Used 2014 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Tired of hearing “This particular car”
By Chief

2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I’m tired of hearing “oh yea, this particular car” in regards to all the problems I’ve had with it. I’ve stumped every mechanic I’ve taken it to with the mysterious issues that arise like when it was losing power for no reason. Just wouldn’t turn on. Then it would... For several weeks on and off a year ago. When I hit my breaks the entire stereo restarts... Every time... Same with when I turn on my lights or roll down my windows. If I turn on my A/C at night I can see my headlights flicker/dim. I can’t use my cruise control or else my transmission goes on the fritz. It jumps in and out of gears at seemingly the most random times. For such a small and unimpressive car the gas mileage is pathetic, worse than some small SUV’s and the tiny gas tank guarantees I’m filling up almost twice a week. By far the most disappointing car I’ve ever owned.

NOT for short drivers
By Kristina Robinson

2014 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I came to royally hate this car in the two years I owned it. I am 5'3" which is not unusually short but I think Hyundai only thought of the six foot tall men. The controls were so far away that I had to lean forward to change anything and the blind spots created by the windshield pillars are enormous!

BUYER BEWARE!
By Mark George

2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2014 Elantra (assume same issue with all Hyundais) from a dealership in April 2015 that had 1,700 miles on it. Because I wasn't the original purchaser (it had been turned in on a lease), the 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty was voided. I didn't understand that at the time, but my ignorance is not excuse. However, the 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty remained good according to the service department. At 62,000 miles the engine, in short, went bad and required replacement. Although I had treated the vehicle with kid gloves with regular maintenance (oil/filter changes, etc.), Hyundai would not pay for the full cost of repair ($6,500) and would not pay for a rental for the garage time needed to replace the engine. After some negotiations, Hyundai did eventually agree to pay for half of the cost of a new engine, of which I am thankful. Bottom line, the Elantra has a poor engine, and the warranty should be thoroughly understood. Their motto, "Better Built, Better Backed, Better Driven" is at best misleading, and at worst dishonest.

First and last time i will buy an elantra
By Shawna Thompson

2014 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is simply cheap. I bought it used with only 35,000 miles and one other owner. However, the car rattles, hesitates when accelerating, gives off a sulfur smell, and even sometimes feels as if it's on half power. I've taken it to the service shop multiple times and they always say nothing is wrong. Every time i take it in it's like none of the problems exist and they always say they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. More recently, out of the blue my car would not start. It was not the battery, actually the battery was perfectly fine according to AAA and the shop. It made loud screeching noises and jerked so bad i thought my car was going to jerk down the hill. This has never happened before but it's like to this point i'm already fed up with it, and I'm wondering what else could possibly go wrong. It started smoking and everything then we decided to tow it to the hyundai service and repair shop, and which in return told me NOTHING was wrong with it! They said when they started working on the car it eventually started, but then cut off, and eventually started again. The car has been turning on ever since however I am afraid to drive it. They said they don't know why it's doing any of the things that it does because there's "nothing" wrong with the car. Moral of the story is, I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone, especially since if something is unordinary you might have three different hyundai dealers telling you there is nothing they can do.

Middle of the Pack
By Dale

2014 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car as a certified used car in 2015. At the time it was about a year old and had around 28,000 miles on it. Almost 2 years later and I now have about 93,000 miles on it. Let's just say I drive a lot. Now let's get to the review.
There are some good and bad things about this car. Let's start with the good. Overall cost is ok. You can get the SE model for less than 20k or so. Mine was a year old like I said and I got it for around $17,000. The biggest selling points to me was the warranty, decent styling and MPGs. So far, those things have held up. I drive about 60% hwy and 40% city everyday and have about a 100 mile daily roundtrip commute. With this type of usage, I average 35 mpg which is pretty good. I have been on some road trips where it was all hwy and I can easily get 40 mpg while still driving 75-80. There have been times where I was stuck on 60 mph roads for hours and I would actually get about 45 mpg. Really good! Sadly, the tank is only like 12 gallons or something really small so even if I do really well on fuel mileage, I still have to refuel a lot more often than I would like. Now the bad: Thankfully I had that warranty. It needed a engine replacement at around 40,000 miles due to a valve losing pressure. So far the 2nd engine has held up fine. Other than that (big thing) no other repairs have been needed. The brakes feel fine when it is dry out but when it rains, they constantly have a grinding noise/sensation when applying them. The car also easily hydroplains so I have to really slow down when it's wet out. The seats get pretty uncomfortable after a few hours. Road noise is horrible. And the worst part of it all is the resale value. I understand that I drive a lot of miles. But the value has plummeted on this car in the last few years way faster than I expected. Even when I check the value as if I had a normal amount of miles, it still has dropped significantly. I have made many extra payments on top of my regular ones for 2 years now and I still am about $5000 below what I owe on the loan. No other vehicle I have ever had has dropped in value so quickly. I am definitely stuck with this car until I pay at least 90% of it off.