Used 2013 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Terrain for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love this dependable vehicle

Ann, 02/01/2016
SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2013 and love it. Ride, handling, gas mileage, are great with no complaints. I recently traded it for a 2019 Acadia because I wanted a vehicle to pull a trailer.

Known Defect in Engine Oil Consumption

DD, 03/15/2019
SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently bought a 2013 GMC Terrain 2.4 L. The price seemed fair and vehicle appeared to be in good condition with relatively low miles. I did purchase an after market warranty, and am so thankful I did. I have had this vehicle for less than 5 months, and am now having to replace the engine. The engine not only consumes oil, but also builds condensation. My first indication of this was during a routine oil change when emulsified oil was found on the oil cap and the dipstick. No actual oil level was showing, only the emulsified oil film. When opening the drain plug, only about 2 to 2 1/2 quarts of oil came out. I felt the oil and found a fine gritty feeling in the oil...very bad sign. First thing Monday morning I called a GMC dealer and brought the vehicle to them reporting emulsified oil in the engine. Later that day I received a call telling me the timing chain needed replaced. As I have found out since, this is a common practice, but is not and does not resolve the root cause, it is just a band aid to put money in the dealers pocket. The repair facility stated I had mentioned a noise coming from the engine, which I had not done, performed and engine diagnostics, which I hadn't authorized, then told me I would owe them several hundred dollars that was not covered in my aftermarket warranty. Mind you, I had not check engine light, no alarms, no indication of any problem other that the oil issue I visually and physically saw. I have had to fight with the dealers repair facility to get the root cause of the problem addressed and an adjuster from the warranty company went to the facility to inspect the engine. Then and only then did I find out this engine would have to be replaced and as I did my own research found this is a common and ongoing issue with this engine. I have a friend with a 2017 Terrain that I asked if they were having any issues, and the told me that there last oil change they had emulsified oil on the dipstick. Welcome to my world. They fortunately are still under manufacturers warranty and are planning to get rid of the vehicle. GM has known about this problem and refuses to address it and make it right for their customers, even after our tax dollars went to bail them out. Shame on you and your 7 figure bonuses. I have always bought American, but this will definitely change that. Our federal government should step in and force them to fix their mess. I will still be on the hook for several hundred dollars and will only have a used engine as a replacement. So here we go again. Once repaired I will need to get rid of the vehicle as I still have a few years left on the loan. DO NOT BUY.

Great Ride

cousman, 02/23/2014

This is perhaps the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. Prior the Terrain I had an Audi and two cars ago a Mercedes and I do not for a second regret changing continents. I always chuckle a little bit when reviews say that such and such a car has less enthusiastic performance... compared to what. I tested a Mercedes GLK the same day as the Terrain, granted I used the gas peddle differently but I noticed no difference in acceleration and the handling was better with the GMC. In fact the stability when cornering is superior to that of my last five vehicles (3 Japanese and 2 German)

Regretful buy

Louie Aggy, 02/24/2017
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Extremely disappointed with my 2013 GMC Terrain. It has a 2.4 cylinder engine that consumes too much oil between oil changes. A Technical Service Bulletin was issued by GM for the problem but they have not done a full recall yet. Vehicle was stalling due to low oil issues. Intake Solenoid had to be replaced because of low oil levels. Transmission fluid leaked from trans torque converter seal, left rear wheel hub had to be replaced due to bearings going bad all with just 52k miles. The engine specifically in my vehicle is a safety hazard/concern for anyone with a family. My wife is a nanny and does not drive the vehicle aggressively.

GMC Terrain Now 5 yrs 74,000 miles. Satisfied.

Bob, 06/17/2017
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Still no substantial complaints. MPG 4 cylinder disappoints, avg mixed about 26 mpg. Power driver's seat not supportive enough, uncomfortable after 30 mins. Engine - A/C noisy in ECO mode. All things considered Not Bad. The pros: everything else: easy in and out, stylish inside and out, all power except lift gate, heated power seats, heated power mirrors, windows, great infotainment, GMC upscale std features. NO PROBLEMS, NO REPAIRS, NO EXPENSIVE SURPRISES. Tire note: original Firestone Destination LE lasted 72,000 miles! Recently installed 4 Vredestein Quatrack 5 (from Netherlands). What a BIG, BIG difference! Much smoother and quieter ride, better handling, with a full chart of 8+++ attributes. This review is likely the last for the Terrain.

