Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used F-150 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Best truck I ever owned

Jerrys Truck, 11/29/2006
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Good Truck

TN, 02/26/2006
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new in 1997 and put on 151,000 miles on it in 9 years. It is well built and reliable. The only unscheduled repair was when the transmission broke at 98,000 miles. It was rebuilt for $2,000. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. Now at 151,000 miles it needs some repair but it shouldn't be too bad considering the low repair history so far. I'd say investing $2,000 now would buy me another 3 years of trouble free driving. Don't be afraid to grab one of these used if it has a clean bill of health. It will last you a long time.

All '97 5.4 L Knock on cold start up (overbore)

Jerry Myers, 01/20/2016
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ford discovered a calibration error on the block boring machine that ended up over boring the early 5.4L engines for all of '97 and half of '98. This was discovered (especially up north) when many fleet trucks with this new modular engine began to knock like a rod bearing going out during cold weather start-up after approximately 85,000 miles. After engine warm up or in warm weather (well above freezing temperature) the knock subsides (metals expand in heat). Apparently, according to the tech bulletin issued in late '98-'99, the cylinders in the 5.4 L's we're accidentally over bored causing piston slap when cold during startup, and stated it would not harm the engine or interfere with function or performance. After purchasing a 35,000 lariat 4x4, I found the news disappointing at best and little consolation for owners that have to listen to an annoying knock in the engine until warm-up of the engine or warm weather (which ever comes first). Mine has over 160,000 miles as of this note date, and has not burned oil, but simply irritates me that Ford would not do anything about it (expense of putting oversized pistons in these engines to cure the issue). WARNING: AVOID the 5.4L engine in the '97 and most of the '98 Ford vehicles at all cost. Beyond that they're good engines!

Couldn't Ask For Anything Else

Great Truck, 01/01/2005
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new. Original brakes lasted 80k and first set of tires lasted 90k. Unbelievable but true. One breakdown in 8 years (ignition interlock). Plan on keeping it for as long as possible.

300, 000 miles little work

arobe, 08/05/2012
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my truck in 2000 w/ 54,000 miles on it. I just broke 300,000 miles with maintenance consisting of oil changes, brakes, heater core, basically a new front end, starter, and alternator. I had an 86 f150 prior, thought it was the best truck ever. i was wrong this one was. the sad part of the story is the motor just locked up on me. However, i will either put in a new one or buy another 1997 with 100 or so thousand miles. can't say enough good things about this truck! it may be 15 years old, but if u can get ur hands on one for a decent price, run with it. Born and raised a ford man

Miss Mexico

missmexico, 05/26/2013
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

(xlt 2wd flare side 4.6 v8 4sp automatic ) Bought new in 97; love her. Did have problem with a blockage in oil pan that caused the engine to lock up around 90k mi. (factory fluke) Ford was a dick about it, but has still been good truck. She has had her share of small problem from parts breaking from old age. The transmission sucks and has now power in 2nd and I wish I could change that, but still going with around 200000 miles on her. Truck gets around 14.5 in city and 17.5 on highway. She got rear ended on may 8th, totaled, or I would driver her into the ground. Not a fan of the gas mileage, but would take her over another truck.

A great full size truck

Daniel, 05/17/2016
XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I went to ford and don't see myself going back! 4.6 liter engine in this truck sounds great and is known to be a famous engine. Interior and quality surpasses the Chevy products I've had. Very smooth ride and well worth getting an older model to save a little money. The 4.2 v6 and 5.4 v8 are also available, but I have heard they had more frequent problems than the 4.6. Then again you mainly read reviews from only Unsatisfied buys.

Fantastic Vehicle

Mark, 01/26/2016
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Father bought this pickup, brand new, in 1997. Since then the only repairs we have needed to do are basic maintenance, brakes, oil changes, air filters, so on and so forth. Lucky for me, he handed it down to me free of charge about a year ago (late 2014) with 125,000 miles on it. It now has 150,000 miles on it, which isn't a lot but I have a very heavy foot and the v-8 sounds great and pushes the truck forward with a lot of force. Not having 4-wheel drive in the winter can be annoying but it still gets me where I'm going.

a truck that ca ntake a beating but keep on ticking

jbscrappy, 12/07/2012
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

i got the 1997 ford f-150 with the 5.4 V-8 with a milage meter on in it that has rolled over twice and now sitting at over 290 thousand been threw hell an back but still keeps on goin with only a new belts a battery alternator regular oil changes an trans fluid this truck is one of the best trucks on the road to date even with it's flaws due to being old and high milage

Good American Product

hydropump, 10/07/2006
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Good experience, drives easily. Minor problems recently with "fault light" erratic turn on/off. No material structural problems. Normal tire wear. No alignment problems. This is my most recent Ford and much better service than 1988 and 1978 similar versions.

