Used 2014 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Love my Mustang
By Mark L

2014 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Premium 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 4 different Mustangs in my life and this is by far the best. Extremely reliable, great sound system, good gas mileage (Regular unleaded in my V6). I have had no problems with my car at all over the last 4 years - it still looks and runs like it's brand new. Everything inside and out has held up very well. I really have zero complaints.

New mustang same old story
By William H

2014 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Within a couple of days of getting the car I already had people "hatin" on it for no reason, something about these cars draws people to hate you for some reason it seems. They aren't unreasonably slow but considering its a flagship v8 they are a bit slow vs their rival camaro. These seem to be more of a tuner car ie people modify the looks to suit their taste and they typically don't care about being faster than their rivals or they just think they are faster but in fact are much slower. The cars look great and are reasonably fast and priced well for what it is vs a camaro of the same year. Ultimately you get what you paid for though. I will likely trade this in down the line and upgrade to a camaro ss or corvette gs. Until then I'll live with the mediocrity that is the mustang.

14 GT Up to task!
By Don

2014 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

So this is my 3rd GT, 1st was an '05 automatic which was bulletproof. 2nd was an '07 manual 5spd, great car. In Oct. '15 picked up this '14 used with 37k miles. Got a nice deal. Mileage was kinda high but I'm hoping this one will last me at least 4 more yrs. Have 65k miles now. So far this car has been great! Only real complaint is the clunky 2 piece transmission. It clunks sometimes going from 1st to 2nd gear and occasionally 3rd gear, especially driving normal. like just cruising around town. Also, when sitting in neutral, then shifting into 1st there is a thump. I was told the center carrier bearing was worn out because it flexes up and down, but I believe it does that purposely because of the 2 piece design. The car is rated at 420 HP, so power at the rear wheels is probably more like 380, maybe less, like 350. Despite the clunky trans, I've got 65k miles and she's been rock solid so far. I had to do a lot of driving for a sick relative where I was driving almost 3k a month for 4 months. Gas MPG went up during those trips. I was averaging almost 27-28 mpg, which I think is good for today's muscle car. Definitely fun to drive, I just added Borla stingers on 8/2/17 and I'm so glad I did! Wow! I had MagnaFlow before which were ok, but the Borla really clears her throat, with no drone either!!!!! I'm not gonna complain about the backseat or plastics in the interior. I didn't buy it for that. I will say no spare tire. I need to address that. If I get a flat, then I'll be waiting for the Tow truck. I'll probably buy one soon. If your looking for a V8 muscle car on a budget, I'd say the mustang gt will check every box you need. Challengers are heavier, you can't see out of the Camaro's. Mustang's have the right mix of streetability and performance with bang for your buck. As far as gas goes, I usually run 87, then 91 every 5th tank or so. I always run full synthetic oil. Usually get about 7500-8500 miles between changes.

Great car for the money
By Matt S.

2014 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2014 GT (base) manual trans with only 3,000 miles on it in November, 2016. Guy before me drove it 1,000 miles every year for the first three years, and decided to trade it in for a Ford Escape. I've put a tad over 3,000 miles on it myself, and have added a Roush axleback exhaust, Barton short throw shifter w/ two piece mounting bracket, and aftermarket 20" staggered wheels/tires. I was surprised to see so few reviews on this model car considering it is already 3 years old. My impressions so far: The car is a great bang for your buck sports car. The power is NOT immediate, though, when you step on the gas. As another reviewer noted, you'll need to get the engine above 4k rpm to really notice any significant pull. Below 4k rpm the car seems sluggish. But if you are on the highway and shift down and get in that rpm range above, 4k, you will NOT think the car is sluggish anymore :). If you go with the manual trans, YOU WILL NEED to get an aftermarket shifter. I've driven tons of manual trans vehicles in my life and the stock shifter on my 2014 mustang gt may have been THE WORST shifter out of any car I've ever driven. HORRIBLE feel, long shifts, MISSED shifts (even when not 'getting on it'), and inferior parts make up the qualities of the stock shifter. I purchased a Barton shifter with two piece bracket that mounts to the trans. My good friend and I installed in about an hour or hour and a half. NIGHT AND DAY difference. The Roush axleback exhaust is also highly recommended, and I also installed that myself. Again, night and day difference. Quiet when cruising with zero highway drone, but open her up and it's pure bliss. Overall the car could use-in my opinion-a lower ride height from the factory. Interior quality is meh....lots of hard plastics. But who cares, I bought a Mustang, not a luxury car. I cannot attest to reliability yet, because my car is only sitting at 6,200 miles. Factory LED headlights and fog lights are BRIGHTEST lights I've ever had in any car. I mistakenly drove the whole way home with just the fogs on one night. Didn't even realize it until I got into my driveway. They are truly that bright (and I get high beamed every time I drive the car b/c people think the fog lights are high beams and it must hurt their eyes...). If you are looking for a good performance car for the $$, go for the 2014 Mustang GT. You won't be disappointed. A few things are a must to modify (see shifter comment...), but that's the case in most cars. Hope this review helps. Oh, I don't daily drive mine (anything but...), but I combine to get around 16.5 mpg, and that's with some spirited driving.

What the automotive magazines should tell shoppers
By 2014 Mustang Owner

2014 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Model - 2014 Mustang GT Premium with the 5.0L V8 and the 6 spd manual. Engine - Excellent rendition of a smooth Japanese V8 with DOHC and VTec, but it lacks the torque and immediacy of the old 5.0L small block. You will need to rev the engine well beyond 4k rpm to realize any benefit over a V6 sedan. Transmission - The 6 speed MT-82 Getrag is a huge disappointment. Not only is it produced in China with inferior parts and construction, but the shifter is remotely mounted making gear changes a nightmare when the vehicle is side loaded. When you combine the remote mounted shift mechanism with the stock Turkish sourced clutch assembly (that can't handle the full rpm range of the engine) you end up with a non-performer. Expect to be locked out of gear while the clutch pedal sits stuck to the floor anytime you're shifting over 6k rpm with the stock components. Attached to the transmission is a heavy two-piece driveshaft, which was needed when Ford went to the short MT-82. The clunks you will hear during stop and go traffic are caused by its excess weight and play in the joint. Some people are able to adjust their clutch engagement method to dampen the severity of the noise. Brakes - Find a model with the track package containing up-sized Brembo calipers. The stock GT brakes are adequate once you get used to the soft squishy pedal sinking to the floor on hard stops. Steering - This model came with numb electric power steering. There are 3 modes to adjust the weight, but the system just reduces the electric assist instead of providing actual feedback. Don't hop from a sports car into the Mustang expecting a road course ready car. Ford provides a good engine with a car wrapped around it and expects the owner and aftermarket suppliers to perform the engineering and troubleshooting that should have been done at the factory. All the problems have solutions, but not all owners will have the time or money to implement them.