Used 2007 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews

$7,900

Used Envoy for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

They don't make them like this anymore!

tireguy, 11/15/2016
Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A lot of people can't tell the difference between what they're calling full-size SUVs now, and what they called mid-size SUVs in the 90s, but there is a major difference. When the popularity of SUVs exploded in the 90s, vehicles like the Pathfinder, Explorer, and Durango were based on truck frames, meaning the body basically bolts onto a ladder which has a big engine in the front, a transmission bolted behind it, and a driveshaft going to the rear axle. Now those same vehicles have much more in common with minivans than they do with trucks. Their construction is of a unitized body, which, rather than being a body bolted onto a proper backbone, is just a bit cluster of sheet metal with some stressed areas stamped with thicker stock. It saves weight, which in turn saves gas. In standard crash tests where it's the vehicle vs a concrete block, the safety compromise is negligible, but when two SUVs collide, one has massive beams spanning from bumper to bumper and a 500+ lb advantage in structural steel, and one has a body which is optimized for weight savings, how do you think that turns out? The powertrain is also different, going from a large longitudinal-mounted engine powering a rear axle and an optional front axle, to a small transverse-mounted engine with a combined transaxle powering the front with the rear being the option. So here you have the Envoy, the last of GMs mid-size SUVs possessing the guts of a truck. It's built on a ladder frame, with the same basic engine (5.3L V8), transmission (4L60E) and rear axle (GM 8.6" 10-bolt) as the Sierra/Silverado line of half ton pickups. It's an expensive way to build trucks, and GM abandoned it with the introduction of the Acadia/Traverse "SUVs." Most of the other mid-size SUVs, such as the Explorer, Pathfinder, and Durango have followed suit. Only the Toyota Four-Runner still uses a ladder frame. The true full-size SUVs (Suburban, Expedition, Land Cruiser) have retained the ladder frame, for now. As far as our Envoy Denali goes, it's a fun vehicle to drive. It's not especially spacious, not a fuel sipper, not the most luxurious, it's just a really cool vehicle for active people who don't have to carry a lot of stuff. Having owned this vehicle for almost 10 years now, I did two modifications to make it suit our needs: first, I added a jump seat in the rear from littlepassengerseats.com, which made it into a six person vehicle while still retaining a decent amount of cargo space. And second, I installed a lift kit from BDS to allow larger tires. The Envoy Denali is the only vehicle I know of which came with 245/60R18s, meaning there is almost no selection, and certainly no truck/SUV tires. By raising it up 2 inches, and adding 1.5" wheel spacers to the front, I was able to install the standard Chevy Silverado tires: 265/65R18. The vehicle looks awesome, but still stock to the casual observer. If you get the SLT, with the standard 17" tires, you'll have no problem finding tires, and the lift won't be necessary. Personally, I only got the Denali because I wanted that beautiful LS-variant V8 in the short body (305 hp based on the Corvette LS motor of the early 2000s). I was never really a fan of the bling, but love the bang. Toward the end, they did make some SLTs in that configuration, through they seem kind of rare. As far as major maintenance, it's needed nothing other than new rear suspension airbags at one point (about $200 each), and new front wheel bearings ($100 each). It does have three annoyances, however: 1) the driver's door always made a "thunk" when going over large bumps, especially while turning left. 2) I've found the decapitated heads of three of the 10 exhaust manifold bolts on my garage floor throughout the years, all from corner positions--it's not leaking yet, but when it does, the job will be a real pain with that huge engine shoe-horned into that tiny compartment. 3) The Bose system makes a buzzing, interference sound from time to time, which goes away with a good whack of the center console. I can live with those minor issues.

Envoy Denali

Laz Castellanos, 07/10/2017
Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If you are a GM fan you will love it, but if you are looking for an SUV that will satisfy your needs a little better go for a Ford Explorer. My Denali is a 07 and I like it don't get me wrong but I should have bought the Explorer, let me start the compariso. My Denali has a 4 spd tranny the Explorer 6 spd, Denali side air bags optional, Explorer standard, Denali 5 passenger SWB Explorer 6-7 passenger, Denali tech ok, Explorer excellent, Denali handling not the best, Explorer very good (I've driven one of my customers 08 Explorer Limited), back up sensors are not available on Envoys and come standard on Limited trims on Explorer and the list goes on. The active fuel management on GM products it is garbage and Denalis come with it not mentioning the suspension noises here and there even after replacing every single suspension component. Envoy Denalis are grate for long trips (I live in the bay area and I've driven mine to Portland Oregon, Boise Idaho twice to San Diego CA six times and to Guadalajara Mexico once with zero problems) and they are ok for city driving. Guys I make my living repairing automobiles and my Envoy gets the best of the best for its maintenance but I wish GM worked a little bit more on it before releasing it. By the way if you go for the Explorer get the V8 (bullet proof engine) instead of the senseless V6 (1mpg more on the V8). The Denali has been working for me because I'm able to fix the few things that go wrong my self and even as a technician I make mistakes purchasing vehicles but you don't have to. Envoy Denalis are not bad SUVs but drive a Explorer Limited if possible before pulling the trigger on the Denali.