)ver all GREAT TRUCK

Scott, 10/15/2015
2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Very fuel effishent and does what it should do for a truck of this size, and will even do what it shoud'nt beable to do. I have polled a trailer with 4000lbs of wood with another 1000lbs of wood in the back and have towed it 50mi with alot of up hill and it did slow on the hills but for the amount of weight I was moveing it does awsome and it has never let me down yet.

1997 F150 4x4 Short bed Exteded cab Lariat

Donald, 05/13/2016
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a great truck... was bought new at kendall ford in eugene oregon.. and was handed down to me with 165K miles and now its pushing 240K miles and still runs and drives great... has stock motor and its on second auto trans.. this truck is fantastic.. ive owned ford chevy and dodge pickups and this one is by far the most reliable and great driving truck..

Won me over

Martin, 04/15/2019
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Since Edmunds doesn't have a choice for anything older than 01, thats as early as I can go. Our F150 is a 97. I've been an old school Dodge fan since a boy... but after a snowmageddon event in 09, we needed a 4x4 my wife could easily drive... and we can afford. At the time we had and still do have a very modified LUV 4x4 on a Wagoneer chassis. It's a fun toy but a hub froze up and we needed to get to a funeral. Thankfully our road finally got plowed and we got out in our PT... Then the following March a dealer friend called. "I have a blue 4x4 with 88,000 miles, it's clean, well maintained, and I'll make you a deal on it." I told my wife and we decided to go look at it... he didn't tell me it was a Ford. We test drove it, and I was blown away... even after taking it on a gravel road in 4hi... and we were sold! Ten years later we just rolled 103,000 on it being our "2nd car." But when needed it's never failed us. From 1000 mile road trips, to moving friends and family, to hauling premix and lumber, to going on dump runs, to camp outs, to more snomageddons... it's never failed us. It's biggest challenge was to get us 40 miles in 4lo to make our Canal cruise. We left right at the beginning of another snomageddon two years ago. Except where we live we get heavy ice too.. so it was 4 wheeling at its worst as the busted up ice shook us to pieces and wore my wife's arms out (I can't drive). Semis were backed up twenty miles and much snazzier lifted 4 bys were spun out along the highway. With no chains and going slow, we got to her mom's... and from there the kids got us to the airport the next morning in thier 98 Expedition. Disaster averted. As for reliability in spite of the scary Triton spark plug stories; we've had no engine, tranny, or diff issues. The only things replaced were the A/C compressor, 4x4 solenoids, the front calipers, pads and rotors; and one cut tire last summer and fall. We do the usual maintenence and the truck still proves out to be Ford tough. We just bought a small travel trailer and the truck doesn't know its there. MPG is nuts... it's better than our PT was on the highway. I think the 295's have a little to do with it. Plus we run them at 40 psi instead of Ford's dangerous 'exploder' psi's. The interior is still in great shape and there's nary a rattle on road. The only complaint is the stereo... like how many buttons do you need? But a trip to Car Toys will fix that. Our F150 won me over and we'll keep it until it's time to pass it down.. great truck!

Original Owner, Great Value Truck

Bad da Bingg, 02/13/2009
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

Best truck I ever had

Steve, 03/10/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

Made to last

zee, 07/31/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

It's been a great truck, turned 218,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Well it finally left me on the road. Not trucks fault, differential ran dry. I been taking it to NTB for regular changes and they never checked it. Shame on them. I am having it fixed. 4.6 L engine keep on purring !

Loved my Alice!

