Used 2016 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

Used Pilot for Sale
Select your model:
12345...77

Pros
Cons

Great Ride; Extremely Poor Infotainment System

Kenneth Smith, 12/05/2015
Elite 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Update 6/28/19 - The problem with the auto stop-start function has not returned since the battery was replaced. Sometimes on hot days, the vehicle struggles to auto-start, but has not died as it did before the battery was replaced. The A/C went out at 32,000 miles and cost $1,700 for repairs. Fortunately, I had purchased a Honda extended warranty policy and Honda covered the repair. The infotainment system continues to be a point of frustration. It is absolutely the worst system I have ever encountered in a vehicle! My only other issue is the transmission. It is very jerky at low speeds. Update 12/27/2018 - Encountered a problem with the auto stop-start function that shuts the engine off when at a full stop. After several trips to the Honda dealer and after showing several videos of the Pilot stalling out at stop signs and stop lights, they finally determined it was a faulty battery. Regarding the infotainment system, I still feel it is the worst I have ever encountered. Terrible design and very "user unfriendly". Update 06/27/2018 - After almost 3 years of ownership, I still feel the infotainment system is one of the worst on the market. Very user unfriendly and the nav system is very inaccurate. Most recent problem has to do with the auto Idle-stop feature. Often times when I stop at a light or at a stop sign, the engine goes into Idle-stop, but when the gas peddle is pressed, the vehicle just stalls out. You must then put the vehicle in "park", press the brake and then the start button. Very dangerous when in the middle of an intersection making a turn. I have taken the vehicle into Honda, but they have been unable to fix the problem??? So each time I start the vehicle, I disengage the auto idle-stop function (which reduces the gas mileage). I really like the new design and ride of the vehicle, but I have to say, the center electronics stack has a very "user unfriendly" interface. I have owned many vehicles over the past 15 years (Infinity, Acura, BMW to name a few) and all have far superior electronics packages. I am very disappointed in how unresponsive the the touch screen is and how inaccurate the nav system can be. Many well established main stream restaurants do not show up in the database. The voice activation interface is almost useless. You must go through layers of screens to make a call or to utilize the nav system. I have returned to the dealership on two different occasions to have a total of four sales reps agree with me that the electronics interface leaves a lot to be desired. It is impossible to control the rear entertainment system from the touch screen in terms of starting a DVD for a child. I have read several reviews and blogs critical of the design and ergonomics of the electronics user interface. Not sure why Honda would install such a rudimentary system in a $50,000 Pilot Elite??? Update: After a full year of ownership my opinion has not changed. As a matter of fact, I can without reservation say the Honda Pilot Elite Infotainment system is the worse system I have ever used. Cannot access my phone book while driving yet I can go through many screens when using the radio, DVD player, etc. (so safety cannot be the reason I am limited on the phone book access). While driving I can go through several screens to get to "Tech Support" for a call, but when I reach Honda and I am asked to enter 1 for Honda or 2 for Acura, I am locked out of the numeric key pad screen to enter 1 or 2. I must pull off the road and stop the car to enter 1 or 2??? Makes absolutely no sense! There are a hundred other frustrating things about the design of the Infotainment system, but not enough room in this review to address them all. Update: After 2 years of ownership, I am still very dissatisfied with the infotainment system. It is frustrating to use and very user unfriendly. I would say it is the worse infotainment system I have ever used. I have had several friends who have owned the 2016 Honda Pilot and all are very unhappy with the infotainment system. The other problem area is the the 9 speed transmission. It is very "jerky" at low speeds and does not shift very smoothly. As far as design, comfort, mileage and handling, I am very satisfied. Just wish Honda had utilized the Acura infotainment design. Update: After 4 years of ownership, I recently sold my 2016 Honda Pilot. Overall, it was a good experience in terms of design and comfort. My biggest complaint throughout my ownership was the poor design and implementation of the infotainment system. Very user "unfriendly"! I also had problems with the "auto stop-start" feature. Apparently, you must have a strong battery to avoid the vehicle from having to be completely "restarted".

