Skip to main content
$27,025

Save as much as $477
Select your trim:
12345...8

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2022 Escape, so we've included reviews for other years of the Escape since its last redesign.

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Solid vehicle that gets better over time

Rob, 04/23/2022
2022 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had this vehicle for a while now and I'll be honest, when I first got it...I thought that that the 8-speed transmission was a little strange and the vehicle had uneven performance. Some days it would perform flawlessly and other days the transmission would gear hunt, shift hard, throw in an odd shift or shift too slowly. I even looked it up and thought it was a DCT transmission, because that's what it initially felt like. It turns out that this car has legitimate break in period of about 2,000 miles. The gears have to be worn in, the computer has to learn driving behaviors and things will tend to smooth out over time. The SUV is absurdly fast for what it is, smooth and handles like a dream. I have no issues passing anyone or getting up to speed quickly. Honestly, it doesn't even feel like a crossover, it feels more car like when compared to the previous generation Escape. If you closed your eyes, you'd think you were driving an Audi or a 4cyl Macan or something. The interior is basic in a good way and user friendly with technology that is easy to use. It doesn't feel like a confusing Star Wars spaceship cockpit like a lot of these modern vehicles. Many reviews criticize this vehicle for having a strange transmission behavior or saying it's not fun to drive....WRONG. Do NOT judge this vehicle new within it's first 1,700 miles. It is a transmission that needs to be driven and worn in. The vehicle is FUN to drive and I often find excuses to take it out on the road just to have fun driving it. I've tested this car against the new RAV4 and there is no comparison, the Escape is hands down the better, faster and more composed vehicle. I would only shop and compare this vehicle against the Mazda CX-5 and they are practically the same vehicle. Both are "driver's" cars. I highly recommend this car.

Idk…

Alex T, 04/22/2022
2022 Ford Escape SEL Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

Had the car a week and a half so far. Pretty SUV. Love the sunroof. Been averaging 36 mpg. The fake leather material loves jeans, I got it in the sandstone color and have already had to use leather wipes to get the blue stain off. Has 3 different rattling noises. One is the B&O subwoofer in the trunk. Can’t listen to music at any volume, whether the bass is turned all the way down or all the way up. (Upon further research and reading forums, apparently this is a normal thing for escapes with the B&O sound system that doesn’t have an actual fix 😒) There’s some tapping noise that happens at all speeds, happens every time I drive without fail. There’s some weird clunking when I go over bumps. Door rattles. Passenger door has a hard time closing. The touchscreen is slow to respond. System is slow to connect to CarPlay. Waited 4.5 months for it to come in and I’m pretty disappointed. Taking it to the dealership next week and we’ll see if they can fix anything. If not, there’s no way I’ll be keeping this. I feel like if it’s already got all these issues fresh out of the factory, what else is gonna be wrong with it after 6 months, a year, 3 years, etc….?

Remarkable mileage!

John S, 04/29/2022
updated 07/06/2022
2022 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

Just purchased 2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD. Excellent driving feel and hugs the road. Nicely built with no flaws I can find. The mileage after 150 mixed roads miles is a remarkable 42 mpg. The gas gauge barely budged at 1/8 tank used 400 plus mile range remaining. This an SUV not a Prius! The hybrid power train uses the electric mode frequently with flawless engagement of the gas engine as needed. My only complaint is the excess of interior hard plastic. Seats are great and otherwise the interior is excellent and this creates a negative distraction. It looks ok but feels cheap. Unacceptable in a Titanium model and Ford should fix this asap. An update after 3 months. Continues to be a great car. Drives nicely and was great on a long trip because the seats are excellent. Our mileage in mixed driving in our rural are is an incredible 45 miles per gallon using eco mode frequently. My wife and I love this car!

Enjoyable Drive

PUMA, 04/28/2021
2021 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

Personally like interior trim, smooth ride, and many extra features in the Titanium Hybrid. Added a hitch for small towing needs, installed by Ford. Factory installed would have been ideal but wasn’t in stock at time of purchase. I am particularly impressed with mileage. So far approx 43% of my overall miles are electric, however mostly short haul trips. No regrets! Very happy so far but time will tell how it holds up.

5 out of 5 stars

2021 Escape Hybrid/Titanium if fabulous!

BobT, 08/30/2021
updated 09/08/2022
2021 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

Our 2021 Escape Hybrid/Titanium if fabulous- 51 MPG in the first 10 mile trip driving home from the dealer and I have pictures to prove it! We have been getting 45-56 MPG with mid-range gas in our daily driving-mid 40s on the highway at 70 mph with the AC running and mid 50s on two lane roads and in city traffic generally 45mph or less. The Hybrid drive and CVT make it very smooth starting and stopping which is very important for a family member who has had extensive neck and back issues and the battery pack shifts the center of gravity back toward the rear wheels making the hybrid much more nimble than the fully gas powered Escape. It's AWD and navigates the narrow, poorly maintained mountain road to our home with no issues. Power is more than adequate on the highway. We are very happy with this vehicle.

12345...8