Jamie, 10/09/2017
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I bought my f150 used, 20 years old, with 313,000 miles on it when I bought her. The only real problem I had was with the multifunction switch wore harnesses. I didn't get to finish fixing that before someone hit me last week and totaled her. Had I been in any other vehicle, or not had the grill guard it would have been way worse. My truck basically hugged us and kept us from being seriously injured. Even with as many miles as she had, 340,000 at the time of her death, she was the most dependable, comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I would not hesitate to take her anywhere! Awesome truck!!

LOVE MY TRUCK

josh, 02/28/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned a 2000 Silverado before my ford . The only thing i miss is the Eton Locker in the rear and the AUTO 4WD. This truck gets GREAT MPG i hand calculated it at 22 mpg! that was at 65 mph and 295/85R16 BFGoodrich all terrians and the A/C on!!. my favorite part is the sound it has a mean growl in the exhaust that makes all other trucks wet there oil pans!!!. Also the engine in it is a 4.6 TRITON. I LOVE IT!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Pull's like a dream i regularly pull 4 Big polaris quads on a 15 foot trailer.

Want the truth?

Blake, 05/03/2016
XL 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have a '97 XL Extended cab 3-door, with a 4.2L V-6, 5-speed manual transmission, and 2WD. This is a good truck, with just a couple of exceptions. Unless it has been repaired or replaced in the truck you're looking at, beware of the 1997 4.2-liter V-6. This engine was initially built with a too-thin intake manifold gasket, which caused many of these engines to leak coolant into the #1 cylinder. The resulting hydro-lock caused many of these engines to grenade at around 100,000 miles (ranging from as low as 60K to 140K), and send pistons, rods, etc., through the block or oil pan. HOWEVER, if the gasket has been replaced with the updated one, or if the long block has been replaced after a blown engine, then these engines are totally reliable and powerful. I bought mine at 114,000 miles with a new long block, and at 182,000 miles it runs perfectly. Mine is a little spare in 'creature comforts,' but it's a truck. PS, PB, tilt wheel, cruise, but otherwise cloth bench seats, vinyl flooring, and an adequate sound system. It has the tow package, with hitch, trailer brake, and both 4- and 7-pin connectors. Mine also has a bed liner and matching cap. The truck tows beautifully, with only one real concern- the extended-cab is so long and the front wheels located so far to the front of the truck, that this mandates small, gentle steering inputs to prevent 'sphincter-slamming' yaw and veering one way or the other. You learn quickly to use an easy touch. Estimates for gas mileage are at best, laughable. Mine ranges from 12 in the city to as high as 14 highway... tops. Period. And yes, the engine was properly run-in; I did it myself. Got the truck with only 600 miles on this engine. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil or coolant, and is as dependable as any vehicle I've ever owned. I love this truck, and I do not plan to replace it. Ever.

F150 Can't go wrong!

Michigan trucker, 12/03/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F150 with just under 100,000 miles on it it now has 126,000. No problems to report. This truck is the nicest one i have owned. I always buy used and have been wrong in my choice a couple of times. This purchase was not one of them. The style and motor/transmission combo is great. the interior is well designed with room to spare. Seating is big like you would expect in a truck but it is also comfortable. The rear bench is has good leg room but really its not where any adult wants to sit for a long trip but it is prefect for the kids or the dog. I would highly suggest a F150 with this motor its is excellent. No rust after all these years!

Awesome Truck!

Chauncey, 02/10/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought w/100k on it. Other than tires and oil no major repairs needed. 140k now and replaced front and rear brakes 1 time and replaced 02 sensor and 3 spark plugs and that is it. I use for landscaping so most miles I put on are hard work miles and it does great. Unbelievable traction, comfort. Out of 5 other trucks, this is the best truck I have ever owned and would buy again if I could find one like it.

My '97 Used P/U

Jack Latty, 03/31/2005
2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Vehicle has been very good. It has done all I've asked of it, both in a "fun" situation and in a work situation. It handles well, however, fuel economy, particularly in light of extremely high fuel prices, could be better. It averages only about 14 MPG. I have a '01 Expedition, with a larger engine that gets much better mileage. (P/U has a 4.6 V8, Expedition has a 5.4 V8) I would not hesitate to recommend this year model to anyone looking for a good used P/U.

