2017 Honda Ridgeline Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Honda Ridgeline Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ridgeline model:

Great Ride
By Carl

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The unibody construction makes the ride and handling very smooth for a pickup truck. Not sure why some reviews focus on the audio system not having a knob to adjust the volume; I use the audio controls on the steering wheel to do this. The two way tailgate makes loading and unloading much easier than a conventional drop down tailgate. The Honda Sensing package includes lane departure warning, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control and warning of approaching traffic when backing out.

Long-Term Review is Pretty Good Overall
By EggRoll

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2017 RTL-T in November of 2016 after looking at several other trucks including the Toyota Tacoma, GMC Canyon, Dodge Ram 1500 and Ford F-150. Our main requirements were a truck that was comfortable, leather interior, reliable, decent fuel economy and capable of towing our 17 foot Casita travel trailer. After looking at all the trucks we narrowed it down to the Ridgeline and F-150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. What really sold us on the Ridgeline was the ride, which is plush while still being capable of taking us off road (not rock crawling) down back country roads similar to what we were use to in our 2013 Subaru Outback Limited. Also, we wanted a vehicle that had at a minimum a 5,000 pound tow capacity even though our travel trailer probably comes in closer to about 3,500 pounds gross weight. Since my wife was going to be the main driver of the vehicle she had the final say and felt much more comfortable and ease of driving in the Ridgeline over the F-150. Having put nearly 20k miles on the Ridgeline we can honestly say it's been a really good truck with very few quirks and problems. Somethings that we felt needing improvement were the small fuel tank. At 19.5 gallons and towing our trailer across several states we were always conscious of having to start keeping an eye out for fuel stations starting around 200 miles on the trip odometer. Yes, our range is closer to 300 miles when towing but still it was always on the back of my mind. When not towing and driving on long distance trips we felt comfortable up to around 320 miles before staring to get that feeling. I believe a fuel tank in the 22-23 gallon would have been idea for the Ridgeline. Our overall fuel economy over the 19k miles we have put on the vehicle has been 20.2mpg while not towing. We have put about 5.5k miles towing our travel trailer including a single trip last fall that was over 2k miles, our average fuel economy has been 15.7mpg, usually load with two kayaks on the roof, bikes in the bed of the vehicle and probably close to 3,400 pound trailer. The trip computer has consistently been about 1.5mpg optimistic, so our calculations are always based on dividing the miles driven by the gallons of fuel used. Some other things that we find quirky about the Ridgeline is the large infotainment screen needs a button along with the touchscreen. All the fingerprints on the screen require constant use of the supplied microfiber cleaning cloth to remove all the smudges. Another quirk are the rear doors don't open enough to our liking. Occasionally I will have some large objects, like coolers or my road bike, when I don't want to leave them in the bed of the vehicle. If the doors would open a few more degrees it would aid in the ingress and egress of items. Lastly, I wish the bed of the Ridgeline were about 3 inches longer. While decent-sized and usually being able to fit most everything we carry it would make it so much more versatile if slightly longer. Overall, the Ridgeline has been really reliable. I have done my own routine maintenance, which have been oil and filter changes and rear-end gear oil. The only major problem we have had has been a broken motor mount which the took two different dealerships to diagnose and about a week in the shop waiting for parts. This is a vehicle we plan to keep for along time and get plenty of use out of. We paid near list price as the dealers all had very limited supply, not sure if that is still the case.

The pickup for those who don’t need one
By Sam

2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is not a pick up in any traditional way... sure it has a 5’5” bed, but that’s where it ends acting like a pickup, and that’s okay for me and many other weekend warriors. The tailgate opening options are the envy of every truck (why no tailgate lock if you purchase a tonneau cover?!) a trunk...yep a full trunk (that has a lock) below the bed, a great sound system and a very comfortable ride. It fits full width sheets of plywood and hauls most everything I have purchased from the local home improvement store. I didn’t buy it to tow mostly because I have nothing to tow. I love the bed materials, no rust no coating needed. It has.a non slip grip finish and keeps things from sliding...mostly. I am not a fan of the adaptable cruise control which hammers the brakes to keep gaps. The human touch of just taking the foot off the throttle is just not there. The paint finish and the combination of composite materials in the rust zones are second to none. It sits to low to be a truck yet tall enough to have to throw your foot over the threshold while getting into the truck. The throttle is sticky and the brakes somewhat mushy however you put your foot to the floor and the truck (car) responds well. I give this 8.5 /10 and would recommend to others if asked

Would buy again
By Jack Sullivan

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Not sure why this truck doesn't sell in much higher numbers. I have had Ford trucks in the past, and this is a much better truck for probably 80-90% of truck buyers. It's like driving a car. It has much better storage than other trucks. Gets excellent gas mileage. My only complaint is the back doors do not open wide enough considering the enormous amount of space with the back seats folded up. Why doesn't it sell better? Probably Hondas fault. They do not promote this vehicle. I often wonder why they bothered to put the r&d money into a vehicle they do not promote.

No Honda Safety Assurance-2017 Honda Ridgeline
By Lynne Johann

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since purchasing our 2017 Honda Ridgeline, we have been experiencing intermittent noxious fuel/fumes/exhaust odors in the cabin as well as significant fuel outgassing in our garage. The Ridgeline has been to Frontier Honda Service on four occasions for attempted repair; however, the service technicians, although able to smell it, cannot identify the root of the problem or establish its cause.

For safety reasons, we will not put our family in the truck as we cannot be assured that carbon monoxide and other noxious gases are not filling the cabin. We are also afraid to park the vehicle in our garage because of fuel outgassing and the possibility of an explosion. The truck has been extensively disassembled by a number of technicians and has had various systems inspected and flushed to no avail.

Both our local dealership and American Honda ‘cannot guarantee the safety’ of our new Honda Ridgeline. We have appreciated all of the efforts and open communication with our local Service Manager; however, at his direction, we opened a case with American Honda on 04/14/18. Our District Case Manager, James, finally called and left a message on 04/23/18. I called him 3 times again and finally heard back on 04/26/18. He told us that he was not willing to provide any sort of safety guarantee and that because technicians could not recreate the smell (which is not true because it’s even stated on our repair invoices that they smelled it), that Honda was not able to fix it. He also denied us the use of a rental car in the meantime. He called again today and stated that a regional technician would be available to inspect it on 05/18/18. So we are supposed to leave our brand new Ridgeline sitting in the driveway for a month because we have no assurance that it is safe!

This is our first experience with Honda. We are understandably frustrated and very disappointed to be in this situation - which has been incredibly worrying, time-consuming and stressful. Has anybody else been experiencing these noxious gases and outgassing on the new model Honda Ridgeline? Has anybody received this type of response from Honda? For a company that prides itself on safety, this is highly concerning and disturbing.