2016 Honda Pilot "soft pedal" issue

larry, 06/27/2016
EX-L 4dr SUV w/Honda Sensing (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

As long-time Honda Accord V-6 owners (3 since 1999) and realizing that we wanted something larger, we began to research the 2016 re-designed Pilot a year ago. After visiting dealerships several times and looking at all facets of the SUV, we purchased an EX-L with Honda Sensing in November 2016. The only options we added were color-matched side trim moldings and rear bumper applique, both of which greatly protect from door dings to sides and suitcase scratches to rear bumper....highly recommend. Incidently, we got the dealership to include both in negotiated purchase price, at no extra cost, including labor to install. We did get wheel locks and etched window security ID number, but declined upgraded security system....a $1000 add-on and dealer money-maker. We presently have 4500 miles on the vehicle, including 2 trips of 800 miles each, mostly interstate both times, with gas mileage on those trips of 28.5 miles both. Recently we had a rock, or object, hit the center of our right front fog light lens in the bumper, shattering it. I thought this would be a relatively easy fix....NOT!! The lens had to be ordered, and second appointment scheduled (18 mile round trip) for replacement. The lens (only...not the actual light assembly) was $70 and $120 for 35 minutes labor to replace...a total of $191....outrageous!!! These are available on-line from various sources quite reasonable, and there are how-to videos online showing how to replace them, which I would do next time. While there for replacement, I mentioned to the service advisor that I had noticed for sometime, but more so the past several weeks, that the brake pedal seemed "soft" when coming to stop signs or lights, and that recently, when stopped at a light in a line of traffic, the car would initially stop OK, but the brake pedal would then slowly depress, nearly to the floor, requiring increasing attention and pressure to prevent the vehicle from "creeping" forward....a safety concern. His response was, "yes, Honda is a aware of this, so far terming it a "soft pedal issue", and they are watching it". I indicated to him my concern this is ultimately a safety concern, and he indicated that "it does not seem to be present or happening with all 2016 Pilots, but likely will require a "fix", ie: a recall or software update". If buying a 2016, you need to be aware of this. Our last feature we dislike the most is the Infotainment Center in this particular model. Everything is touch, slide, and as many reviews have indicated, NOT user friendly or intuitive. The hardcopy owners manual gives you very little specific info on the vehicle. Fortunately, there is a CD for use in your computer that gives you detailed info...how to set or adjust outside temperature reading on dash; how to change bass/treble/balance/front-rear balance on radio/sound system....look at it...well worth the time. Overall, a very nice vehicle with some "hiccups" Honda needs to correct. Update: 12,000 miles on vehicles, with no new glitches. Overall, very happy with vehicle, with the exception of the above noted issues. We still hate the info center and digital technology. The radio is "crap' with lousy sound. The "soft pedal" issue continues, maybe slightly better, but still present. On my most recent service visit to Honda I had the service advisor check their tech bulletins to see if Honda was addressing the issue in any way.......NO....."just watching it". Update: 18400 miles now at 19 months since purchased. Still really like the vehicle overall, with the exception of the Infotainment/audio system, which has been described above. The soft pedal issue remains...maybe somewhat improved, but suspect more likely we have "adjusted" to it. We've taken 2 major trips the past several months....one from southern CA to Denver and back, heavily loaded both ways. The other from southern CA to the north end of Vancouver Island and back. Average 28.6 miles per gallon on both trips. Quite happy with mileage and performance. No problems to date with the vehicle. Update: We've now owned this vehicle 25 months, with 23,000 miles driven. No problems of any type except as noted above. We still think the infotainment system is very poor. The "soft-pedal" issue seems to no longer be a problem, but again, suspect we have just "adjusted" to it. We've had no mechanical issues with the car, and it has required only routine service and tire rotations. I've noted many "consumer reviews" on the vehicle note "sluggish to drive" and "under-powered", neither of which has been an issue for us. The V-6 provides more than adequate power and response. Then vehicle is very comfortable on long trips. I would have NO problem recommending it to prospective buyer. Update: We've owned the vehicle 32 months, with 31,000 miles driven, including several lengthy trips. We've had no mechanical problems with the vehicle, other than routine oil changes and tier rotations. Still hate the infotainment center.

Solid performer. Distractive, woeful electronics

J. Lawrence, 08/02/2016
EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If your a looking for a large, roomy family-orientated SUV that handles well, looks good, is comfortable to travel in and gets surprisingly good mileage for its size, look no further. However, if electronics are your big thing then let me tell you they were designed by people who probably did not have to ever use them- so they let "concept" get ahead of "usefulness" and the result is an electronics package that is distractive to the driver to use, and frankly plain dangerous on the road for that reason. Simply put, you have to look at the large and gorgeous display a few extra seconds (too long) to find anything, taking your eyes off the road for an extra 2-3-4 seconds which is sure to produce some bad accidents. They stuffed everything but the kitchen sink on that display. Too much information crammed in one place. Considering that these geniuses for some ethereal reason put Apple Carplay in their other cheaper vehicles, but not the high end Pilot is beyond bad decision-making, it is just plain dumb. I love the car (IT'S A GREAT VEHICLE), I say that having owned it nearly a year, and it replaced my recent model LEXUS RX which was smaller, got worse mileage, had no 3rd row seats, and cost about $12k more, with a front end that looks like it just sucked on a lemon (the Lexus, not the Honda)-- everything about this SUV is GOOD NEWS- except- this distractive and poorly designed entertainment center.

