Used 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Sierra 1500 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Love My GMC Truck

Dr. Grimes, 06/15/2009
K1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have pulled stumps with this vehicle as well as a utility trailer with household articles, motorcycle, and ATV. It never had any trouble. I did have the water pump changed a while back. The previous owner had placed small wheels on it for some reason. I put the size tires it should have had. Therefore, I think the mileage is a good bit less than the 60000 that the odometer reads.

My GMC turned me into a Toyota fan.

cspu, 11/20/2003
K1500 SL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 1997 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT extended cab in 2002 with 67K miles on it and sold it just over a year later with 81K. During that time it became apparent that GM is not building their trucks to last. I won't list everything, but major things include the waterpump, trans, and front axles. The squeaks and rattles were everywhere. The brakes are horrible, even after being replaced, this truck is too heavy for the brakes it comes with.

Love it

james dietsch, 07/13/2006
K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had a lot of fun in my truck. The only real trouble was me beating on it and pushing it to the limits off roading. Otherwise can't complain!

my 1st new vehicle ever

richard, 05/02/2008
C1500 SL 2dr Extended Cab LB

I bought this truck in 97 new off the lot. I replaced the tranmission twice, water pump, radiator, wiper motor, power steering pump twice, and the AC went out at 155000 miles. I loved this truck and would love to keep and fix it up. It has 223,000 on the small v-8 motor but needed a better mileage with fuel @ $3.50 a gallon. Everyone who rode with me thought it was such a nice truck. My lil kids love to ride with me and the fact that I could turn off the airbags, made them extremely happy.

Best Truck On the Road

rebecca, 09/30/2009
K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought truck 10 years ago, with 12,000 miles on it. Fuel pump at 100,000 another at 200,000. Wiper problem was a solder-fix. New starter, alternator. Truck runs like a champ, lots of power, has 210,000 on 350 vortec and I'm leaving for a 1000 mile trip next week. A comfortable ride, killer music system (after-market), tinted windows. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Several Problems

JHaysPE, 12/22/2003
C1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Purchased truck with 30k miles on it. Intake manifold gaskets have leaked / blown out and been replaced. Alternator has been replaced. There is a fitting on top of the intake manifold towards the front just behind the alternator that has severely corroded for some reason (looks like heater hose line) and will have to replaced. AIr conditioning/heater fan speed switch has been replaced. Leather seats have craked badly in spots in spite of regular care and conditioning. ANd third door has always rattled, popped, squeaked and basically sounded like a bag of bolts.

bad buy

leo444, 02/10/2004
C1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

transmission went out 50000 miles, wiper motor went out 52000 miles, alternator out 40000 miles, egr valve bad70000 miles, door handle broke 75000 miles, thermostat heater went out 66000 miles. many other little prob

Time out!!

edelp, 03/04/2004
K1500 SL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Third GM with intake manifold leaks. 1 4.3, and 2, 5.7 vortecs. GM knows this problem exists. ASK ANY DEALER. Sun Crashes dashes. Two water pumps, one on 4.3with 47000 miles, one on 5.7 with 50M Rattles in dash. Gas mileage on 5.7 is excessive. New tune up may get 15... Heater hoses are poor quality...corrosion.

No Brakes, Bad Electrical Systems

Brian Sampsel, 07/04/2006
K1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I've owned this 97 GMC z71 fullsize truck for about 2.5yrs. Had lots of repairs completed, listed are radiator, rear brake wheel cylinders (both sides) brake lines, alternator., water pump, egr valve, idler pully, headlight switch, loose steering box. The list goes on. The truck is much too heavy for the braking system. I lost the brakes at a red light, the brake pedal went to the floor. Rear brake line rusted out. This truck has been very well taken care of, garaged and with light use. About 79,000 miles on it now, looking to spend more money to get the electrical problems resolved. Breaks my heart GM can't build a truck that will last. Looking to trade, can't afford repairs, along with payments.

My Awesomer Truck!

Kid with a truck, 01/04/2007
K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Well I just got this truck from my parents, well my mom, with a whole 220 thousand miles on it! I love it! Only thing is my mom gave up on fixing the problems on it like 6 months before I got it, so I put a new heater core in, new radiator, new tires and wheels. We did have some problems with the transmission like at 160k miles, and I think the rear diff is going out.

51050