BEST EVER

envoylover2007, 05/13/2013

Simply put, the best vehicle I have ever owned in my life. Purchased new in 8/07= 180,000 miles and the only thing I have ever had to replace is the Fuel Pump @ 70K. I have routinely changed with Synthetic Oil and Lucas Fuel Treatment additive. I believe this truck easily has another 180,000+ miles left in it!

Worthy of a place in my garage

tireguy, 05/26/2010

Bought a fully loaded RAV4 in '08 to haul my family of 5 around. Seemed ideal on paper; in reality it was an absolute bore to drive and own. Wife and I hated it, so we swapped it after a year (even trade) for a pre-owned two-year old Envoy. This is a vehicle you can fall in love with. It's a truck, on a ladder frame. It handles like a truck and I like that. It's got beautiful lines, lots of power, room inside, and a real hi/lo 4 wheel drive. No compromises. It's an all around great vehicle, and fits into my standard 2 car garage next to my Yukon XL perfectly. It's really sad that they discontinued it this year. Who rates a car poorly, based on the Nav system? Dude, get a Garmin

One of the best I have ever owned

luvmytruck, 09/21/2007

I bought mine 1 year ago and now have 31000 miles on it. I have had all kinds of cars and one other SUV in the past 25 years ranging from Fords to Mercedes. The comfort is fantastic. The ride is solid, secure, sure,and quiet. You get behind the wheel and you feel safe, confident, and in command. It is not fun but I do not think it was meant to be. It is hardly a sports car. But, if you want something that is comfortable on the road for long stretches, solid, safe, roomy, powerful, versatile, this is it. Even my dog loves riding in the back (sometimes with one of his friends). I recently drove it from NY to NC and back with my fiancee and her son. The drive was so easy. I just love it.

Owner

Ralph, 12/01/2006

An excellent all around vehicle. Very nice ride and very comfortable. Rides like a luxury car

Easy Choice

Easy Choice, 05/11/2007

Purchased new the day after big snowstorm.The 4WD is awesome and unobtrusive - really gets the job done. Also took from Ohio to Florida and back, great road vehicle. Fuel economy didn't suffer despite speeds of, well, lets just say well north of 70 MPH during the entire trip. Tire pressure monitor system saved our bacon when we picked up a screw in a tire in GA. The alert allowed me to change the tire before it went down and destroyed itself. Really nice vehicle. This thing has awesome legroom. I'm 6" and can totally stretch out.

WORST VEHICLE EVER !!! BEWARE OF GM/CHERVOLET !!!!

Bill, 03/22/2016
SLE 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Gave a 1 star because you have to pick something ! Purchased used with records, always in the shop ! Plagued by sensor, wheel bearing & rust issues ! That is just the start ! I will never buy another GM/Chevrolet product ! They do not stand by their vehicles ! 2007 GM Envoy has nothing but problems ! I do not usually write reviews, but felt that I had to try and save perspective buyers of the aggravation ! I'm selling my Envoy for 3k less just to get it out my driveway !

Air Bag Problem - Beware

Justin, 09/17/2010

My 2007 Envoy Denali has had numerous computer/sensor issues. Reads tire pressure and gas incorrectly. Recently the air bags deployed without cause. The interior has $3,000.00 in damages caused from the driver and passenger side airbags deploying. The air bag deployment also resulted in my girlfriend being sent to the ER. There is absolutely no damage to the exterior. Poor manufacturing - beware!

Great SUV. Bad Options

Salex, 10/11/2006

You hear all the hype about GMC being "Professional Grade", don't believe it. I purchased an '07 Envoy with a Nav System. This Nav system is a waste of money. It is DVD based like most, but the one thing that GMC did that all other makersdecided not to do was to only allow the in-dash unit to accept one disc at a time! For a $2000 option, don't waste your money if you want to Nav and listen to your CDs! Get the 6-disc in- dash and buy a TomTom or Garvin that rides on the dash. It is cheaper and better that way!

51050