Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Poor Man's Sports Car!
By Crazy Clay

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Five years ago I bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT with only 37000 miles for $5995. It is burgundy with a spoiler, black trim, and a 5 speed manual transmission. The car has a lot of quick get up and go, and is sporty inside and out with it's gray leather seats. I average 30 mpg! I have driven this car everywhere, and it shows no sign of slowing down. The inside has a nice sounding AM/FM stereo with CD. It also has not one but two cigarette lighters for charging phones, computers, and tablets. Even has a nice little coke holder that pops out of the back seat. It will seat five, and the seats in back fold down for extra trunk space. Wheels are aluminum alloy. I wanted a Mustang when I bought this, but just couldn't find a good used one in my price range. The only issues I've had is that the clutch went out a week after I bought it. Dealer didn't cover it, but they should have. The clock is ok but nothing flashy. The car has two cup holders between the driver and front passenger. But you can’t shift if a cup is in the forward holder. After the clutch went out, no problems until radiator cracked at 108,000. BUT THE CAR DIDN'T OVERHEAT! It shut down the A/C to keep the temp down, and I was able to drive 30 miles on home with it as the temp gauge hovered just over medium. The engine has been extremely reliable. I changed the timing belt at 109,000 just to be safe. If you let it break your engine is toast. Just change it at 100,000 and you'll be fine. My mechanic said the belt could have gone longer. I think this car is good for at least 100,000 more miles, maybe more. If you find an older 2005 Elantra in good shape, buy it! You won't be sorry. My mechanic says they are more reliable than the new ones. So fun to drive!

Excellent Car for The Price
By TKH

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2005 Elantra has plenty of "pep"- as a matter of fact it's engine may be too strong for the weight/size of the vehicle. It only gets around 24 combined MPG which is low for a car this size but you get more power and better acceleration at the cost of the reduced fuel economy. The Elantra GLS is not a "luxury" vehicle by any stretch but it's not an "Econobox" either. It's a very good car for the price you will pay for it and I would definitely consider buying another Hyundai after owning this one- I would probably go for a Sonata or a Sante Fe though because I'm getting older and I need a few more "creature comforts" than the Elantra offers. The only bad thing about this car is it's handling in the snow and on wet pavement. I have never had a car hydroplane like this one does so you need to make sure you buy excellent wet handling tires when you buy a 2005 Elantra!

Most reliable car I've ever owned
By Nathan

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine in 2006 for $9,500 with 50 miles on it. it now has 274,000 miles and I would still drive it across the country with no worries. it has not one time left me stranded. I replaced the clutch and other regular wear and maintenance items. I haven't changed the oil in maybe 20,000 miles since I add about a quart every other week (which goes to show how forgiving this car is with irregular and neglected maintenance). It also has the coldest and most powerful air conditioner I've ever felt in a car (never been recharged AND I live in southern Texas). I even built a custom tow hitch and hauled a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it from Florida with it (very bad idea, but it never missed a beat). I am by no means a "gentle" driver but this car just purrs right along (actually it hums along - exhaust leak). Except for one issue: I don't know if the check engine" light works; it's never turned on. Overall, extremely excellent vehicle. It looks like crap, but it costs me $12/month in insurance. there is no possible way to justify selling it. Drive it till she dies.

Awesome road warrior
By Maria

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2012 with 30,000 miles, now it just passed the 129,000 mark. Only minor maintanance issues. It is the perfect car for long road commutes for work. Great car.

Trouble at The Start
By Patti

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned seven little old cars in the past fourteen years, many much older than this one, and this one has given me the most trouble (mostly at the start). Every thing I do to the Elantra, every fix, is like going down the rabbit hole, even though this car is relatively easy to work on. I bought the car 20k miles ago, and with blown struts and cracked windshield and a little hitch in its shifting--I knew about all that. One week after the purchase, driving down the highway, radiator blew. So, tow bill. New radiator, and it was still overheating. This is when we realized the previous owner had reversed the hoses. New thermostat, new belts while we're at it. Two week long saga of getting the belts on juuuuuust right to get one or the other or all of them to stop squealing (never had that much trouble before). Pro tip: tighten the alternator belt. One of the pulleys is squeaking, one of the back drum brakes was squeaking, tried to get that off to fix... of course it's well and truly stuck, /fail. I did some research on the internet about the shifting, found a lot of people had had success with changing the transmission speed sensors. Bought them on ebay, installed, and... I think it's shifting somewhat better. It doesn't do the odd shifting thing anymore... mostly. Tried to change the PCV valve, unscrewed it from the valve cover... and the whole effing brass fitting came out of the plastic valve cover with it, and I had to jam it back in. It looks like it's separate, but when I ultimately bought a new valve cover, the PCV valve came with. The engine was filthy, decided I was going to wash it before working on it. Wound up flooding one of the spark plugs. Couple-day saga of changing spark plugs (which were due anyway, so whatever), Heet, wires. Apparently I'd fried the wire, too. Couple days after that, headlights went out. Both of them, at the same time. Odd, yes? Replaced the bulbs. Since then, have replaced the struts and timing belt and valve cover (the seal had started leaking and the jammed-in PCV valve was driving me nuts), all with minimum difficulty. The good, in summary: The car is responsive & fun to drive, seats are comfortable, the sunroof still works and doesn't leak, aftermarket stereo plays Pandora. Peeves: Rear foot space is sparing, little spots of rust starting on body, parts a little difficult to find, (wild goose chase, many not yet released by manufacturer so have to get them at dealer, and many are interchangeable with Kia, which scares me). Ultimately, it's a pretty good little car, and I'd buy one again.