until 3 1/2 years of ownership. If you are considering buying a used one look the paint over carefully. If you are considering a new one--DON'T BUY IT.

Great car exterior, acceleration is horrible
By Peter

2012 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I was loaned this car while my new car was in line for being certified and it was not until another week from Fox Honda until my car was ready to drive. Exterior aesthetics are really nice, that's when I began to drive it I notice it was quite under performing. Brief overview, acceleration is like those in a manual transmission car; even though this car has both dual-clutch and 5-speed auto transmission. Suspension is horrible if you have no intention of driving over potholes, so it will be a very bumpy ride unless you navigate around them. The tires are thin, which is expected on a sports car like this. The upside is that it has Bluetooth and I paired it with my phone quite easily. Car also is equipped with XM Sirius, FM, AM, CD disc changer and you can charge your iPod/iPhone via USB. The car also sports an AUX port if you want to go old-school with music that uses 3.5mm headphone jack. One neat thing about this is that once you remove the key, the dashlight comes on for a brief 10-15 seconds for you to grab your things and exit.