2017 Honda Ridgeline Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Honda Ridgeline Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ridgeline model:

Would buy again
By Jack Sullivan

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Not sure why this truck doesn't sell in much higher numbers. I have had Ford trucks in the past, and this is a much better truck for probably 80-90% of truck buyers. It's like driving a car. It has much better storage than other trucks. Gets excellent gas mileage. My only complaint is the back doors do not open wide enough considering the enormous amount of space with the back seats folded up. Why doesn't it sell better? Probably Hondas fault. They do not promote this vehicle. I often wonder why they bothered to put the r&d money into a vehicle they do not promote.

No Honda Safety Assurance-2017 Honda Ridgeline
By Lynne Johann

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since purchasing our 2017 Honda Ridgeline, we have been experiencing intermittent noxious fuel/fumes/exhaust odors in the cabin as well as significant fuel outgassing in our garage. The Ridgeline has been to Frontier Honda Service on four occasions for attempted repair; however, the service technicians, although able to smell it, cannot identify the root of the problem or establish its cause.

For safety reasons, we will not put our family in the truck as we cannot be assured that carbon monoxide and other noxious gases are not filling the cabin. We are also afraid to park the vehicle in our garage because of fuel outgassing and the possibility of an explosion. The truck has been extensively disassembled by a number of technicians and has had various systems inspected and flushed to no avail.

Both our local dealership and American Honda ‘cannot guarantee the safety’ of our new Honda Ridgeline. We have appreciated all of the efforts and open communication with our local Service Manager; however, at his direction, we opened a case with American Honda on 04/14/18. Our District Case Manager, James, finally called and left a message on 04/23/18. I called him 3 times again and finally heard back on 04/26/18. He told us that he was not willing to provide any sort of safety guarantee and that because technicians could not recreate the smell (which is not true because it’s even stated on our repair invoices that they smelled it), that Honda was not able to fix it. He also denied us the use of a rental car in the meantime. He called again today and stated that a regional technician would be available to inspect it on 05/18/18. So we are supposed to leave our brand new Ridgeline sitting in the driveway for a month because we have no assurance that it is safe!

This is our first experience with Honda. We are understandably frustrated and very disappointed to be in this situation - which has been incredibly worrying, time-consuming and stressful. Has anybody else been experiencing these noxious gases and outgassing on the new model Honda Ridgeline? Has anybody received this type of response from Honda? For a company that prides itself on safety, this is highly concerning and disturbing.

Awesome transition from my sedan
By Sitruk1990

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had previously driven a sedan and did not want to give up the comfort or drivability when transitioning into something with capabilities for more carrying capacity, camping trips, road trips, towing a small boat, etc. Bought the 2018 Ridgeline and it offers it all with the comfort I haven’t seen in other trucks. Only thing I’ve disliked so far is the ugly grill. Too odysseylike. They need a blacked out option.

A Truthful Review from a Lemon Owner
By facemike911

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

At 400 miles my 2018 RTL Ridgeline started making mechanical pop'ing noises when driving at low speeds in forward and reverse and turning the steering wheel. Now at 3,000 miles it still makes those pop'ing noises while just driving straight at low speeds. They are loud, and it sounds like gears or something pop'ing. The issue gets worse when the vehicle is warmed up. I have taking it into Honda MANY times, starting at when it had 400 miles on it - but sadly, Honda is unable to determine the source of the noise - thus they just tell me to keep driving it since it is under warranty for another 3 years, so if it breaks, it is covered. Not what you want to hear after spending $35,500k (out the door all fees included) price on this RTL. I tried working with Honda corporate and their mediation specialist to get them to swap it out with another one, or buy it back, without success. I contacted the Virginia US Attorney General for help, and they reported back that Honda, after the last 3 attempts, never responded. The AG said they can't make them respond, but offered advise that I take it to court. So if you buy this Honda, please note, if you end up with a lemon like I did, Honda won't do anything about it - unless you drop thousands on legal fees to get them to stand-up and do the ethical and right thing. Also, the gas cap is poorly designed (which you will find on other forums). When it rains the water gets into the gas nozzle, if the rain freezes, the nozzle will freeze solid, so when you go to fill up, it will snap off (like it did with me). ALso, water in your gas tank will cause serious issues, and go luck getting Honda to cover that, since they will just blame it on the gasoline you are putting in, not their poorly designed gas port. The Honda CRV's have a plastic cap on the gas-cap door that covers the gas port (genius!) however, the Ridgeline's Q&A is not great, and they don't do that. Honda makes great CRV vehicles, but as far as their pickup truck - thumbs down on the Q&A.. Plus, the mechanics told me it was new and they are not expierenced with it, which makes it hard for them to diagnose where the mechanical pop'ing noises are coming from.. Lesson learned on my part, - I will Stick with manufactures that DONT just build one truck, but many - since they will be more experienced in that type of vehicle. Also, the rear doors don't open up all the way, which makes it a HUGE pain getting things in and out, the tailgate doesn't lock, and the bluetooth doesn't work well (Have to disconnect and re-connect often to get a good connection using my Iphone 6s - my CRV had no issues with the same phone). I hope this information helps shed some truth to the Quality of the Ridgeline.

Honda ridgeline
By Mark

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

An extremely comfortable ride. Better than most cars. Love the dual opening tail gate. Interior is great. I've only had it two weeks but love it so far.