Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Wolf in Sheeps clothing
By Bruce

1996 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the ‘96 Explorer Limited just to get me back and forth to work. It’s size and the 5.0 power actually makes the drive to work fun. Going to replace the shocks, feel a little mushy, already replaced the front sway bar links and will probably replace brake pads soon. 4 wheel disc is great. Speedometer works but, odometer gave up at 180K. Fuel gauge doesn’t work, I fill it up every couple of days just to be safe. Will fix that in time, not worried. Previous owner put on custom exhaust, love the sound! Gets a lot of looks when I pull up and everyone hears that deep rumble. Acceleration is awesome, smokes everybody at the lights! Car is still fun. Fixed the odometer but my fuel gauge is stuck on half full. Need to get the front end aligned, a little knock kneed right now but drives fine.

Im never giving up this car!
By Julian Novoa

1996 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I own a 1996 ford explorer limited with the 5.0 302 v8. We owned it since 2001 with 37,000miles now it has 166,000 miles we take it on road trips all the time and never has left us walking. The limited trim is absolutely luxurious and the alloy limited wheels are just pure style. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a v8 and a luxurious inexpensive SUV.

Nice, dependable car!
By Elizabeth Smith

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is a comfortable, good riding, easy handling car with plenty of cargo space. We kept this car to use for our road trips, because it rides better than our new 2016 car!

216,000 Work horse
By Karrie

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

We bought this 3 years ago with only 174,000 miles on her and now 216,000 miles and still runs great. Only put radiator, water pump, tires and oil changes might need a rack and pinion soon but runs strong. Going to try and keep her running for another 216,000 miles...

WHAT I EXPECT FROM AN EXPLORER
By Kevin B

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a lot of Ford Explorers over the years from a 76 Ford Explorer Truck to a Camper Special to even owning a 92 Ford Explorer SUV with all them having accept for the camper special having V6 or inline 6 cylinder engines, but my latest is the AWD V8 which is a work of art to me. This truck in dependable and reliable. Of course I know it is not used to go rock climbing and is for normal to mid off road use, unlike most try to think it should be. In my opinion this SUV is what it should do an average to above average SUV