Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

THE HULK
By Blackwolf

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I bought the Hulk back in 2008, I think, at 110,000 miles. I still own it today, has 285,000 miles and has been the best car I have ever owned. I will never get rid of him, he still has some issues with age, but he still rolls with the big boys and some that are stranded on the side of the road. You go Hulk!!!

She'll "SHO" you
By Man with SHO

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The car is what I wanted in a car for the longest time. I needed a cruise car, and this is what it is. The car would be comfortable for anyone. The performance is incredible. The car is what its worth but suffers from the Ford 90's transmission problems, camshaft lag, and transmission lag. Overall if you find one of these they are worth buying to have fun with or driving around. I daily this car and it doesn't have any problems. Another downfall is that the engine takes premium gasoline. but the car is nothing shy of being my favorite car, and soon to look into buying a new SHO.

Old ford still runs but it costs to run.
By Gordon

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car certified preowned in 2001 with 37k on it. At 42k it needed a camshaft sensor, 46k new struts, 55k cat converter and power windows. 67K the transmission needed replaced and replaced again at 99k. At 100k ac, radiator, crankshaft sensor, wheel bearings, windshield wiper motor and struts again, had to be replaced. We bought this for $14,000 and the resell value five years later was $2600. It still runs but we don't drive it much anymore. Piece of junk.

RIP 97 Taurus
By homerrocks2

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It (to me) was a very ugly car at first and I thought it was a piece of junk, but the style grew on me. I didn't realize how comfortable and nice it was until we lost her and got a ZX2 (talk about small, haha)

Easy reach radio Power windows/door locks Power seat Hidden cup holders/tape holders "bench seat" type front seat

No CD player

'Old Faithful' will be missed
By sean2011

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my dad (who owned it since 2004 when it had 119,000 miles) when gave it to me in 2009 when it had 210,000 miles after he bought a another car in 2009. In the time that it has been in my family, we had spent very little in repairs for it even after the time my dad ran over a deer with it in 2006 going 60. I was inpress how well it took to being driven hard and during northern MI winters it drove through snow as well as my buddies AWD Subaru did. Sadly, I reacently had to give her up after the orgional tranny seized up after 238,956 miles. I would definitely be concerding another Taurus for my next car.

Extremely reliable, surprisingly roomy.

Ugly exterior design. Why would Ford make a car look like a jellybean?