Used 2006 Hyundai Tiburon Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Tiburon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

A lot of repair costs
By Leen

2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT Limited 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have been through a lot with this car. The color of the car and style got attention. I have had the car for 4 years. My first year everything was good then, the radiator went out, and was replaced. The brakes was complicated for this car took it to two places they couldnt fix the brakes, and was costly. I finally started taking it to sears auto cause they can do the brakes very well with this car. Then my door went out on the drivers side, had to climb in and out of the car for a while until I finally got it fixed by a mechanic. Tires went were replaced i this car many times. This car is a gas sucker. When it came to the 4th year at 114,000 miles. it failed to pass smog the the cat and o2 oxgyen sensor was causing the monitors to fail when going for smog, and failed smog. I drove it many miles, and took it many places and no one could fix it. I was sad because the love of my life was driving and depenable and still working. Also I know had another additional to my family and this car was getting to small for my family. I took it to the HYundai, and ened up walking out with a 2015 Hyundai Sonata.

Great Car With Imperfections
By Cristian Arias

2006 Hyundai Tiburon GS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L with a 5 Speed Manual Transmission and I completely fell in love with it. Although it's not a very quick car, it is a fun car to drive. The looks on this car are very sporty and beautiful. I did feel the interior quiet cheap. The stock spoiler is plastic so the paint starts to fade away. One common thing about this car is 2nd gear. 2nd gear has a problem with getting into and most times grinds. I eventually had it fixed by adjusting the clutch. Another poor thing is the clutch. The clutch doesn't last very long. I found myself getting stuck in 5th gear and Reverse. Clutch does have a good feeling to it. Not too heavy, not too light. Another thing I found was the electronics are not reliable. This car has a button as if it was to open a window that was used to open the trunk. The trunk did not open unfortunately so I had to open it with the key. Comfortability was okay. I found myself getting pain in my back when I drove pretty far. I am 5'11 and I fit pretty well but I could feel my hair slightly touch the ceiling. When I sit in the back, I find myself having to put my legs up on all seats to be comfortable. The cup holders are in the way of your elbow when shifting. That was one of the things I hated about this car. The trunk space is good. I could carry my soccer bag, school backpack, and my instruments pretty well in it. The brakes are not very well done. When I would brake at times, I could feel my brake pedal stuttering. The headlights do not light up the road pretty good. I would have to use to foglights for more vision. I'm not sure if it was the aftermarket lights or if it is also on the stock headlights. Lastly, I could say this car holds up pretty well during wrecks. I recently got into a 2 impact wreck that destroyed my car. I came out with minor injuries. I came out with slight pain. One thing I noticed were that the airbags did not deploy. I did not hit my head during the wreck. Overall, this car is great and amazing to drive, but very cheap.

2006 model purchased in 2008!
By Lacey C

2006 Hyundai Tiburon GS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2006 Tiburon in 2008 at 30,000 miles! As an 18 year old this was a dream. For the price I financed, the vehicle depreciated in value rather quickly. I was "upside down" after only 2 years, the amount I owed was more than the car was worth. That's the thing about Hyundai though! HOWEVER, I drove the heck out of this car daily, I needed new brakes and new battery in 2011 at around 130,000 miles. (This is amazing for the amount of mileage and wear I put on this vehicle) In July 2014 at 154,000 miles, the car began overheating daily and therefore we replaced the radiator. I drove it fine until December 2014 when it randomly overheated one winter day and the following morning would not start. At 160,000 miles the car required a totally new engine. The cost of the engine replacement was more than the car was valued at the time but I sucked it up and replaced it anyway. I vowed to keep up with the oil changes on schedule!! After the new engine, we lived happily ever after until I purchased a 2011 BMW Mini Cooper in May of 2015 (huge difference, I know, but remember I was only 18 when I chose the Tiburon and now I am 25) I'm now experiencing major problems with the Mini and I'm about to re-tag and insure the faithful loyal old Tiburon again because she has always been there for me! The other quirk to the Tib that I must mention as have others, the thing EATS tires!!!!! I can't even count how many times I have had to buy tires for the car! It's no joke!

This is the one!
By betchadee

2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

After going through car after car after car buying beaters I bit the bullet and finally bought something nice. My boyfriend who has owned a Tiburon already looked it over and gave it a good word. I've had it now about a week and so far I love pretty much everything about it, whoever had it before me put after market exhaust on it so it sounds like a completely different car. I did notice that my tires are quite worn and I will have to replace them in about 2 to 3 monthes. The passenger side window motor has either been disconnected or no longer works, I'm taking it up to a dealership tomorrow to have that looked at.

I love the six speed, how it sounds, how smooth it rides.

The shifter DOES feel like it's a bit stiff I've only driven BMW before this so I'm not sure if this is how it is with all of them.

This vehicle is terrible
By john_stone37

2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE 2dr Hatchback (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

This car is fun to dive, but if you don't have a ton of money, don't buy it. Bought one at 99k miles, it now has 124k. In the span of that 25k, I've replaced all tires twice, replaced the clutch twice, replace the shifter cable twice, replaced the transmission and flywheel. All tiburons after 2003 are crap. Also, any transmission repair (clutch, shifter cable, flywheel, etc.) is 1000$ more than with most cars because it takes extra work in a tiburon to get to the transmission