4.2L Engine

Scot , 04/26/2005
XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like the truck, overall design outside, and interior room. I have had the truck since it was new, mine was equipped with the 4.2L engine. At 88,000 miles the transmission went, at 89,200 the engine went. I was very much disappointed with that. I had the transmission rebuilt and purchased a new engine from Ford, I think it runs better now than when I first purchased it (WAY MORE POWER)! I would buy the truck again but would stick with at V-8 engine. If you're buying used be careful about the early 4.2L; my understanding is it had a lot of problems, the newer ones are supposed to have all the problems fixed.

First Ford & Best truck yet

Denny, 08/05/2018
XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Got my 97 Ford F-150 regular cab short bed in on trade and was hesitant about it because ive never owned a Ford before (CHEVY GUY) but im so glad i did because its been the best truck ive had yet..i drive it way over 100 miles a day to and from work and its never broken down or left me stranded..the triton 4.6l v8 is strong and tough, it uses a little gas while passing everything on the hwy going 80mph but once im home I drive it easy and gets 20mpg easy..had 169,000 when i got it but I drive it everyday and between oil changes it uses a half quart of mobile 1 full synthetic oil and thats not bad for a 97 model with high mileage..i never do nothing to it other than put gas in it and it goes and goes, it has no rust, new interior, remote control stereo system with amp and speaker box and bedliner with a toolbox and I love it..like I said, its bullet proof, the motor and tranny is strong and if it ever tears up on me I couldn't complain because ive only got $1500 in it and it's seen its fair share of work and I'll never put another Ford down again...theres good ones and bad ones in all of them, mostly depends on how theyre kept up and how theyre treated so if your buying one be sure to find out as much as possible from previous owners because I can tell u everything about mine..all I can say is if your thinking of getting one and it's been kept up maintenance wise you can't go wrong..i love mine and plan on keeping it

Stone Cold Reliable

BTE, 09/16/2006
Lariat 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My F-150 has been a pleasure to own. I do wish for more torque from the 4.6 at times, but that is really due to the OHC design which predictably displays the opposite power making characteristics of what should be in any 4x4 truck. I added 4.10 gears to mine to make up for the lack of torque and it improved off the line performance considerably with little effect on gas mileage. At 140,000 miles all I have done is standard maintenance and it runs like a champ. The interior has held up well too. It seems better built than the new F-150s (noticed the cheap plastic fuel door on the current trucks). My tailgate is heavier than some but if you can't lift it then buy a Honda or a Subaru.

Built Ford Tough

nascar_nfl, 11/24/2009
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new in 1997 and it has held up great ever since. I now have almost 190,000 on this truck and it runs perfect. I have installed lots of aftermarket parts to the truck and have always taken care of it. I live in the Mountains of Southern West Virginia so this truck sees alot of road salt during the winter but still has no rust. I take this thing off roading alot to and it NEVER gets stuck and Ihave been in some deep mud and water. The interior has plenty of romm and I am 6'3". It is also stylish and has good sound from the speakers. Built Ford Tough!!!

4.2 engine a bust

Disappointed, 04/13/2010
2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Love my F-150

bassmax, 06/04/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Super truck

JRaney, 06/26/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my truck used in 01 and have owned it for 6 years and all I have done is maintenance and changed the tranny fluid 2x. My truck always starts and runs great. My father in law has an 05 Silverado with a 5.3L and we always use my truck for heavy loads because they crush his suspension and all I have is the 4.6L. All I wish was better fuel mileage but the truck is almost bulletproof and the 4x4 system is great. All it needs is a locking rear differential.

Fix Or Repair Daily

bigruss, 10/25/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I have a 1997 F-150 XLT 4x4 with approx 165000 mi, ran well when just bought but developed a heavy cylinder misfiring issue. This is common with many F-150s especially the 4.6L V-8. I had to take the truck into the shop 3 times to fix the issue and the cause still cannot be diagnosed today. It is still misfiring! I do know that I have to keep changing my spark plugs which are almost impossible to gain access to. The total cost of repairs on this issue is now near $500. Another issue with this F-150 is the 4 wheel drive system. It mal-engages and a I hear a big BOOM underneath the cab. I engage it normally by setting it in neutral and then switching it. Ford must improve their quality!

