Used 2012 Hyundai Equus Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Equus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

Engine needs replaced.
By Joe

2012 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

My 2012 Equus has 62,000 miles on it and the engine started knocking really bad and there was no warning signs at all no check engine light, no low oil light nothing to alarm me at all and the warranty expired on the car at 60,000 miles.

Hyundai customer service is awful
By Stan Berrie

2012 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Car is great except that it is unreliable. Car was stalling out and died in the middle of make turns (even on the highway). Dealer kept the car for a month and finally replaced the wiring harness for the entire car. The transmission had to be replaced. The electronic controlled suspension died. Now the dealer says that there is a short somewhere but they can not find the cause. They have had the car for 2 weeks. I call them and leave messages but no one calls back. Hyundai has a special tel number for Equus owners. I called and they turned the matter over to a regional rep. The person called me once and told me that they would call back. She never called back (and yes I left numerous messages for her as well). I then called the "special" 800 number. They told me that I just have to wait for the regional rep to call me back. That was 4 days ago. Still no word. THEY JUST DO NOT CARE. Do NOT buy an Equus. Do NOT buy a Genesis. DO NOT BUY ANY Hyundai. You will be sorry.

My mini Bentley
By Richard P Eisenbrei

2012 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I sold this car one year ago.
I am now driving a 2017 Genesis G90.
If you are interested, although my Equus was a fine automobile, my new Genesis
far exceeds my expectations I all areas.

Defective engine
By ted2332

2012 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

At little over a year, performance and gas mileage began to deteriorate.
Next, an engine knocking became increasingly loud.no check engine or oil pressure light warning.
Dealer found oil 3 quarts low-- suspect that the engine had already been damaged..on investigation, this is a systemic problem
which Hyundai Equus and Genesis with the same engine share.
Hyundai does not appear ready to own up to the defective engine which occurred with the higher horse powered 2012.
Major blow in their aspirations to compete as a luxury brand
update: they have pulled the plug on the Equus brand;won't fix hardware breakage under warranty
Update :after lots of aggravation they finally replaced engine and it been a good car with bad service

Top of the line luxury at a fraction of the cost
By peteranger

2012 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I traded in my BMW 745i for the 2011 Hyundai Signature Series Equus, and apart from some irritating aspects of the i-pod and navigation systems, I'm delighted with the smooth, comfortable, QUIET! ride of this luxury ride.
To boot, I get 27+ mpg on the highway and 20 mpg overall using regular gas, and the valet service, where the Hyundai dealer delivers a loaner Equus to my house when picking up mine for service is a major plus.

The exterior will remind you of the top of the line Lexus, and the interior is similar to the S600 series Benz (the suede like head liner, analog clock in the dash, etc.).
Compare sticker prices with the competition and you'll be astounded at the savings.

Audio System sound, massaging front seats, quiet ride, suede head liner, Sirius XM implementation, storage compartment for cell phone and/or i-pod, adaptive cruise control, rear view camera and sensor system, rear and side window shades, keyless entry and ignition, analog clock, uses regular gas, spacious trunk, and substantial leg and head room for 6 footers both front and rear. This car is a limosine!

By all means improve the USB flash drive interface for the audio system to a) work faster and b) deal with larger music collections. This system has promise and works well if you carry your favorites only on a USB flash drive. For large music collections (mine is 30GB), this system is painfully slow. The i-pod interface can deal with my 160GB classic, but poorly. It scrolls only one page of 8 entries at a time. You can get carpal tunnel trying to scroll through song titles to say, Stardust - assuming you don't die of old age first. A Search feature is a must! Now Playing doesn't work and you can't pop into the album or artist for the song playing in Random mode. (works in USB mode)