Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

Used F-150 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...13

Pros
Cons

Best truck I ever owned

Jerrys Truck, 11/29/2006
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Good Truck

TN, 02/26/2006
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new in 1997 and put on 151,000 miles on it in 9 years. It is well built and reliable. The only unscheduled repair was when the transmission broke at 98,000 miles. It was rebuilt for $2,000. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. Now at 151,000 miles it needs some repair but it shouldn't be too bad considering the low repair history so far. I'd say investing $2,000 now would buy me another 3 years of trouble free driving. Don't be afraid to grab one of these used if it has a clean bill of health. It will last you a long time.

All '97 5.4 L Knock on cold start up (overbore)

Jerry Myers, 01/20/2016
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ford discovered a calibration error on the block boring machine that ended up over boring the early 5.4L engines for all of '97 and half of '98. This was discovered (especially up north) when many fleet trucks with this new modular engine began to knock like a rod bearing going out during cold weather start-up after approximately 85,000 miles. After engine warm up or in warm weather (well above freezing temperature) the knock subsides (metals expand in heat). Apparently, according to the tech bulletin issued in late '98-'99, the cylinders in the 5.4 L's we're accidentally over bored causing piston slap when cold during startup, and stated it would not harm the engine or interfere with function or performance. After purchasing a 35,000 lariat 4x4, I found the news disappointing at best and little consolation for owners that have to listen to an annoying knock in the engine until warm-up of the engine or warm weather (which ever comes first). Mine has over 160,000 miles as of this note date, and has not burned oil, but simply irritates me that Ford would not do anything about it (expense of putting oversized pistons in these engines to cure the issue). WARNING: AVOID the 5.4L engine in the '97 and most of the '98 Ford vehicles at all cost. Beyond that they're good engines!

Couldn't Ask For Anything Else

Great Truck, 01/01/2005
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new. Original brakes lasted 80k and first set of tires lasted 90k. Unbelievable but true. One breakdown in 8 years (ignition interlock). Plan on keeping it for as long as possible.

300, 000 miles little work

arobe, 08/05/2012
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my truck in 2000 w/ 54,000 miles on it. I just broke 300,000 miles with maintenance consisting of oil changes, brakes, heater core, basically a new front end, starter, and alternator. I had an 86 f150 prior, thought it was the best truck ever. i was wrong this one was. the sad part of the story is the motor just locked up on me. However, i will either put in a new one or buy another 1997 with 100 or so thousand miles. can't say enough good things about this truck! it may be 15 years old, but if u can get ur hands on one for a decent price, run with it. Born and raised a ford man

Miss Mexico

missmexico, 05/26/2013
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

(xlt 2wd flare side 4.6 v8 4sp automatic ) Bought new in 97; love her. Did have problem with a blockage in oil pan that caused the engine to lock up around 90k mi. (factory fluke) Ford was a dick about it, but has still been good truck. She has had her share of small problem from parts breaking from old age. The transmission sucks and has now power in 2nd and I wish I could change that, but still going with around 200000 miles on her. Truck gets around 14.5 in city and 17.5 on highway. She got rear ended on may 8th, totaled, or I would driver her into the ground. Not a fan of the gas mileage, but would take her over another truck.

A great full size truck

Daniel, 05/17/2016
XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I went to ford and don't see myself going back! 4.6 liter engine in this truck sounds great and is known to be a famous engine. Interior and quality surpasses the Chevy products I've had. Very smooth ride and well worth getting an older model to save a little money. The 4.2 v6 and 5.4 v8 are also available, but I have heard they had more frequent problems than the 4.6. Then again you mainly read reviews from only Unsatisfied buys.

Fantastic Vehicle

Mark, 01/26/2016
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Father bought this pickup, brand new, in 1997. Since then the only repairs we have needed to do are basic maintenance, brakes, oil changes, air filters, so on and so forth. Lucky for me, he handed it down to me free of charge about a year ago (late 2014) with 125,000 miles on it. It now has 150,000 miles on it, which isn't a lot but I have a very heavy foot and the v-8 sounds great and pushes the truck forward with a lot of force. Not having 4-wheel drive in the winter can be annoying but it still gets me where I'm going.

a truck that ca ntake a beating but keep on ticking

jbscrappy, 12/07/2012
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

i got the 1997 ford f-150 with the 5.4 V-8 with a milage meter on in it that has rolled over twice and now sitting at over 290 thousand been threw hell an back but still keeps on goin with only a new belts a battery alternator regular oil changes an trans fluid this truck is one of the best trucks on the road to date even with it's flaws due to being old and high milage

Good American Product

hydropump, 10/07/2006
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Good experience, drives easily. Minor problems recently with "fault light" erratic turn on/off. No material structural problems. Normal tire wear. No alignment problems. This is my most recent Ford and much better service than 1988 and 1978 similar versions.

12345...13