DON'T BUY THIS VEHICLE

Chris Berry, 02/08/2019
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Being an owner of this vehicle for 6 years, I'm VERY disappointed with GM. Car was bought new off the lot with a 3 year maintenance package. It was served for the 1st 3 years at the dealer it was purchased at. Not one word was mentioned that this engine excessively burns oil, 1 1/2 quarts every 2,000 miles. The 1st time we bring it to our mechanic, he told us that it burns oil. Skipping to this year, 1/21/2019, it was a 2* Fahrenheit morning. My wife was driving to work, 33 miles one way, it stalled on the exit ramp. She got it started up again, but it was running rough. She got to work, maybe 1 mile away from the exit, and she noticed that there was a puddle of oil under it. A tow truck was called to take it to our mechanic. He determined that the rear main seal failed. After researching the probable causes, he found GM Service Bulletin 14882. This bulletin states that after a long drive in cold weather, the PCV system can freeze, and become clogged. In this bulletin, there's a picture of a 1/16 inch drill bit being used to clear the clog. The function of the PCV system is to let the pressure of a running engine to escape. So since it gets clogged, the pressure has to be released somewhere, and the rear main seal is where it's released. Since there's a service bulletin, it's a known problem to GM but only certain VIN numbers are attached to this bulletin, and my VIN isn't attached to it. Since my vehicle has 125,330 miles, it's not covered under the 120,000 mile cut off for this bulletin. This is a manufacturers defect that GM expects it's customers to cover the repair costs of. The PCV system is poorly designed. GM's customers didn't design this engine, so regardless of how many miles, or how old the vehicle is, this should be fixed by GM. I was told by a GM customer service representative to save my receipt, because in the future my vehicles VIN number might be added to this bulletin. That is a admission of fault in my book. This vehicle needs to be recalled and replaced by GM. Search GM service bulletin 14882. There's also a ACDelco of Canada bulletin for this repair as well.

Loving this ride!

NJ, 06/07/2016
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Drove an Altima coupe for 5 years and wanted an SUV for AWD purposes that was reasonable to purchase and repair. Doesn't look like a bug compared the all the other SUV's out there. Smooth ride and comfortable. Very dependable. GM did a great job with this one!

Perfect SUV for me!

beccalynn2021, 04/16/2014

I researched several SUVs before I decided to lease the 2013 Terrain AWD Denali in October 2013 and I love it! The V-6 provides a quiet, smooth ride. I love the red accent lighting and red stitching on the seats and dash. The back seat also has lots of leg room which is nice because a lot of my friends are tall. The backup camera needs a little work. It gets dirty easily and depth perception is off. Usually the longer I have a vehicle, the more I find that I don't like about it but the longer I have this SUV, the more I love it!

Worse vehicle I've ever owned

Leo, 11/09/2017
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The engine started using 1 qt every 1000 miles, GMC told us, that was normal. The oil usage increased gradually to 1.5 qts, GMC wouldn't warranty the engine and kept stalling , then the next issue was the high pressure fuel pump was starting to give out, the automatic timing adjustable failed next, this was replaced. No warranty. The oil filter was plugging up with carbon deposits, the car became unreliable in two years, and I should have stayed with Toyota 😁,

noisy

jim592, 07/05/2014
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is by far the noisiest car that I have owned. Their is no sound deadening material used to block road noise coming from the tires on the pavement. On black top, not so bad but on concrete forget it. Our 2008 Ford Escape has the same tire but with very little road noise. When I listen to the radio I have to turn the volume way up to here it over the sound coming from the road. The blind spot mirror is poorly designed and not very helpful. Still feel the same about the noise and mirror. I now have another complaint. When I had the car serviced at the dealer recently I asked about updating the maps in the GPS. I was given a number to call and when I did I was informed it would cost between $159 & $179. The salesman that sold me the car told me the map updates would be free. I was also told by the company doing the updates that I had the latest maps available, so no new updates for the three years after I bought the car. A total waste of $750. My Garmin has three updates for FREE and only cost $199. Don't waste your $$ on a GM GPS!

