Used 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Venerable.
By Patrick

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4dr Crew Cab AWD 5.8 ft. SB (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Mine is a Denali AWD I've had 10 years. I bought this vehicle expecting it to have to perform from a range of luxury car to 4x4 off road vehicle. I have owned and operated all brands of trucks, including Cadillac EXT. By comparison, the EXT was the most luxurious and best road truck and hauler I've ever had and also performed well above average, but nevertheless--overall--the Sierra Denali beats it on all fronts except ride, horsepower and towing (but the EXT has the largest power plant in the class and that is why). This truck has met expectations well above average. I would highly recommend average forward looking maintenance on the vehicle, though, (like making repairs when an item is showing end of life wear) as that makes a big difference. I have almost 190,000 miles on this truck over all terrains, including farm roads, rock bluffs and trails, and it hasn't fallen apart at all, not even a loose bolt or rattle. Criticisms: The alloy rims tend to degrade over time and, thus, lose air. You'll be airing your tires up if you don't repair or replace rims when they show signs of corrosion, at about 7 years for me. Gas mileage plummets at high mileage, but not remarkably for a truck. I have gone from an average of 16 m.p.h. to 12-14. The engine has needed gasket and seal repairs for oil leaks, particularly around the pan and main bearing. I consider it routine as I did it at 100,000 miles and will again soon. Wheel wells on the rear started to rust out after about 6 years, so I've replaced them. The only other repair beyond replacing head lamps, which you can do yourself, is the cruise control went out. That's it. Pretty darn good for hard driving if you ask me. It still looks like new inside and out. Luck? Don't know, but it does, and it isn't just the repairs I did. It has held its own, particularly inside. Great truck. I'll drive it at least another 20X and then see where we're at.

Super Sierra
By 2008Sierra

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The body of this truck has held up amazingly, but be sure to look for those typical rust spots when purchasing a used GM vehicle. A good spot to look is on the rockers, inner rear fenders, underside of hood, front body framing under hood, and underside of the doors

Amazing work truck with 4.3
By dale

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

What a kick A## truck!! I used this truck for a whole week straight, major city driving, and merging at least 100 times on the free way. The truck is a (made in late 07) stripped down model, no ac, no power anything, no cd. 4 Guages on the dash, absolutely basic. Has the 4.3 Vortec and I am absolutely amazed with the power and handling of this base model! I mean it really gets out of its way! Merging and passing is no fuss at all, rarely goes over 3k rpm. Mileage is at 247k. Original 4L60E tranny, never rebuilt. Takes about 5 seconds to go into drive, although no slipping. Braking power is impressive. I highly recommend the 4.3. No fuel management BS no electronic junk, just an old style 4.3 (same hp as my 93 s10 lol). If your hauling an 8k lb trailer, look other ways. Towing 4-5k? NO problem!

AFM Lifter Camshaft Failure at 85K!!
By fedcr

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always loved the way that GMC's vehicles look, feel and drive. We own a 2008 Yukon XL and love it. This 2008 Sierra Crew Cab SLT 4x4 started consuming 1 quart of oil every 2K miles without any leaks, and then the traction control light, service engine light and many others came on at 84K miles (no warranty). Took it to the dealer where I bought it, and the dealer said it is cylinder 5, camshaft and lifters need to be replaced, and it would be better for me to spend $7500 on a new engine. I skipped the dealer and called GM who agreed to cover everything above $3500. I asked the dealer if the problem with the AFM has been fixed and the dealer said they are not aware of a problem. Ridiculous. So I have a brand new engine but have no confidence in how long it will last. I'm hoping to get rid of this and buy anything other than a GM product.

Lifters lift 2 grand out of my wallet every yr!
By A. Russell

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2007 Envoy That I really love, I bought it to see if GMC would be right for us when I buy my brand new truck after graduation. Did I mention, I LOVE my Envoy? Love everything about it, except for the LIFTERS!!!! Every year we have a few replaced. Tisk, Tisk on you GM, you need to figure this problem out. It is too expensive to ignore. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GMC, BUICK, CADILLAC, or CHEVY, until GM comes clean. GM knows that this problem exists and yet cannot seem to fix it, or admit they know something is wrong with their fuel management system. Thanks for an undependable SUV that breaks down every year because GM's fuel management system is faulty, shoody, and SUPER EXPENSIVE to repair! No, never again GMC. Love my ENVOY, so mad because Yukon has been my dream truck since I was a teenager. You can keep your "fancy" looking vehicles and your literally EXPLOSIVE Hcell cars, your defective gas tanks that kill people, I do not trust you GM. I am breaking up with you, and I never want you back. You are nothing but a disappointment, a mirage of what seems to be like the perfect vehicle until you realize you were just dreaming and this mirage you bought into will cost your family two to four thousand dollars once or twice each year. Perfection is impossible, but still, you are completely the opposite and not even close. Lies + perfection=deciet. #ENDRANT