Used 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata Hybrid model:

2013 Sonata Hybrid burned up due to faulty engine
By Barbara

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

All Sonata's manufactured between 2011-2014 manufactured at the Alabama plant have faulty Theta II engines. The engines will thump, lose power then catch on fire. The regular Sonata's were recalled for engine repair only after a major class action lawsuit stating that Hyundai knew about the problem, was won. Hyundai, however, did not recall the Sonata Hybrid which uses the exact same Theta II engine also manufactured in Alabama. The hybrids fail at about 90,000 miles, which is on the higher end of the 50-90,000 mile Sonata engine failure, probably due to the hybrid battery assist on the engine. According to the Center for Automobile Safety, other Sonata Hybrids are experiencing engine failure at around 90,000 miles and burning up. Don't buy a used Sonata Hybrid if it was manufactured in Alabama (look inside the driver door jam for where it was manufactured) until Hyundai recalls the hybrids and fixes the engines. It's a death trap.

A great car available at very low used price
By SA

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Very nice car. I actually get much better performance and mileage if I turn the blue drive off. In the city I get approximately 29mpg with blue drive, and 31 with blue drive turned off. Additionally the blue drive makes the car feel sluggish to drive, which goes away for the most part if you turn it off. unfortunately you have to turn it off every time you start the car. The only thing I do not like is the low prices these are selling on the used market. I guess it is a good thing for people who are planning to buy it used. An amazing car for the price on the used market.

Piece of crap
By Teresa

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan w/Panoramic Sunroof Package (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Bought car for gas Milage great first 3 yrs got 40mpg now barely get 30mpg. No one knows what is wrong dealer doesn't know and won't call support to find out it grows when accelerating they will wait till warrant goes off then find problem. Won't buy from Hyundai again I can get a SUV for same gas milage I get now
1/27/18. Still same problem. Been looking for new SUV. Will go with Subaru and NO HYBRIDS

Be Careful!!
By karen

We were quite pleased with our Sonata Hybrid at first, but it definitely doesn't get the mileage that is posted on the sales price!! This past summer we ran into a major problem with the engine, a loud clanking sound started and from there we found out our engine needed to be replaced !! This happening to a car we had for just 3 years! So they had the car for about a month and a half because they couldn't find the parts needed to fix it, on top of that it was our fault that the engine had sludged up because they said we hadn't done appropriate oil changes totally not true!!They said they found large chunks of metal throughout the engine!! So therefore Hyundai responded that the work was not covered under warranty which we are still under!!! Thousands of dollars later we have our car back! Now 4 months later we have found out Hyundai has issued a recall for Hyundai sonatas 2011 and 2012 for this exact problem the recall states that they found large chunks of metal in the engine !! The exact same problem we had yet when we called about the recall our car is not in the recall!!! Ridiculous!!! I will not recommend Hyundai they don't stand up for the customer!

It's better then expected
By Mitch

While milage drop during the winter 24 city / 32 highway, it gets good when it worm up. Last trip from Iowa to Salt Lake City I got 36.7 avg while using cruise control at 80 mph. Comming back I drop the speed to 72 mph and use my skill to see what can I get out of this car. My average was 40.6 mpg.
Now that I own this car for few year, here is on update. I am steel happy with the car but... there are few annoying things about it that I tolerate because i old now.
You must be patient when you starting up the car, it takes couple of seconds before is ready. The seatbelts are hard to close and open because of positioning. There is hesitation on acceleration. It takes very long time to warmup. The electronic steering make you work harder to keep the car on the road. The gas mileage depends on the driver. It seems that car adjust to the driver driving style and it takes some time to reset to your driving style. Overall I am steel happy with the car and recommend if you can live with the limitations. It is a old men car.