Used 2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

4 years and 75K of pleasure
By Zeke B

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a gem. I've driven it from 55K to 130K in 4 years, and I've had only minor repairs (O2 sensor, lock actuators), plus 4 new struts. The front seats are so good that even a long drive on the stiff suspension feels fine, and the car handles smoothly and well on windy roads, in rain, in wind, even pretty well in snow. The engine has a terrific balance of torque and smooth operation up 75MPH, without having to downshift all the time -- but they should have included a 6th gear; at 80MPH, its revving high and loud at about 4000RPM, which gets tiresome and wastes gas if you're keeping up with fast traffic (e.g., Atlanta). I've fit a mid-sized armchair in the hatch, and had 2 adults ride in the back for an hour (it was cramped, but doable).

Little car.....HUGE FUN!!!
By Caldge04

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this magnificent car and instantly fell in love with it!!!.... of course I've owned four other Honda's prior to this one and I am a Honda fanatic!!! Ever since the movie series "Fast and Furious" came out when i was a teenager who was just starting to drive, I instantly became immersed into Japanese cars, more in particularly Honda. For the next three years i wished and dreamed of owning my first honda and on a day seemed for doom with $8k at my side i finally found my first honda.... a 93 Honda del sol with a jdm gsr swap mildly built! When i happily paid the guy the $7500 cash for it, which i drove four hours to get, i felt like i was dreaming!!! With this first honda so many feelings immersed me, but mainly an overwhelming sense of joyous pride....HONDA PRIDE!!! The first 48 hours i owned this car i did NOT get out of it, I drove it everywhere and slept in it the first night in it! Fast forward ten years later and three hondas more in my belt, ive always dreamed of the ep3 si hatchback, in particular a black one with white wheels. On one morning before work I found my next baby....a black 2002 Honda Civic Si Hatchback with white wheels and mildly modded with all bolt ons, a k-pro tuning system, and aftermarket suspension. The week leading up to the buy of my life was the longest week of my life but the day finally came! A day that seemed to evade me for years was finally upon myself and quickly seemed to be set for failure, everything and anything seemingly went wrong...uuuntil... it seemed the Honda Gods smiled down upon myself and made this car destined to be mine! I finally made the 1.5 hour trek to the car...there she sat like the most gorgeous sexiest girl in school back in my high school days...the transfers took place and within the first few moments sitting in the seats of this seemingly rare gem of a Honda ( don't see many if any of this particular models around anymore )my pulse sped up, palms got sweaty just as when i bought and drove my gsr swapped del sol the first time, and in my head all i could hear was the song from the honda commercial with the car driving through the car engineers head and the lyrics all about the thrill of it playing in my head....then with a turn of the magic key there she purred, so elegantly she looked just absolutely astounded i gently pulled out and onto the road, a road that this car was destined for like the curvy roads of a mountainous Japanese back road! I hit the gas and so smoothly glided the s bends and nineties like it was nothing, so with the car seemingly begging for more i gave it full throttle and she ran through that road like a thorough bred horse at the Kentucky Derby! This car is an absolute amazing car, but so is any Honda in my opinion! For only being a 2002 this car was way ahead of its time with all the instrumentation, the cars sleek design is way ahead of its time, the changes made with K series motors and ivtec, this car is an absolute positively beauty!!! Honda you have really nailed it as you always do, and you were my favorite when i was 15 and still so fifteen years later with my new ep3, which by the way only has 60,000 miles, and Honda you will always be my favorite car manufacturers!!! To anyone and i mean ANYONE looking to find something thats reliable, fun to drive, sporty, and has great pop, go look at one of these or any Honda for that matter and test drive it an BUY IT!!! Im really looking forward to the much anticipated Civic Type R to come out but while i admire from afar i will be smiling ear to ear driving this gem for the next 5-10 years easily!!! Moreover in short, this car is as close to perfection as you can get, now dont get me wrong its not as fast as a lambo or bugatti but its got plenty of pop n power for only being a little four banger, but with some serious mods you can make a honda faster such as my buddies seafoam color eg hatch that runs 8.68 in the quarter mile at 175mph! So for all the haters out there....yes ANY Honda has loads and loads of potential!!!

Such a good time
By Blakslee

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2 years update: car is still great. Too much play in the shifter, likely fix with a short shifter and bushings. With good snow tires, car tackles new England just fine. Moved to Maryland in September of '17 and there are tons of back roads and farm roads to exploit. However where I live has long steep hills with 50mph speed limits and the car does not have enough power. I frequently find myself in 4th or third to maintain 50+mph. Ride quality improved greatly by increasing the tire sidewall on my summer 17s
Before I got this car I had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 which I love(d). But once I started grad school and began driving close to 400 miles per week, I needed something more economical but because I'm a car nut and feel that my car is a strong reflection of myself the list of cars I could afford, actually wanted and would save me enough money was veeeeery small.

