2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata Hybrid model:

Not reliable☹️
By Ekusafetyman

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited w/Blue Pearl Interior 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Car periodically would not start after being turned off. After the 4th time i tradf the vehicle A great warranty is worthless if the dealer can’t find out why its not workng!

Loved it at first
By Chris Conley

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Ok the negative. First got the car it was hydroplaning and sliding all over until the tires broke in. A couple of times I had it tell me the key not recognized and not start and had to remote start it with blue link. The blue link remote start is useless on a hybrid because if you try and heat the car it runs the gas engine for 15 seconds then 5 min of electric then the remote start times out and shuts the car off after 10 min. So you have to remote start it a 2nd time. And a 3rd time. Same with the AC. The AC doesn’t start blowing cold for the first mins of your drive. After 6 months I had check hybrid system come on the display while driving. It went away. 1 time the auto headlights didn’t turn off when I exited the car and needed a jump start. Took the roadside assistance 4 hours to come. Then last night after almost 11 months I stopped at a store and came out and car would do system check then say check hybrid system and not start. Called for a tow. After an hour tried the car again. This time it started. But check engine light is on. Turned it off again. Waited another half hour for tow because didn’t want to cause further damage. Started the car again to drive to dealership myself because tow was taking too long and everything seemed normal so I called to cancel the tow and the tow provider told me that they had already cancelled it with Hyundai because they didn’t have any trucks available. So I called Hyundai and told them I’m all set. An hour later I get a text that my truck is on the way. Called them to cancel. At this point it’s 11pm. Got a call at midnight 1am and 2am telling me my service should have arrived at this point and to press 1 if it has and 2 if it hasn’t. Car is going into dealership on Monday to check out the issue but I might drive it to the Subaru dealership after for a legacy. I don’t want an unreliable $34,000 car

Overall a good car with a couple of surprises
By Kduit

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

If you live in a cold climate, i.e. 4 seasons, you should be aware of the drastic drop in mpg during winter months is possible. Dropped from 40-41 combined mpg to around 28 mpg during the winter months. The other issue is a poor performing cruise control in rolling hills. This is surprising as none of my other vehicles have had trouble with this small hills. Car slows up to 12 mph below set speed, then feels like I pushed the pedal to the floor after cresting these hills. The speed will go up to around 10mph over the set speed. Very eratic and can't be good for the overall health of the car. This is not mountains, just some hills. The Limited has so many comfort features that the car is a joy to ride in on flat roads. Unfortunately I have to pass through the 4 miles of hilly area twice each day for my commute. Hyundai really needs to look into the coding for the cruise control to make this a 5 star car.

Love after 1 week
By Bill

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've only had the car a week but I truly love it. The technology is excellent. It's the first car I've been able to upload my entire phone directory to. The interior is beautiful and VERY comfortable and the ride is outstanding...so smooth. I wish it got a little better gas mileage. Right now I'm averaging about 38 miles/gal which is on the low end for hybrids. Since I've had it such a short time I can't tell you about reliability or maintenance. I love the long warranty and the technology was easy to master. I bought the car used with only 3400 miles.

I used to love this car.
By Jake C.

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased this car in October 2017 and as of early March 2018, I have put about 3,200 miles on the vehicle. I purchased the car to be my daily commuter, but still large enough to carry the family around (2 kids and spouse) when we didn't want to take out our family SUV. I loved this car for the first three months I owned it. The fuel economy is great - I am getting about 42 mpg combined driving 80% highway in a mountainous location. The car is very comfortable and fits my family of 4 comfortably. I am able to fit our big double stroller in the trunk, which was a must for my new car. The infotainment center is intuitive and easy to use. The climate control panel is also simple and easy to use. Over the six months that I have owned the car, it has had to be returned to the shop 4 times. The first time was the day after I bought car and all four tires went flat and the dealer didn't remove some of the wrapping tape that was around the car when it shipped. Then in January, three months after purchase, it was very cold and I loaded up my two kids and the car wouldn't start. I got the car jumped and drove it around for about 30 minutes. Once I turned the off when I got home the car once again bricked. I had to get the car towed to the dealership and they told me it was an issue with the battery. So they replaced the battery and things worked well for about a while. In February, I was contacted about a factory recall. The dealership told me that it would take less than 1 hour to complete, so I took a long lunch break. The repair ended up taking 4 hours and I was forced to take leave for my job due to their miscommunication. The inhibitor switch was replaced, but to this day I have not been able to track down the recall on this part of the car. In late February I was driving home around 10pm and all of the lights on the car - the headlights, dome lights, dash lights started flashing and strobing very intensely. The flashing was so intense the car is pretty much unable to be driven at night. I took the car to the dealership, which was an ordeal in itself, where they told me that the hybrid drive on the vehicle had gone out. It was explained to me that this piece acts like the alternator in a hybrid, but again I can't find any information online about this part. They are still waiting for the part to be delivered, but it looks like the car will be in the shop for at least 1 week. While I hope this resolves the problem, I have low expectations. I have contacted Hyundai USA HQ, but the case manager has not reached out to me yet. I am hoping they offer to buy the car back. I need a reliable vehicle and I purchased this car due to the supposed reliability of Hyundais. I have never been so disappointed and wish I could go back in time and not buy this car.