Used 2012 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

2012 Honda Insight with Engine Repair
By Sarah

2012 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yes, my Honda Insight had the notorious engine problem with high oil consumption. I bought a 2-year warranty and Honda also extended the engine warranty. When I started having problems, I took my car back to the dealership where I bought the car and spoke with the service manager. He was very prompt and helpful - they rebuilt my engine and even arranged a loaner car for me to use. The warranty coverage that I have did pay the entire cost of repair, labor and the loaner. I had about $6,000 worth of services, but didn't have to pay a cent. I was basically given a new engine at no charge. I definitely recommend knowing your warranty and speaking with a Honda dealer if you suspect that your Insight may be part of the group that has oil consumption problems. /// Regarding how the car rides, I will say that it is a lower end Honda and drives as such. The acceleration isn't very powerful so don't expect a quick getaway if you need to quickly pass another vehicle on a hill. It does drive smoothly at interstate speeds and has minimal engine noise. The interior is comfortable and has enough leg room for those of us with longer legs. The AC isn't as powerful as I would like. Overall, I do like my car. It works well for my day trips and my everyday driving. I don't think it would be powerful enough to really do a lot of mountainous driving. I live in a very hilly region and it does okay, but for the more rigorous driving areas, I would opt for a different car that offers more power.

Fair warning, don't do it
By John

2012 Honda Insight PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm writing this now because I have to trade my 2012 Insight in at 108k miles. The first year was great with the exception of the fact that when you stop, the engine cuts out (which is normal) but as it's syncing back up to accelerate, it rocks back and forth. One person got into a minor accident with me, she ran a red light because of texting and I didn't see her, she slammed into my passenger side front part of the car at around 15 mph. This crunched most of the car, I learned then just how fragile the car was, it's a tin can, someone hits you, you're not looking good. So otherwise, it got it's 44 mpg on the highway. I started a family and the backseat is tiny, the overhead part is tiny, don't buy this car if you're over 6 feet tall, it's just so uncomfortable for the back and even in the front, you can't get a good feeling in that seat ,it's very tight. So why am I trading it in? Well, the car broke down, engine light, VSA, Hill stability something, I dont know, end result was that oil has flooded the engine, seals broke down. It explains why I needed oil changes more often. the 0W-20 the car takes needed it every 2500 - 3000 miles (sometimes sooner towards the end). It wasn't leaking, the guy in the dealership (full support, how nice of them, of COURSE they'd support me, I'm trying to figure out just what's going on) said that the nut on the oil can on the bottom was loose and I was losing oil while driving. So now I have no engine, and a battery that's showing signs of needing to be replaced, and it's just very disappointing. The rule is, if you buy hybrid, save up a bunch because the battery bill will be big. If you buy this hybrid, don't. It's got way too many issues compared to even a normal hybrid, people don't even want to work on this because of the compactedness of the engine. I bought a Honda thinking it would last, not this Honda. No way. Avoid!

Check the oil
By TammyH

2012 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Be careful buying this car. I bought a 2012 Insight LX brand new. It was always maintained at a dealership and all scheduled maintenance was performed. My oil got low between oil changes and it was suggested that an oil consumption test be performed at the next oil change. This was done and the test came out fine. About six weeks later I went on an 800 mile road trip and the engine light came on and I knew what the problem was. The oil didn't even show on the dipstick. Had to add two quarts and the thing only holds 3.4 quarts. If you buy one of these used make sure you get it cheap and keep the oil checked because the light doesn't come on until it is desperately low. Once the hybrid battery starts to decline you will lose a lot of mpg's too. Honda doesn't replace the battery unless it drops below 45%. Mine was at 75% and I had lost 10 mpg.

Worst car I've ever owned!!
By KB

2012 Honda Insight EX PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2012 with 96,000. Yes, the mileage was a little high but we got a brat deal. My husband drives an 11 year old Accord and has never has as much as a sneeze. During our last oil change, our mechanic commented how low the oil level was and thought it was due to my neglegance for not bringing it in sooner. 6 months later, the engine died. And I mean beyond repair. To replace the engine would have been 10,000 and that still wouldn't have fixed all the problems we had. Our mechanic was appalled to see a Honda such poor quality and ours is not an outlier. Please, please do not buy this car!! Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on a Prius, that's what we did and it is a far, far superior car.

Excellent Value and Fun to Drive
By swarfer

2012 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second review after one year. I'm averaging 48-49 mpg but routinely get 60+ during ideal conditions. To get the most out of the Insight you need to drive it correctly otherwise you will be disappointed. The Insight is a very efficient conventional automobile with hybrid assist. It is very affordable being less complicated than the Prius. As an engineer I find the Insight brillaintly simple while the Prius is more a technological feat.
Note that if climate control is in auto the engine will start as necessary at stoplights to maintain the desired temperature. This has been incorrectly reported in a number of reviews. No problems and I would buy again without reservation.

Fun to drive, excellent gas milage, very affordable, less is more hybrid approach, feels more sporty than the Prius. Excellent crash protection as I was rear ended by a loaded dumptruck and although at low speed the rear bumper fully compressed and popped back out without any structural damage and only minor damage to the bottom of hatchback door. The police and the repair shop could not believe it. I felt only a hard shove but no jolt and no neck injury.

Offer a less expensive navigation package and a leather seat option.