I was about to get a Mini cooper when the owners bailed and then I came across a gold 2002 Civic Si on craigslist. Owner was asking $5000 which I felt was a bit high but because it was so clean and very stock I really didn't want to pass it up so I shelled out the money.

Being my first stick shift, it took me a few days to be able to drive the car proficiently and really enjoy what an awesome machine it is. Coming from my Jeep which was basically a 4wd muscle car (big engine, crude suspension and really only good in a straight line) to this car was like going from a hovercraft to a go-cart. This thing handles phenomenally well. (My car has lower, stiffer springs on it mind you). The seats hold you in tight and so far the car has only asked me to push it harder. Where my jeep was happiest at 1/3 to 3/4 throttle, the Civic Si is happiest when you're revving the nuts off of it. The car is a bit sluggish from a stop and 1st gear is really short but from then on it is just a blast. I would highly recommend a cold air intake on this car if nothing else just for the induction noise. At about 3k rpm you get the start of a great engine growl what just gets bigger an louder. But (on the stock exhaust) it's quiet enough for me to finally enjoy some classical music on the highway (when you aren't driving like Paul Walker of course).

The clutch is nice and light but very squeeky and bites in the upper half/upper third of the travel. The shifter could be notchier and have less play but the car does have 92000 miles on it.

It isn't the fastest thing in the world, in fact my old jeep is probably faster, but that is not at all why I bought the civic. I'd already had a car that was fast but I found that I rarely ever got to use all the power and because it was an automatic, the only time I really ever enjoyed the car was when I was flooring it (which was almost never). The 2002 civic si is fast enough where giving it the full berries is just as much fun as it was in the jeep but I'm not breaking the speed limit...as much. This is going to sound really odd but because the civic si is a bit slower, I can savor the sensation of acceleration and that wonderful induction noise for longer before I need to stamp on the brakes. Not to mention that every time you turn the wheel it's like carving a hole in the laws of physics. The trade off of course is ride quality. I would not say it is uncomfortable but you are going to know exactly where the town didn't do such a good job paving the roads.

If you value getting to 60 in under 6 seconds, going on road trips with 3 of your friends or being whisked to your destination surrounded by Egyptian cotton and duck down don't buy this car.

But if you are someone who says "I GET to drive an hour each way to...", who wants a car that will reward you when you push it and encourage you to push it harder while doing 30 mpg highway and being as reliable as a sun dial on a clear summer day then you really need look no further. If you can find one that hasn't been modded up the yin yang and thrashed by...well me.

Still fun and practical
By lrxst

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2016 update: I've had this car longer than any other by far, over 10 years now and the odometer shows 115,000 miles. It handles predictably, and has held up pretty well. It's not a common model, so people look at it and kind of scratch their heads. Parts are not difficult to find, but you have to make sure that the car is being identified by the engine size, as only the Si had a 2.0 engine. The clutch lasted 90,000 miles, and was a little over a $1,000 to replace at an independent shop. Other items I've had to replace in the last few years: front struts, two brake calipers, serpentine belt, oxygen sensor, and both electric door lock actuators. Other than that, it's been routine maintenance. Tuners might disagree, but the 2.0 K-series (K20A3) engine is a high-point of this car. This iteration of the Civic (EP3) made its debut in the European market in 2001, along with the K-series engine. Unlike earlier Civics it has a timing chain, so there is no expensive timing belt to replace. The Bosch electronic ignition also helps to make the engine low-maintenance. Besides the serpentine belt, the only other thing that has been touched on the engine was new spark plugs at 100,000 miles. The K20 stayed in production through 2011, and there are other engines in the K-series still in production as of 2016. I do wish this car had a 6th gear for driving on the interstate. The shifter is different than most cars, but I'm not sure why other cars don't have it there in the center. Typical Honda, carefully laid out, and you can make it live a long time with a little upkeep. I live in a wintry area. For a nearly 15 year old car, it has held up better than most. There are the beginnings of rust under the driver's door and rear wheel well. Having briefly driven a number of newer cars recently, this car does feel basic now. This car did not receive Takata airbags. The only recall to date was for headlight switch wiring. My local Honda dealer took care of that. My car also had a worn sensor in the driver seat belt, so the belt receiver was also replaced at no cost.

Lookin good
By Tanja

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

SI is a civic all grown up with all the bells and whistles. Had a 95 with 145000, ran perfect when I sold it. Just rusted. This car has good pick up even in fifth gear. Gas mileage is decent, use the cruise control. Better features inside, cup holders etc. than older models.

Easy to drive. Great handling, shifter is in a great position.

Occasional sixth gear needed, better fan for air. Live in AZ.