Used 2007 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

It's done everything I've asked of it for 11 years
By Marcus

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

*Note: this car is an automatic, but Edmunds for some reason appears to only list manuals for this year* We bought our 07 Focus, Ethyl, brand new for $15,000+tax with 13 miles on the odometer. It's now sitting just below 160,000. I've abused it. I've driven on gravel roads, pot-hole covered city streets, ran it hard on short trips, and only changed the oil once or twice a year (with 15,000 mile full synthetic Mobil 1, but still). It had a couple of recalls in the early days, and recently...I had to replace a hose clamp. The air conditioning has recently stopped working, but for a car I've changed a grand total of one non-wear part on, I feel like I can get that fixed and still be ahead of the game. The little white Focus still handles nicely, has good power for its size gets 29 mpg, and starts up every time. I would buy another in a heartbeat (In fact, this was our second Focus We had a 2001 that we drove from 2004-13 with similar results). Oh, and I'm just a hair under 6 feet tall, and this car has the best headroom of any compact I've been in, better than many full-sized cars. You can scoot the seat back pretty far, there's a telescoping wheel, and - the best part - it has this weird little crank under the seat that raises or lowers it. Once it's lowered down, you could be around 6-4, 6-5 and still sit in the drivers seat comfortably.

Long time Ford Owner
By Duane Stern

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Newer cars may have more bells and whistles, but this car did more than meet expectations. We had it since it was new and would consider a Ford for our next purchase. At over a hundred thousand miles it is still quite road worthy.

its a truck, no its a minivan, no its a SUV
By john scheide

2007 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car I use it for deliveries at work it has a lot of ground clearance for the long rutted driveways, The wagon version of the focus pushes it size class to midsize with a lot of headroom and cargo space, leg room could use a few more inches however. Acceleration is adequate with the 2.0, the 2.3 would be nicer but it only came in sedan st models these years. The car rides and handles great, though the extra money they spent on the passive rear steering apparently came out of the interior, all hard plastics and not much storage. My wagon currently has 416,000 miles I have been through 3 valve cover gaskets 2 alternators a power steering pump and some control knobs for the AC, But the power train has been rock solid, original clutch and I don't have to add oil between changes

Excellent car for me
By Richard

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Focus used from a dealer with 90k on it and I’m currently at 175k. Still has great acceleration and mpg, but some body rust. I took it into a body shop and the owner told me, it would cost more to repair it than the car is worth. Rust on the wheel wells and rocker panels is fairly common on this model. I needed to put $800 into front suspension a year ago, I blame Michigan pot holes for that. Aside from a few minor issues it is a great car. The heated car seats are a very useful option and the trunk holds more than a Ford Fusion.

Major regret buying ST model
By Brian F

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Now, I do believe that this review is simply down to the exact specific car I owned, and may not apply to every 2007 model, but mine was an absolute nightmare. This is the first car I bought on my own, my first car was given to me from my father which was a 1996 Mazda Protege and when it got totaled in 2013 it had 250k miles on it with the original clutch which is insane. I want to put this all out there, as each experience will be different of course, but this Focus was severely lacking in reliability. I got it from CarMax, which is another thing I will NOT recommend, as it came with ALOT of issues they simply lied about or didn't fix. Test drive went great and I loved the acceleration, premium sound and subwoofer, the amount of leg and headroom (tall guy here), and the good estimated gas mileage. After I took the car home, the first problem was the alternator was bad and within a week of having it, it literally died on the side of the road. (ya know what they say, FORD = Found On Road Dead... I couldn't help but feel like this saying was true.) A week later, the power steering went out. I managed to pull into my driveway with a lot of force and I pulled the E Brake on, and as I started to get out, the car began to lurch backwards. I called CarMax and told them they need to fix this immediately. To their credit, they did fix all these things as I was within my 30 day dealer warranty. Now, I was hoping all these things were just due to neglected maintenance from the previous owner and was just normal for modern cars as they get higher in mileage. Anyway, it all went absolutely downhill FAST from there. I drove for uber and they had a new policy requiring a safety inspection. The car would not even pass inspection, due to a hole in the exhaust. It needed the entire exhaust manifold replaced, to the tune of about 1500 dollars. CarMax's "MaxCare" warranty covered NOTHING. So within the next three years I had many frequent and expensive trips to the mechanic. Broken front axle, broken ac knob (twice), rear car locks would not lock with the automatic lock, blew the clutch out and needed it replaced, CD changer was giving out and would just stop working. Now the little things usually don't annoy me as much, but it was seriously one after the other. I always changed the oil on time and rotated the tires. Check engine light came on three times each time needing new parts replaced. The last thing was the air filter box, and a broken PCV hose. I replaced the stock air box with a Cold Air Intake, but there was still a vacuum leak somewhere. Loss of power, incredibly decreased gas mileage, rough idle, and sometimes just refusing to accelerate in the middle of track (would go into gear, rev up high but not move whatsoever.) The flex pipe area was leaking exhaust all over, and the engine began to have a burning smell. When it worked right (50 percent of the time), this car was FUN as hell to drive, and really had some amazing acceleration especially for only 151 HP, but the cons vastly outweighed the pros of this car. I began to absolutely hate it, and worst of all, I no longer felt safe or that I would even make it to my destination. Literally on the way to trade it in, it stalled out and died in the road. Worst car I've ever owned, bringing NOTHING but headaches and an insane amount of stress having to put so much money into it hoping it would get better. If things start to go wrong, I now know it's best to take the loss and get rid of it. So glad I did. I do not have a resentment towards the Ford company at all, so this is not an anti-ford viewpoint, I truly believe I just got stuck with a lemon. Beware.