Great Truck

NPLM, 05/10/2002
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

My F150 is a '97 Ext. cab SB Lariat (exactly like the one in the photo section of this site) with 76,000 miles. It is a great riding truck with plenty of power from the 5.4L V8. It is smooth as glass on the highway. I've noticed that the ride actually improves when adding load or towing. Interior design is elegant as well as user friendly, and the build quality is top notch, with little wind noise or rattles. Has had no problems since new. My only complaint is the 5.4L engine is thirsty, getting an average of around 15-16 MPG,(city driving). I would recommend the 4.6L unless you really need the extra power. Overall great truck.

F150 XL 6 cylinder (4.2 L) Auto Trans.

Steve 1, 01/14/2003
XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Overall the vehicle has been pretty reliable. Although the brakes (disc front/drum back)seem to need replacement more frequently than most, transmission torque converter went out at 65000 miles, this model has sealed front end ball joints and had to be replaced also at about 65000 miles, gas mileage has been about 12 city/ 19 highway. Truck is well maintained with no heavy towing or abuse and regular maintenance. Good low end torque for 6 cyl.

A pleasure to drive

Chang Limbang, 02/11/2003
XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Power nothing, but A/C & Cruise control makes for a more comfortable ride. I was a bit skeptical about the 4.6L V8 since Ford ditched the 302 from their truck line, but its run out very well for me. My only problem is a clunking noise in the rear end when taking off. I plan on having it looked at soon. Other than that its been a dependable truck for me.

My 1st Truck

04 Desmo, 08/01/2003
XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Never thought about getting a truck, but an implulse buy made me glad I did. It has moved me 3 times over the last 3 years. This thing is very reliable, and for 115000 miles still work like a charm. The 4.2 V6 w/ 5sp has a bit of get-up and is fantastic on the highway. Great control location, and the interior design is highly functional and comfy. Exterior design is OK. Residual is alright for a 1997, but I have no plans in selling it. I'm trying to put in a CD player, but the 1997 stereo is unique, and I can't find one!

Reliable Lariart

Lhr Vati, 09/29/2003
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck was an excelent purchase. I've never had a single issue with it and it has been a reliable workhorse.

Nice Overall Truck

matt howard, 01/08/2005
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had this truck for 6 months and it has been reliable. I love the way it looks inside and out. It is a great truck to have if you want to have fun and go offroad or just drive onroad. It has a comfortable ride and it is very comfortable also. This truck also looks real nice with big tires and a lift kit put on it. I will probably buy another Ford truck when I decide to buy another one. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

I Love It

Tom Gapch, 02/01/2005
XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I've had it for 8 years with nothing but normal maintenence. When it comes time to sell, I plan on getting the same truck with the same features. It handles great in all types of weather, and here in NJ we get all types of weather. It's been reliable, and we've used it for 7 trips down to Tuscaloosa, AL. (998 miles) with no problems. I have severe back problems, but because of the lumbar support captain chairs, I have not had to stop to get out of the vehicle to stretch. In fact, the only time we stop is for gas (about every 5 hours). I'm 6' 4", and cannot fit into a lot of vehicles. There's plenty of room to fit 4 people in the back, even with my seat back.

Girl's Truck

reelqueen , 02/27/2005
3dr Extended Cab LB

Loved the truck as soon as I saw it. Didn't think I could drive and maneuver it. Found it to be a great ride and tows our boat with no problem.

My 1997 Ford F150 review

cconlee, 03/30/2004
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great Pickup. I have seen some others that have paint problems. My paint cracked on the roof due to expansion/contraction over the years. Also I have seen limited rust spots on the bottom of doors. check the doors exterior right behind the window area for a hairline crack due to lack of support built into the door. Engine has never had a problem. Overall very pleased.

