2018 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Comfortable but controls poorly placed
By Richard

2018 GMC Terrain SLT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I am finishing up a one month rental, and while overall comfort and handling are fine, there are some very annoying things about this SUV. First is the door lock system, although maybe this can be reprogramed. Instead of unlocking the doors when you approach, you have to push the button twice to open all doors. And when exiting, to lock them you need to wait until the last passenger has closed his/her door, standing in the rain or cold. Not like others where you can push the button while the doors are open and they will remain locked when closed. MOST IMPORTANTLY though, is a very poor location for the transmission controls and parking brake. With D and R needing a "pull" on the buttons on the lower console, and P needing a "push", you are off to a weird start, but you must take your eyes off the road to look down and pull the right button. And in the mountains, for engine braking, you reach to the far right, push "L", and then, push the + or - buttons above and below it, while moving your eyes from the dashboard indicator to the buttons in the lower right corner of the console. AND, I'll bet no one has ever used the parking/emergency brake, which is a little button on the lower left of the dash, in the shadows, that I had to bend forward and feel around to find. So, in theory you use your right hand to push P, then bend forward and find/push the parking brake with the left, and then lose the right hand to push the stop button (which is hidden behind the steering wheel. I also often reached to push or pull a button and found a purse or map covering it, placed by the passenger. I've had push button automatics before, but the buttons were on the upper portion of the dash, just next to the steering wheel, in your line of site.

Never know when something may go wrong
By Todd

2018 GMC Terrain SLT 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We purchased our 2018 SLT diesel Terran in September on 2017. It was a very early build and we had just sold back our 2012 VW jetta diesel due to VW fraud. It started out good but after a couple of months, things started going south. First it was the radio would just go dead and nothing could be done to get it back on until it wanted to. Of course, this would never happen at the dealership so nothing has been done to fix it to date. Then about 3000 miles I got a warning that the DEF system was low. After filling DEF, I kept getting different DEF warnings and vehicle shut down warnings. It stooped this for 2 days and on my way to Yuma Az, the warnings all came back, the vehicle went into limp mode and we barely made the last 60 miles to dealership. They found the DEF wire harness was to close to drive shaft and it wore thru the harness and shorted out the system. Back on the road that day. Move forward to August of 2018 and problems again. My wife called and said it quit and I had to leave work to go get her. It started up when i got there and she drove it about 600 yards to truck stop. It was smoking heavily and had no power. I contacted Onstar roadside service and it was towed to nearest dealership. It was diagnosed as a injector failure and then plugged the DOC. We were told the DOC was on BOP and no date when it may show up. After 28 days we were finally notified the vehicle was repaired. They blamed my K&N filter for the issues and removed it. K&N says there is no way and is helping me with this matter. The radio still quits at times and my wife is almost scared to take it any further than work and grocery store. I thought GMC would put out a better product and not have these type of issues. I tried to make a deal trading it in at the dealership we purchased it from but I would have to take a 38% loss in less than a year. I seems they know they cant sell it again.I will go back to foreign vehicles again as I have had much better luck

Terrain surprisingly fuel efficient
By Kwu

2018 GMC Terrain SLE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I bought the SLE and had leather installed by my dealer, so glad I did, gives it a more luxurious feel. Most of my driving is on roads that avg between 40 and 55 mph and my Terrain is getting about 33 mpg, really surprised. It handles well and as a everyday driver is efficient and in my opinion much nicer than my previous Escape. Overall very pleased and hope to enjoy this vehicle for many more miles. However, I will say the My GMC app sucks and doesn't work very well, but that's not the vehicles fault, the app is just not reliable.

An Amazing Suprise !
By Edmunds

2018 GMC Terrain SLE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Expect A confortable Ride.

SLE WITH UPGRADES
By Wyatt

2018 GMC Terrain SLE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Bought this Terrain about 2 months ago for my wife to replace her aging 2006 Trailblazer. She always said her Trailblazer was the perfect size and she was adamant about the size of the new vehicle being close to the same size. This Terrain comes darn close. She loves it!! We found an SLE with the 2.0 4cyl engine and the driver alert pkg and the infotainment pkg. This thing is a rocket ship and very comfortable even for a big guy like myself.