Used 2019 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

Used Insight for Sale
Select your model:
12345...22

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Really enjoying the car

Albert Wiersch, 08/05/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall I think Honda hit it out of the park on this one. Truly a Prius killer if you ask me. I have the EX (middle) trim. However, that's not to say that nothing could be improved as there is always room for improvement... like lumbar support (although I am finding the seats comfortable enough without it), rear cross traffic detection (although one of the modes of the rear view camera is very wide angle and you can see vehicles coming from relatively far away), and proper blind spot monitoring (although I'm getting use to the LaneWatch camera system and I've purchased circular blind spot mirrors for both side-view mirrors). The one thing I do miss most about my previous car, a Honda Fit, was the hatchback and how practical it was. The practicality of the Honda Fit and its hatch made going to Costco and loading my car up pretty easy. The Insight is more work and hassle when it comes to loading and unloading large "cargo" but driving the Insight to and from Costco is definitely more pleasant and "upscale". Now with my quibbles out of the way, I think the fuel economy is excellent. In hotter weather I've noticed that using the AC will probably take 5 to 10 MPG off your gas mileage though. And pretty much everything else (other than what I mentioned above) is very good to great. Ride quality is very good and, for the most part is relatively quiet, especially when the gas engine is not running. When pushing it though, the gas engine can get loud. Acceleration is good. It's not bad and not great, but good... and the reviews say much better than a Prius. I really love how fast, responsive, and smooth the Insight is from a stop. Speaking of stops, I also really like the brake hold feature that will hold the brake for you when you come to a stop. To go again just press the accelerator. I also like that there is no transmission in the car. It has an "E-CVT" which I think is like a simulated transmission. At speeds of around 45 MPH and higher the gas engine can directly power the wheels and a little gear will appear in the power flow screen... otherwise the gas engine is mainly there to generate electricity for the electric motor and to charge the small lithium ion battery pack that's under the rear seat (so it doesn't take up trunk space). So I totally agree with the notion that the Insight is a great compact sedan that just happens to be a hybrid. I would not recommend the LX (lowest) trim because for a little more money you can upgrade to the middle trim (EX) and get some serious upgrades (much better Infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, remote start, walk-away door locks, and more). The highest trim (Touring) is significantly more money and you lose some fuel economy so consider if those added "luxury" features like leather are really worth it to you. Finally, it looks so much better than the Prius.

5 out of 5 stars

Wonderful driving experience, and it looks good to

Dave, 09/28/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The interior is very quiet, allowing the wonderful stereo to sound awesome. The handling and ride quality are a pleasure. I'm averaging more than 51 mpg over more than 1,400 miles of mixed highway, twisty mountain roads and city driving. When I's stuck in stop and go traffic the MPG get's improves! I have a favorite breakfast place about 20 miles from my home and the Insight is averaging about 65mpg and the trip there. The engine noise when going up a hill was disturbing at first, but I'm either getting used to it or it's getting better with more miles on the car. I have been pleasantly surprised with the acceleration when entering the freeway, the Insight moves briskly when it needs to. One complaint is the Lane Assist technology - on several occasion when trying to change lanes, the car will suddenly brake, and there are no cars or other obstacles in front of me - scary, I have been canceling Lane Assist and ACC when I know that I might need to exit the freeway or change lanes in order to avoid the unexpected, and unwarranted braking.

3 year review update

Bill Burke, 07/23/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Every 2 or 3 years I upgrade my Civic. Anyway, just traded in my 2017 Civic EX for the 2019 Insight EX. I got a good price $23,300 and the car is worth the extra 3K that I paid for the civic ex. It feels like a larger car, rides smoother and a little less sporty, but I'm getting older, so I like to feel the road less. It is my first hybrid and I like driving it. If I put into sport mode, well it is not insane like the Tesla, but the response is immediate. I did a 0-=60 and got around 8 seconds. That's respectable enough for me. The only downside is the various engine sounds that they designed into it. I think that is unnecessary and it loses half a star for that. While the pros don't like the lanewatch, I prefer it to beeps of the BSM system. I'm a big boy, I can determine with my eyes whether it is safe to change lanes. I would like it on the left side, but it is not as "blind" on that side admittedly.I am always getting over 50 MPG which saves me $30+/month. Edited...in winter getting 48mpg. I think the heater drains the battery. Also warming up on cold days in NY hits the mpg. I like the sedan because when I was growing up, that's all there was, Plus they still are more efficient. The few times I carry stuff in the trunk, I feel it is safer than in the hatchback.anyway, I am very happy with this car. We will see how it holds up and I'll update if anything changes. update . Traded it in and lost a star for electric problems. Head unit kept rebooting and power outlet dead. Wanted a new one but price increase brought it up to 26000. So for 1500 more I got the toyota camry hybrid le. Got 16500 for trade with 42k on the insight. Loved my insight but the camry hybrid is better in almost every area. Ill review that soon.

ad labelAd
Build Your Insight
At a Glance:
  • 6 Colors
  • 2 Trims
  • $25,210starting MSRP

4 out of 5 stars

Looks like an awesome car, overall

Jay, 08/25/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this 2019 hybrid, EX Trim. On the very next day, drove 600 miles on the highway. Being a hot day, AC was on a blast and the fuel economy was at 45 mpg with cruising speeds of 70 mph. Technology, lane assist warning (it wakes you up by jolting the steering wheel which is good), warning the driver to apply brakes when you are very close to the vehicle ahead - very useful and true companion for the driver. The only discomfort I felt was at high speeds - say 70 +, there is some kind of a big sound - not booming but clearly audible. Maybe because this is a no transmission type as Honda claims but if that high speed is smooth, it would be better. Having used a Honda Civic EX for 10 + yrs and also having used Honda CRV and Toyota Camry, I felt Insight is compact like a Civic but rich in features like an Accord. City drive is silent as battery is so smooth. Highway also was comfy. With no spare tire, better to take the Honda road side assistance and the tire package.

5 out of 5 stars

Confuse Friends and Family, "That's a Hybrid"??

dmccartt88, 08/08/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I spent quite a bit of time researching this vehicle before going on a test drive. So many reviewers kept saying the car does not look like a hybrid and that is what Honda is going for. Well, I agree that the car does not look like a hybrid and really... it does not drive like one either. Once I got to the dealership and test drove the Insight I was in love. The exterior of the car is gorgeous. I personally think it looks like a smaller version of the 2018 Honda Accord but a bit more subtle (a good thing, IMO). Once I hopped in the car (EX Model) I was impressed once again. The build quality and attention to detail through the cabin is great. I felt as if I was in a vehicle that cost $10,000 more. The infotainment system on the EX model (and touring) versus the smaller and less useful 5 inch screen on the LX is definitely worth it. Just skip the LX and get the EX. I do not think the extra benefits of the Touring model are justified with the higher price and the lower fuel economy (just my opinion). With that being said, all models come with Honda Sensing tech. which is also amazing. I have never felt safer driving a car on the highway (once you get used to the lane keep assist almost taking control). The adaptive cruise control is also a thing of beauty. Acceleration can be a bit sluggish when in ECON mode but in Normal or Sport Mode I have no problems. Was pleasantly surprised when merging on the highway or passing. Overall, I am very happy with my purcahse and do not regret it one bit. My first tank avg. was just below 45mpg. This will definitely improve now that I am more familiar with ECON mode and using adaptive braking to the fullest extent. Good job Honda!

12345...22