Used 2007 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Major regret buying ST model
By Brian F

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Now, I do believe that this review is simply down to the exact specific car I owned, and may not apply to every 2007 model, but mine was an absolute nightmare. This is the first car I bought on my own, my first car was given to me from my father which was a 1996 Mazda Protege and when it got totaled in 2013 it had 250k miles on it with the original clutch which is insane. I want to put this all out there, as each experience will be different of course, but this Focus was severely lacking in reliability. I got it from CarMax, which is another thing I will NOT recommend, as it came with ALOT of issues they simply lied about or didn't fix. Test drive went great and I loved the acceleration, premium sound and subwoofer, the amount of leg and headroom (tall guy here), and the good estimated gas mileage. After I took the car home, the first problem was the alternator was bad and within a week of having it, it literally died on the side of the road. (ya know what they say, FORD = Found On Road Dead... I couldn't help but feel like this saying was true.) A week later, the power steering went out. I managed to pull into my driveway with a lot of force and I pulled the E Brake on, and as I started to get out, the car began to lurch backwards. I called CarMax and told them they need to fix this immediately. To their credit, they did fix all these things as I was within my 30 day dealer warranty. Now, I was hoping all these things were just due to neglected maintenance from the previous owner and was just normal for modern cars as they get higher in mileage. Anyway, it all went absolutely downhill FAST from there. I drove for uber and they had a new policy requiring a safety inspection. The car would not even pass inspection, due to a hole in the exhaust. It needed the entire exhaust manifold replaced, to the tune of about 1500 dollars. CarMax's "MaxCare" warranty covered NOTHING. So within the next three years I had many frequent and expensive trips to the mechanic. Broken front axle, broken ac knob (twice), rear car locks would not lock with the automatic lock, blew the clutch out and needed it replaced, CD changer was giving out and would just stop working. Now the little things usually don't annoy me as much, but it was seriously one after the other. I always changed the oil on time and rotated the tires. Check engine light came on three times each time needing new parts replaced. The last thing was the air filter box, and a broken PCV hose. I replaced the stock air box with a Cold Air Intake, but there was still a vacuum leak somewhere. Loss of power, incredibly decreased gas mileage, rough idle, and sometimes just refusing to accelerate in the middle of track (would go into gear, rev up high but not move whatsoever.) The flex pipe area was leaking exhaust all over, and the engine began to have a burning smell. When it worked right (50 percent of the time), this car was FUN as hell to drive, and really had some amazing acceleration especially for only 151 HP, but the cons vastly outweighed the pros of this car. I began to absolutely hate it, and worst of all, I no longer felt safe or that I would even make it to my destination. Literally on the way to trade it in, it stalled out and died in the road. Worst car I've ever owned, bringing NOTHING but headaches and an insane amount of stress having to put so much money into it hoping it would get better. If things start to go wrong, I now know it's best to take the loss and get rid of it. So glad I did. I do not have a resentment towards the Ford company at all, so this is not an anti-ford viewpoint, I truly believe I just got stuck with a lemon. Beware.

Great car for over 5 years
By Jeannette

2007 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The parts are relatively cheap compared to new be cars. Mine was a good car, I might have been lucky. I did all maintenance as needed and did need to replace fuel relay switch, fuel pump, master cyclinder, brake light switch. I only wished it had better gas mileage. Mine was a wagon with all the bells and whistles.

Odd man out with only one thing wrong for me
By Andy Crisp

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I typically buy a good used car, and run it into the ground. I bought this in 2014 with 110k, and hope to finally unload it this week (Jan 2018) at 175K. I may very well buy the same darn year & model car advertised with less than 100k at 3800. We'll see. I am not a particularly demanding person so I forgive a lot of stuff that others may gripe about. I also have bad hearing so the noise mentioned by other reviews never bothered me. I invested a fair amount in regular maintenance, and one engine mount from years of Pennsylvania pot holes, but the only thing that's costly, and I did not get done, and bad is the $400 broken clock spring in the steering wheel. This means no horn, "always on, sometimes off" dash lights like check engine, ABS, and others. I really like the turning radius, handling, acceleration, and stopping (saved me more than a few times). The engine and trans are still excellent, and I sometimes abuse both, but it has 175K so I know it's on borrowed time. I came looking at reviews, but based on my experience, and my expectations from an economy car, I may do it again. Sorry to be so wordy. Sounds like an obituary for a good friend.

The worst car in automotive history
By roger hessman

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This cars electrical system is a nightmare. The alternator blew out 4 times in first year(6000mi). Now the battery warning light comes on randomly. Repair shops can't figure out whether its the alternator, voltage regulator, or battery. I'v installed new batteries 4 times. The parts for this car come from different sources all over the world. The whole design of the electrical system is moronic. I will never buy another Ford or any American car. From now on its Toyoto or Honda. One last note, the $2000 extended warranty that dealer [non-permissible content removed] try to sell you are totally worthless.

Never again
By SC

2007 Ford Focus ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

On the good side, this car is still running at 190,000 mi., but not without a ton of repairs. Parts are expensive. Most costly repairs so far was a bad steering column and air bag. Also noticed some design issues that make me wonder if the engineers intentionally made it difficult to work on. I used to be a believer in Ford, but not any more.