2017 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

2017 white terrain
By Daniel Johnson

2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I drove thhe crv, rav4, escape, none of them compare! The terrain is much quieter, more stylish and nicer riding. I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and got over 30 mpg. The best i received was 40.1 mpg!

Best vehicle in its class.
By Nate Leasure

2017 GMC Terrain SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have the V6 version, which Edmunds seems to be denying the existence thereof. It is something of a necessity. Now I have a neighbor who has the new model with the woeful 2.0 liter 4 cylinder, in an SUV that tips the scales at just under 2 tonnes, yeah right. We did a friendly little drag race on a deserted road, 1/4 mile. I not only beat him to the other side, I could have ordered a pizza in the meantime. There is a reason why they kept saying bigger isn't always better in the adverts (GMC makes 20 ft long trucks), it is pathedic. Now back to the good one. I once drove this on a mountain road in northern Arizona, it reminded me alot of the Golf GTI with it's quick revs and steering responsiveness. Bearing in mind it has awd, 301 bhp and is a bit bigger and higher off the ground. It is only let down by it's diminutive gearbox which is unmodified from the standard car which has roughly 100 less hp and +-80 less torques. The gear ratios are far too close together in 1-3 for this power and you will be switching between 4 and 5 like a teenage girl changes shoes on prom night, 6 is good though, long torque band and silky. With that being said if the gearbox was borrowed from the Camero, where the engine came off, it would be roughly a second faster to 60 and have another 10 mph to play with. Then your talking more about a BMW 3 series in terms of performance. Now how about the way we would enjoy this power and manuverabilty. This would likely be a family car and would have to spend the majority of its life on the school run and going to the store and back. As such it can't have a jaring ride or no space, or sound like you are under machine gun fire on the highway, alot like that 3 series. It is quite easy to live with everyday. The ride is subtle yet resosive, I can read the road with my tires but it doesn't break my back. There is enough room in the back to take a dog for a walk so it should hold your 2.3 children nicely. And if you fold down the seats, which can be done with one hand, there is enough room for a sizable pool sand filter. As far as noise level, it is rather well insulated, even into triple digits there is little in the way of vibration or road noise, the aggga from under the bonnet (it is not a hood!) on the other hand is not operatic but has a few good notes in its vocal range. If you get the interior in white, it is a rather pleasent place to be. Yes the tech is a bit dated and if you are short reaching the satnav screen can be a challenge. But on the whole, it is good enough. It doesn't wow you with tech but we're not asking it to be mission control now are we. We want it to tell us where we are, play our music, let us talk to our friends and tell us how soon we are going to back into the curb behind us. It does all that, what more do you need? Bottom line, it looks good, goes faster than anything else in its class, can carry a family, and is reliable as a wood burning stove. At the beginning of the Edmunds article, the author wondered why it was so popular after 8 years running, well, read above. There aren't many of these left at the time of this writing, if you see one new still lingering in a dealer, buy it just buy it you won't be disappointed, unlike if you bought the new model. Seriously GM, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

My 16 year old Yukon Quit :-(
By Judson

2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Check out getting in and out of the front seats. Don't expect your rear seats to fold down all the way. It is snapy and it saves me money over the V-8 I had before!

Look elsewhere!!
By L March

2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This SUV is small inside and is not child friendly. The doors are extremely heavy, so my kids cannot open them on their own without the chance of losing a finger. The air conditioning is the absolute WORST! It only has control in the front so the front passengers risk frostbite in order for the back passengers to have any air at all. The cargo/trunk space is very narrow and small. There is hardly any leg room, so tall people beware. We leased the Terrain because we were looking for a small payment and liked that it looked like a mini Yukon. If it wasn't for the deal we got, we never would have went through with it, because I am so disappointed that I have been trying to get out of my lease since month one. There are better options in small SUVs than this.

Terrible in snow,regret leasing it.
By Lisa A

2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We live in north east Ohio and this vehicle is the absolute worst for driving in snow. It spins and skids very easy,tires pack full of snow. The traction control is a joke! Can't wait until the lease is up.