Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Electrical problems 2009 Elantra hyundai
By Indy

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This problem has happened a number of times with my car a 2009 Elantra Hyundai, he unlocks it, gets in, puts the key in, turns the ignition and it won't start. There is no connection with the engine, it just clicks. And when this does happen, the steering wheel is locked up solid. This is very scary part, what happens when the engine dies out? The steering wheel is completely locked. This is a very serious safety issue. Some times he has waited and unlocked and locked his doors a couple times and then it magically starts - there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when this happens. We had the problem about a 3 years ago and then it stopped so we never took it in but the problem is back and it is annoying as hell. The first time we were going to jump it and he tried to start it one more time and it started so we didn't jump it. It does not appear to be the battery but some kind of connection in the electrical system. I have taken my car to number of mechanic garages. Nobody can figure this problem out, other than says it's in the software programming system a problem?

Perfect Car!
By Enzo Simoni

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a perfect car. Never been to the mechanics, never left me stranded. Awesome gas mileage, great in the snow. Nothing fancy but has been perfect.

Great car after 3+ years
By sreston

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new for under $15k, and am delighted with the features, low cost of ownership, and overall quality of the car.

I love the problem-free driving, nicely peppy engine, comfort and interior space (I am 6'5"). The car still looks new inside and out.

I have had a few small issues as follows:
*Driver's seat makes a clicking sound in the lowest position
*Rear window sometimes made a crackling/popping sound when going over laterally uneven ground, but this went away last year after I put some product on the weatherstripping
*Driver's side window made a popping sound when rolled down--it was sticking to the stripping. Silicon lube fixed it

Otherwise the car has required zero repairs.

Very cheap to run. No repairs, oil changes at independent mechanics, basic stuff like filter changes I DIY for almost no $--they are incredibly easy on this car, as are other things like lightbulb changes from what I've read.

I replaced a Saab with this and I won't be looking back
By captainbrown

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I needed something cheap, practical, and reliable and I got it.
This car has two dominant personalities.
The first is a sensible car for the average adult.
Gas economy is on par with 2009, the ride quality is exceptionally smooth for a compact, and the cabin is quiet and spacious in town and on the freeway.
However, under the surface the 2009 Elantra is one of the funnest rides you can get for an MSRP under $20,000.
I would compare it to a go cart.
It's nimble, quick, and firmly planted.
Unlike the 2011 Elantra, the steering is connected, responsive, and no matter how you drive it, she wants more.
Give it an honest test drive, because you have to drive it to experience it.

Dependability, ride quality, minimal body roll, steering refinement, stability, cabin space, audio system

Obviously, the body has been redesigned in 2011, however, the rear passenger comfort has taken a hit over this redesign. I have hopes that the Elantra GT model will address this issue.

So so car, don't expect much
By superedmundsf

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The only reason I've gotten this vehicle is because my wife trashed our 2007 Toyota Camry SE-V6.
Can't afford the same level of car so we settled on Hyundai Elantra, 09, brand new at the time.
Now, fast forward 70K miles and here are my reviews:

The transmission starts to rattle a bit now as shifting up can be adventurous at times.
Keep in mind I take care of my religiously so it's not a matter of not maintaining it.

Electrical problems starting to surface.
TPMS will show up for no reason.

Overall drive is stoic but comfy.
Performance is ok (typically for a small sedan, don't expect much.)
You get what you pay for, don't be fool by the marketing, adequate car but Civic it isn't.

Blue-tooth, Ipod connector

Better interior comfort. Fix the transmission and TPMS issues (seems to be common to many people.)