2019 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Saving Gas
By Lauren K.

2019 Honda Insight Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is advertised as having mpg of 51 city / 45 highway. For the first few days when I was really conscious of driving fuel efficiently, I surprisingly got up to 60.1 mpg. However, I got too impatient of accelerating too slowly, so I ended up driving "more recklessly" and getting an average of 52.8 mpg. This is my average after driving 402 miles in the 1st week I've driven this car, which is really good knowing that more than 90% of the miles came from highway driving. My tip in getting the best gas mileage is to avoid accelerating too fast, that was what lowered my mpg the fastest. One thing that I want to tell people is that with this car, going uphill really drains that battery. I live in Happy Valley, OR which obviously (in its name) consists of a lot of uphill inclines to get to my house. And I've noticed that once the battery meter goes down to 3 tick marks or less, the motor starts making a lot of noise (I'm assuming that it throws away its noise-canceling aspect in return for the battery to last a bit longer). However, this doesn't seem like much of a problem because once you go down that hill, the battery is charged again. So I don't see it as much of a problem, just a friendly advice for people who live in really hilly neighborhoods my neighborhood is mostly averages like 40-degree inclines and 45-degrees at most, so its a bit on the extreme side). Overall, the engine is extremely quiet. I love this car.

First hybrid
By Former 2016 civic owner

2019 Honda Insight Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hybrid that looks normal. First hybrid car. Never thought I’d own one. Hybrids lack car performance obviously because of it’s focus on fuel economy, but if you can get past that this car is amazing. Has everything you need and very practical. Love the tech and Apple car play. Very luxurious interior and exterior took the best of civic and accord and put it in one car. Beautiful in and out. If you’re willing to accept and car that goes 0-60 in 8 seconds :(, then get this car. I did ;).

Possibility the best all around car on the road
By Michael Adas

2019 Honda Insight EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

That the 2019 Honda Insight is now available, and a fine automobile.

Honda Insight EX
By Dr. Norbert Rosario

2019 Honda Insight EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle is a great buy, but it needs an additional 12v adapter as it only has one, and it only includes 2 USB ports. The cloth seats do soil easily, but the marks come off easily. You would have to be careful when driving as the nose of the car does scrape if you do not take caution with bumps/ramps (entries into parking lots/businesses) on the road. Also be weary of the cement parking blocks. Other than that, the vehicle does get great gas mileage, takes bumps well, and steers/handles easily. Would recommend to those who do a lot of city driving.

Aesthetically Insightful
By Michael A.

2019 Honda Insight EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a 2019 Insight EX in late July and have generally had a really productive, worthwhile time with it. Currently, I am the top mpg-getter on fuelly.com -- four tanks of fuel and am averaging around 60 mpg. Surprising number despite driving a consistent 70% highway, 30% suburban ratio! Getting to 60 mpg has meant relatively conservative driving: using mostly ECO mode, light braking, as well as significant use of regeneration paddles. On this fifth tank of gas right now, I have been using SPORT mode more and occasionally accelerating hard. Looks like my mpg might fall closer to 57-58.

MOST LIKED:
1) Looks are well above and beyond Civic and Accord (to me). Fantastic tail end design, while front end is bold, kinda menacing in a way and yet similar to Accord.
2) Overall interior design/ ergonomics/ space.
3) Has a gas cap (see my other posting about problem with 2016-2017 Honda Civic capless gas).
4) New transmission control/ operation was easy to get used to after decades of the traditional automatic transmission stick.
5) Sport mode has allowed me to enjoy solid acceleration on highway entrance ramps and coming out of toll booth lanes.
6) On local/ suburban roads with low mph and little need for acceleration, car is very quiet.
7) Ride quality is solid.
8) OEM tires are better than stock tires for most compact vehicles even if they aren't great for sporty cornering.
9) LED headlights and taillights (for the most part).
10) Auto lock car by touching drivers door handle in that particular space. A bit less enthused about auto-open via smart entry...
11) Love the acoustic harmonic music that resonates when starting and initially accelerating in vehicle (used to warn pedestrians about an otherwise quiet vehicle).

LEAST LIKED:

1) Rear visibility seems considerably inferior to Accord and Subaru Impreza (the latter of which I drove for past six years). I know it is similar to Civic but still looks a bit cramped/ tight.
2) Front seat comfort in my EX version was not good on test drive. Special ordered/ purchased high-end ergonomic wedge cushions (seat and back) to completely compensate for uncomfortable seating. Seating is now good purely on that basis. Front passenger seat height is inexplicably low.
3) Very occasional and brief weird noises/ sputtering of engine that is quirky. On a related note, sport mode noise racket is ridiculous (over-the-top).
4) Why can't the Insight have cupholders - like the Accord - that have the flexible ends (which are more stable and allow for many more cup size differences)? Nonetheless, I particularly do like the one huge cupholder inside armrest.
5) Why can't I have the Prius option of regen paddles that PERMANENTLY allow me to set brake regen levels - rather than temporary (for a few seconds)? Given a choice, I would definitely use maximum regen most often. I don't like the idea that I have to hit the paddles many times during each/ multiple drives in order to save cumulative bits of energy at a time.
6) Car did not come with spare tire and it is a bit of an ordeal along with needless expense to have to custom order spare tire with related accessories.