Dud Engine

yard man, 04/01/2004
XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Truck was great until the motor imploded. Research on the web informed me of 4.2/v6 engine problems with Ford. TSB only addressed lower gasket. Recall only fixed a portion of engines mfged' during period. Water coolant leak into motor from upper and lower gaskets displaces oil in motor which results in total engine failure. Clues should have been coolant odor but never a leak on ground. When it happened, loud bang and clank under hood and continual pouring of white exhaust from tailpipe. Also strong odor of coolant from exhaust. End result, $4000.00 Jaspar replacement engine which is the same engine but with improvements of Ford's poor design.

redesign engine

NICHOLEMARIE, 09/09/2004
Lariat 2dr Regular Cab LB

my f-150 2 dr 4.2 ltr has been sitting at my dealer ship for 6 months. the engine died at 68000 miles and ford will not take responsibility for this. i have gotten in touch with attorney general in my area( consumer protection) and waiting to here from them. i dont think i will ever buy another ford, also the total of the bill is 5000.00 that i don't have! this truck was maintained very well, and this really makes me furious!!!!! is there anyone that i could write to other than what i have done already? is there an address that i could write to and make sure they get it? please let me know. thankyou, lisa

Old Blue

Indy2007, 08/20/2007
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My father purchased this truck off a used car lot. It was a one owner and the owner was a old man who wanted a new vehicle. He bought the truck with a little under 1000,000 miles on it. He had to put a new exhaust on it as well as fix a cracked injector and normal wear and tear parts. This was a family truck with a 5.4 triton motor that worked great for pulling our 26 foot camper(6000 pounds roughly). Due to his job he had to buy a 4x4 and gave his son(me) the truck. I drive it to and from college(about 2hrs). and it is wonderful. I have gotten up to 18 mpg(driving senible) but if you drive it hard it can go under 14 mpgs. It's has 150,000 miles and still looks and runs as good as a new one.

10 yrs ago the seller said she's a great old truck

Jodi, 01/15/2019
XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Lots of miles and lots of looks and she still trucks

Overall very nice truck

Earl, 07/06/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very comfortable ride. Quiet engine. Mileage good for large truck. Has 100,000 miles on it. Looks and runs like new truck

Slightly modded, but was fine before.

Al Hoyt, 08/08/2008
XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I own a 97 Ford F-150 XL Step-Side, 4.2L V6. Of course the V6 is lighter and quicker then the 4.6L I run all over 4.6's Tranny went out before I bought the truck, which suprised me, usually Ford trannys, especaily manuals are indestructible. Nothing at all has gone wrong with it other than that. I have 115,000 miles on it now. I installed a belltech 6" drop for better handling. Very tight turning radius. Very lightweight. And I get better mileage than my dad's 4.6L. Very well built truck. Fun to drive, starts effortlessly every morning. I never worry about anything.

Junk!

jeff, 11/15/2010
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab LB

Motor had radiator fluid in the vents, Walker Ford completely finished off the motor trying to fix it! I drove it in and had to tow the truck out!

Unreliable after year 5

cougar10, 06/08/2009
XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

My family purchased this truck new for my brother. My brother didn't like it so my dad drove it and when I got my license I inherited this pile of junk (it was 10 years old). When i first started driving it it was ok but lately its been making sudden jerks and noises. After i drive it for a little bit the motor keeps on making noise. The temperature gauge has caused it to die. I have to hit the tailgate to open it. My family has only had Chevys before this and we are all going back to Chevys. Built Ford Tough is a big understatement. I can't wait to get something nicer.

1997 fORD PU

Tito, 07/16/2002
XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The Ford PU is a very good truck for the person who does not desire to have a lot of bed space,, I use mine primarily to go back and forth to work for a total of 28 miles per day 5 days per week. The mileage is about 15 miles per gallon with the automatic that I have

Never Again. Ever.

RandallFord, 06/22/2009
XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this new off the lot. I was so proud to be a Ford man like my daddy before me. This truck is such poor quality that you might think it was just a lemon. Sadly, it is all just phenomenally substandard engineering. In the first few years, things seemed good. But at 50k miles the engine began to go south. By 75000 miles, it began drinking my coolant. The dealership could identify no problems. At 102,000 miles the engine blew up. Turns out it honestly was poor design. In a moment of candor, a mechanic said I was lucky I got 100,000 miles. Problems: transmission, breaks, clutch, radiator, electronics, and finally engine.

I do not trust this vehicle

ice cream man, 07/03/2008
XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I like the drive but I cannot keep it on the road because I've had numerous problems. I have replaced the engine twice in less than a year and the transmision during this time and now I am experiencing a vacuum leak. I will never invest in anything that has the name Ford on it, even if it is a toy.

51050