High Quality SUV

testdrive33, 02/24/2013

Last week we purchased a 2013 GMC Terrain SLE2 FWD with the 2.4 4cyl engine. It also came with the convenience package adds remote start and heated seats. Our previous car was a 2010 Toyota Prius, the lease was up and we needed something larger. I know the gas mileage will not come close to the Prius but we were looking for something with more space and better ride. I've been reading review of people complaining about not getting the advertised MPG. Only having a week with the car but I can say the MPG is accurate. On a recent trip we avg 29.6 MPG averaging 70 MPH. If you reduce the speed to 65 you can achieve the 32 MPG on the highway. Note most likely need to dive with ECO mode on

Love it, but....

fayettedale, 08/31/2013

I just bought a 2013 Terrain SLE-1 FWD. I really like the vehicle, but the build quality is terrible, There a 1/4" gap on the left front side between the hood and headlight/fender. Also, on the right side, the front and rear doors do not align. QC must of had the day off when they built this one. I didnt not notice these things til I got home and really looked it over. I am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow to get a different one as this one has who knows how many other defects. I hope they do me right as I really like the Terrain, it has decent power, is really quite, and the interior is super nice. I will post an update in a day or two and let you know how GMC handles this.

My second Terrain, and I still love it!

2pixel, 02/14/2015
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We lease our cars, and I took a chance in 2010 when the Terrain first came out. I was concerned about the 4 cyl engine, but it is just fine, and gets me anywhere I want. The interior is roomy, and the back seat makes it easy for guests to get in and out.

Junk

Dan, 07/07/2019
SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought this about 5 months ago with a brand new engine that had 100 miles on it, vehicle had 70k so thought we were getting a decent deal. The 2nd day we owned it the PCV system froze up like everyone else says and caused rear main seal to leak. Dealer spent 3 weeks removing engine and replacing gasket. Got it back and it was still leaking so they replaced valve cover gaskets and some timing solenoids. Engine still is hard to start about 1/5 starts like timing tensioner takes awhile to kick in. Just looked today and there is oil on bottom of engine so there is a new leak. The ride quality is low. The paint job quality is pathetic, every wheel well and behind door is rusted. Have replaced 2 wheel bearings already. Have only owned this vehicle for 5k miles, its pathetic for $15,000. This vehicle is worse then the 2004 Audi it was bought to replace. Get decent gas mileage other then that it is absolute garbage. Looks cheap, feels cheap, breaks down, rusty, lol.....WOW!

It looks gorgeous and has "perks"...

vnikolefoster@gmail.com, 07/11/2015
Denali 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

... I wanted but if it is always in the shop. I purchase a 2013 GMC Terrain Denali edition. It is beautiful inside and out but I came to realize quickly the previous owners traded it in for a Mercedes. I have owned the vehicle less than a year (after several trips to the dealership, because they could fix the problem because the computer did not register a issue [although they stated they felt the issue]) . Finally after I drove it for another two months and when back to have it tested again; they rebuilt my transmission. Really? I have 40k miles on it, why would the transmit already be messed up! I got my car back 2 weeks ago and when I pulled into my driveway after work today, I smelled coolant and I have a puddle under my car. If you can afford to purchase the Denali, I would recommend a different brand: Toyota, Honda, anything but a GMC!

Issues all the time!

