Used 2004 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

One Thing Goes Wrong...Then Another...Then Another
By Mark

2004 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Envoy used, trading in a Toyota minivan with well over 200,000 miles on it. Boy, that was a mistake. We owned the car for about a year and a half and in that time I had to replace both front tie rods, the steering rack, the power steering pump, the control for the blower fan, the front upper and lower ball joints, and the water pump. When I took the Envoy into the dealership for an oil change I mentioned that the brakes were pulsating, which was interesting since the dealership told me that they had replaced all four discs, all the brake pads, and the front calipers, doing over $2,000 worth of work just before I bought it. The dealership inspected the brakes and told me that all four discs needed replaced as well as the brake pads at the cost of almost $800. On less than 10,000 miles of driving. We're not the slam on the brakes type of people. So that was the last straw. We traded the Envoy in at a loss for a used Hyundai which has only needed a new battery in the six months that we've had it due to a VERY cold winter. In that year and a half that we owned it we spent over $1,800 in repairs to the Envoy. In the ten years and 180,000 miles that we owned our Toyota minivan we didn't spend half that. Do yourself a favor. Don't buy a GMC. Don't fall for the "American Made!" patriotic bologna. If GMC made reliable vehicles they wouldn't have to wave the Red, White, and Blue to sell their cars. Besides, Toyotas and Hondas are made here in the USA too.

my first GMC Envoy
By sandy

2004 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I always want a Envoy and finally got it it runs good but a couple small problems the radio doesn't work to good the hatch to the rare window I'd broken causes the window to not open ..and there's this annoying noise underneath the vehicle the man said it was the spare tire under the car but it's been removed and the noise is still there with another noise added to the one I first heard I wonder what could it be but other than all that the suv is beautiful

I am a Ford girl who LOVED her Envoy
By Ronda Rader

I Hate This Car
By Laurie

2004 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

At 30,000 miles the movie player died. At 85,000 miles all gauges, power/heat for seats died. Gas mileage is horrible. I get 12 miles city and 16 highway (V6).

I cant understand why their isnt a recall on the dashboard gauges, its infuriating. Has completely turned me off to all GMC products.

Best Truck on the Road
By 04ennyslt

2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After reading others' reviews of the Envoy, I have a few comments. For people complaining of "knocking underneath, rough shifting" get your front suspension checked (tie rods/hubs...) I'm 20, make $10 an hour, These are NOT EXPENSIVE TO FIX (Cheapo's, come one, seriously, though.) Not only is this truck WAY better looking than any 4Runner, Explorer, Whatever; but it has THE SMOOTHEST ride quality out of any Comparable SUV I have ever Ridden in (I've ridden in a ton of SUVs). My Envoy has 170,000 miles and I have yet to experience a smoother riding vehicle. If you go to a reliable service center, you will realize this is one of the best late model trucks on the road today.

Gear Ratio, Smooth Running Engine (Inline 6), Leather seats, BOSE STEREO!!!, Exterior (And Interior Looks), Way you feel when driving it (I had an LR3 once upon a time, no comparison -- especially when considering cost-to-own), Commanding view, Bells & Whistles, Looks from other drivers (Mine is fully loaded, Black, SLT -- Super attractive), SUSPENSION/EXTERIOR BUILD QUALITY (Stupidly Hit Front and Rear Driver side on a Median going 45-50 mph and ONLY threw out alignment!!!! -- Not a THING was bent/ broken!), 4x4 System (Will not ever get you stuck)

Only 1 --> Improve Door Panel build quality (Bose System Vibrates certain sections of front interior door panels -- Although, do consider the fact that the Front BOSE Speakers are actually Woofers -- so amazing -- unlike most other comparable trucks)