Used 2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

Used Taurus for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...20

Pros
Cons

Love my Taurus

Steve Book, 01/02/2016
SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid Car - its a tank in the snow, and for a 3.0L engine, has lots of low end power.

Don't Waste Your Time

DDM, 04/28/2017
SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had this car for about 4 1/2 years before a drunk driver totaled it. Before this one, I drove a 1999 Ford Taurus. As far as the car itself goes, I actually loved it. It was very comfortable, roomy (for a mid-sized sedan), and met the needs of my four-person family. I really liked the great gas economy, I tended to average 30 - 31 mpg hwy and 27 - 28 mpg city. I took care of this car to the best of my financial ability - getting everything serviced when it was time to according to the service manual. I did not neglect this car at all. So, that being said, let me warn you why you should not buy a Ford Taurus unless it was built 2012 or newer.....My '99 Taurus was bad enough, I just outright learned my lesson with the 2005 one: 1) The transmission goes out completely (needing a full rebuilt at $2k a pop) at around 140k miles. 2) The power steering goes completely out on you around 120k miles 3) When you hit 100k miles, everything electrical needs to be replaced 4) the windshield fluid hose is too close to the engine and actually constantly gets burned through, not to mention the sprayers get constantly clogged 5)The power steering fluid is somehow affected by the AC system - Our AC/Heat kept both going out and each time the power steering would act up. We'd flush the powersteering and the AC would work again, then act up and the power steering fluid would be thick and black. No mechanic (3 looked at it) could figure it out other than to constantly flush the power steering and charge us $80 a pop. So in a nutshell: buy a Taurus and wind up spending thousands of dollars in maintenance per year. The resale values of these are the lowest of any car on the market just about. The market is so saturated with junk Tauruses, you'd be better off not buying one unless you just love visiting your mechanic.

This Might Help - Eccelerator petal gets stuck

Terri Smalls, 09/22/2015
SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I would not recommend ANYONE to ever by this car! Do you research on your own. This model has a record of the eccelerator petal getting stuck. Over 3 million reports. It happened to me and I had to call 911 while I was driving!! They refuse to recall until a certain number of fatalities. I am still paying for the car and can't drive it. This has been a nightmare!! I still owe a lot of money on the car, so MONTHS later. I watched a video on youtube of an older man suggesting a FIX for this EXACT model. I gave the Ford Mechanic the info from the video, he did it and it has worked for several months! The video man told us to do something with the Cruse Control Switch. It appears that once we fixed that. It would help. He was not sure how long, but it has HELPED! Once I can afford another car, I will get one QUICK! I called the better business bureau with my findings to contact ALL of you with the same problem to share info, but that brushed me off. This is a dangerous car. Don't buy it if you have not already!

2005 Taurus Transmission Nightmare

sarany123, 10/14/2010
SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car was great until this week! No issues at all, until going 70 mph on major highway and revved to 7,000rpms, lost all gears except park and neutral. No warning light, no noise. We could have been killed! Just paid $3,000 for new transmission on a car that just turned 65,000 miles. Called Ford to complain,they are sorry, but too bad! No powertrain warranty after 36,000 miles. No recalls on this year/model! Yet hundreds of complaints of same situation on internet. Ford does nothing! This is my first and last Ford!

I like my car taurus

irfan, 04/17/2010
SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in August 2009 with 74,500 miles though it's damaged from one side and mechanical problems when i got this car, i just changed the battery and the wheels in winter. Nothing else. Now 86k. No problem at all. Never went to mechanic. Reliable in any weather conditions. Ac works perfectly.

12345...20