Broken off the lot and in the shop for a month

Michael King, 10/13/2015
EX w/Honda Sensing 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Frustrating is the only word I can use to describe my experience with my brand new 2016 Honda Pilot. I don’t know if it was a freak occurrence or maybe I’m just unlucky, but I drove my Pilot off the lot and about 10 miles later the Touch Screen Infotainment system just stopped working. I was ok with that honestly, things break, car manufacturing isn't a perfect process. However the thing that is unforgivable and what warrants a 1 star review for my brand new car is the face that getting Honda to repair it has been an absolute clown show. I’ve owned the car for 25 days and I’ve only had the car to drive for 5 days because the last 17 days the car has been in the shop. So here follow my timeline and make your own decision about whether or not buying a new Honda Pilot is right for you. Day 1: I bought the car and drove it away. The sales process was clean and efficient. I drove 10 miles home and on the way my infotainment touch screen started fading to black. Day 2: Driving the car around town the infotainment screen just stopped functioning entirely. Just a black screen that would show lines. Made an appointment to get the car in the shop the next day. Day 3: After staying at the dealership for 3 hours Honda told me their computers found nothing wrong, and that I should leave the car there and take a loaner while they called Honda Tech support to figure out the issue. This wasn’t immediately possible as I was planning an out of state trip that weekend so I said I would bring it right back on Monday. Day 7: After driving the car all weekend the infotainment system never worked once. It’s a blessing that I could control the radio was from the buttons on the steering wheel. I took the car into the dealership, and drove away with my loaner. All in all I had put about 780 miles on the car (150 miles of which was driving it back and forth to the dealership) They told me they hope to have it fixed in “a few days”. Great. Day 10: Haven’t heard back from the dealership so I give them a call. The tech line said they should just replace the entire infotainment system, it’s on order and they should have the part some time this week. They hope to get me the car in “a few days”. Great. Day 14: The part didn’t come over the weekend. We’re investigating why the part order didn’t go through. We’ll get this cleared up and get the car back to you as soon as we can. At this point Honda has had my car longer than I have. We’re starting to get really upset so we call Honda of America Corporate to see what's the problem. They said the dealership should figure it out and there is nothing they could do about it. They gave us a case number incase there was a problem. Day 16: We’ve ordered the part but it’s on hold. They won’t release it to us yet. At this point we’re wondering if the part even exists. This is where we start pulling our hair out from frustration. Day 17: I get a call from manager for my region at Honda Corporate. He seems just as upset as I am at how this has been handled and assures me that he understands my frustration. He say’s he’ll talk to my dealership's service manager and get the part shipping expedited. He says he’s going to investigate and crack skulls and call me the following Monday Day 21. Day 22: The regional manager from Honda of America calls me back and tells me the part still hasn’t been ordered. That he’ll call me back with an update later this week. This is today. At this point all I feel is silent rage. The car was fun to drive, the features were amazing but how can I feel excited at this point. My brand new car that I paid for now just feels like it's a refurbished lemon. We’ve been given nothing but the run around by Honda and NOTHING has been done. THEY HAVEN’T EVEN ORDERED A REPLACEMENT PART SUCCESSFULLY. I’m exhausted. This was the first new car I’ve ever purchased. It’s been in the shop for 17 days and at this point I hope they keep the car in the shop another 10 days so they will be forced to replace or buy it back via the lemon law. It’s just been a customer service catastrophy so buyer beware and pray if your Pilot breaks that the replacement part actually exists.

Infotainment system is a disgrace!

Dean Owens, 12/29/2015
EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

1. No Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Honda won't even tell owners why their $40,000+ flagship doesn't have these features when their Accord & Civic do. Honda ignores all inquiries regarding this. 2. Incoming or outgoing Bluetooth phone calls are dropped if either right or rear camera is started; as in lane change or reverse gear. 3. Bluetooth voice commands are very unreliable. 4. USB audio fails to start 1 out of 4 times on ignition turn on. 5. USB audio status not saved; restarts at 1st folder if ignition turned off. 6. USB audio has no Pause or Play buttons. Update: Honda has not corrected any of the infotainment system issues. I have been asked several times if I wanted a Honda Rep. to call me regarding these issues and I have indicated that I would; so far, no call or email correspondence. My review stays the same "Infotainment system is a disgrace!" Update June 29, 2017 My review stays the same "Infotainment system is a disgrace!" None of my issues have been addressed. Update Jan. 2018 My review stays the same "Infotainment system is a disgrace!" None of my issues have been addressed. There have been no noticeable improvements.

12345...77