Brian Spencer, 04/26/2015
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought brand new. The key switch has been an issue since the first week we owned it. If the steering wheel isn't perfectly straight when you park it, the key binds until you turn the steering wheel and turn the key at the same time. It randomly has binding issues when you attempt to turn the key off. This issue has been around since new and it still has not been resolved. If you lean against the door panels, the color wears off. I test drove it and the seat was in the correct position for me. I didn't know until my wife drove it after I got home, that the power seat is only half power! You manually slide it forward and back and tilt is controlled by power. The blend door actuator went out when it was cold and I had no defrost. The brakes squeal in the morning and stop making noises after the second time you brake. I took it in to the dealership and they took everything apart and greased everything and it was making noises when I drove it the next morning and has since! The engine makes noises the first 3-5 seconds when you start it in the morning. Dealership said it was caused by oil being a little bit low, but checked it when I got home and it was right at the line. Better get the extended warranty!

The absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned

Lisa, 12/10/2019
SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Oil consumption issues-no recall-GM hoping it goes unnoticed. You can Google this before purchasing. I bought mine brand new, Burned oil so fast that I would run on 0 oil-no lights came on but car wasn't driving nicely, figured out the oil was completely dry. Fixed this issue in July 2018 and in December 2019, my pistons' (that were just replaced a year before) were wearing out which means my engine is toast. GMC says their fix was only warrantied for 1 year, called GMC Canada who says this is not their problem. My 6 year old $40,000 vehicle with 130,000km is now going to be sold for parts. Will probably fight this further-DO NOT PURCHASE. Not the type to bash any companies online but I don't want anyone going through this same issue

Our Forever Vehicle

jtapp83, 05/27/2013

We did a lot of research and a lot of looking around before we decided on the GMC Terrain. Lots of test drives etc. We purchased our Terrain new Sept 2012. I am guilty of nitpicking a vehichle apart and I can say I am STILL as in love with our car as day one. The gas milage, the smooth ride, the very sharp interior just cant be beat. This is definitely going to be our forever vehicle.

Great look, and good performance

Jonathan S, 07/02/2018
SLE-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love the style amd how it looks different from most ofbthe current other suvs on the road. Some of the button locations were not intuitive to where they were on other cars i have driven. Once you discover where things are they dont have a disadvantage. 4cyl could he more peppy but what do you exoect with better mpg.

Noisy

jim592, 10/25/2013

A 3.6 cylinder engine option was not listed although that is what I have in mine. Road noise is terrible, especially on concrete. Thought it might be the tires but my wife has the exact same tire on a 2008 Ford Escape and it is 50 to 60% quieter than my Terrain. You would think for the price of this car it would have a quiet ride. I have the 6 cyl and only get and average of 20 mpg combined city & highway. Blind spot mirror is poorly designed

Great little car

Ronald Mason, 07/30/2016
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A great little car. Very satisfied. Still a great little car. Had it for 5 years now. NO Problems.

2013 GMC Terrain Denali AWD

Mr T, 04/24/2018
Denali 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The correct model is Denali AWD 4dr 3.6L V6. Edmunds didn't give me that option.

Do not buy this car!

Lorrie, 08/07/2019
SLE-2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Terrain for not even 2 years and it is messed up. It ran out of oil and I had no idea since I just had my oil changed 1 month ago. Now it died on me, started making a horrible noise, and the engine light came on. I got some paperwork last week saying there is now a class action lawsuit against GM for the Terrain and the Chevy Equinox. I loved this car and everything else about it is great but if it is not reliable, what is the point? This is the 2nd GM car that I have bought that has done the same thing. Growing up my dad was always a Chevy guy and I am a daddy's girl so I always thought Chevy's were great cars. They were always reliable long lasting vehicles until about 2010, everything they have made from that point on has been crap. Now I owe on 2 GM vehicles that don't run. BTW don't buy the Captiva, Equinox, or Traverse they all have the same issue.

2013 GMC Terrain 2.4L engine- total junk!

Matt Szcz, 01/06/2020
SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this as a used vehicle for my youngest daugher so she'd have something "dependable" for her and her 3 children to get around in. Boy was I in for a rough ride. Not too long after she started driving her "pride and joy" SUV, she complained to me that it was using quite a bit of oil. Good thing she's somewhat mechanically inclined, and knew exactly how to check oil, ask questions of mechanics, etc. At first, I was a bit disappointed to hear her complaining, after all, I went with her to help choose a ride. Made several mistakes in purchasing a vehicle that I won't soon make again, such as not doing thorough, and I mean thorough, internet research on the exact year, make and model you're considering. Whew, where do I begin? Still not out of the woods yet, but to date I have put nearly $8,000 in parts and labor into her 2013 GMC, just trying to fix all that's wrong with the engine so she doesn't have to pay 2 more years on a vehicle loan for a vehicle she can't even drive (it won't pass the emissions testing so it cannot pass inspection) Remove engine, replace pistons, piston rings, timing chain, drain, flush replace coolant, transmission fluid, new battery, at GMC discounted labor rate = $5050 Took it back after all that work, after engine computer reset itself, more engine codes popped up. This time, need to replace catalytic converter, gasket, water pump, gasket, another $2,000 plus in parts and labor. Hopefully all that she'll need to have a driveable SUV will be an inspection-but stay tuned, this piece of junk continues to amaze me with how many things on it are pure junk!

rough,rider

ken, 04/21/2017
SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

my 2013 SLT2 has to be one of the roughest rider and noisest on bumpy roads ever,have talked to the dealer and he simply said (thats the way it is), love the car on smooth roads,4cyl awd, just the klunk -klunk on bumpy roads is a real pain you in know where, this terrian is still a bumpy ride on bad streets, changed out rear shocks, no help, plastic body parts keep coming loose, i use a sheet metal screws to tighten then up, this helps with the noisey ride on bad streets, overall the car has been reliable and really nice to ride on good roads, millage has been as high as 34 mpg with reasonable driving habits

Junk

wpc, 08/15/2016
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Big mistake with this vehicle along with the dealer that sold it.

TERRAIN again! 2010 and 2013...

2pixel, 12/31/2012

I had a 2010 Terrain which I loved, and since it was a leased car, I had to turn it in this year. After several test drives of other cars, I decided to lease a new 2013 Terrain. I love the exterior styling!

Most unreliable car

Angie w, 10/24/2019
SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have had oil consumption problems since it hit 120000. If PCV valve gets clogged it will cause your front seal to blow out with no warning . Replaced drivers side hub, intake manifold gasket, o2 sensor and now dealing with blown out front seal due to clogged PCV valve. Hoping I didn't blow the motor. Dealer initially told me it was a design flaw in the motor that was causing the oil consumption. Wrong its clogged PCV valve. Gm wouldn't recall the design flaw if that would have been the issue

Junk!

Mac, 01/05/2020
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had 2 of these, both with timing issues, burning through oil like crazy. I had to add 2 quarts of oil every 1500 miles. So cheap oil changes once a month instead. They are not road quiet at all! I wouldn't reccomend this car to anyone ever.

Blown Engine due to oil consumption

Doug McCloskey, 01/23/2020
SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I noticed early that the 2013 Terrain was using old quickly. I gave the car to my daughter and told her to watch it close. Well, she was getting oil changed when needed but it ran low and engine blew in November of 2019. It was not until this week that I was notified by a GMC dealer of some oil consumption program or fix. Too late for me. We had to trade in the car so my daughter would have a vehicle. Doubt I will ever by a GMC again. GMC should gave addressed this or ar least reached out to owners long ago.

GMC Terrain 2013

Chris, 02/09/2020
SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Regret buying this vehicle. Bought it from a GM dealer, it was a certified pre-own and had no issues when I bought it. Hit 97,000 miles and the timing chain broke which blew the hole engine in the process. Had all oil change receipts and maintenance records. Called GM Corporate to help with the cost. They paid $1,500 of the $6,500 cost of a new engine. Ever since the GM dealer put a new engine in, it has drove poorly and only has 25,000 miles on the new engine. New problem just arise, which research tells me it’s common in these vehicle, is that the exhaust manifold has gone bad. This is a high cost repair. This vehicle has been a money pit. Also the brake caliper piston went bad as well.

51050