2020 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $4,199
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Lots of Value!

ChrisD, 02/12/2020
SE Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

I cross shopped a RAV4 Hybrid, and a Mazda CX-5. I left the Toyota dealership impressed with the RAV4 Interior but disappointed by the handling, drivetrain and truck-like demeanor. Plus, the Toyota was expensive! With the Escape, I guess it was love at first drive. I immediately found the Escape's handling to be agile and very car-like. Steering felt precise and the eCVT felt and sounded great. I ended up leasing the SE Sport Hybrid trim, so I'm really enjoying the great mileage (up to 52 mpg on my route to work). I also love the clean European-like design of the exterior along with the attractive interior. Some professional reviewers seem stuck on some of the plastic parts featured on the interior, but I can't see the problem. The dash and front door panels are soft touch and have a great look and the amount of hard plastic wasn't that much different from my trade (2015 BMW 328i). Visibility and ride height are a plus for me, and the LCD display looks high-tech. I also cross-shopped the Mazda CX-5, but I'd have to stay with the smaller 2.5 engine to stay in my price range. I believe my final decision came down to the available hybrid powertrain on the escape. As for the CRV, there is something I don't like about the styling, inside and out, so I didn't even test drive the Honda (although I previously owned and loved the Gen3 CRV).

I was impressed...so I bought one.

Darlene and Marty (AKA Darty), 03/06/2020
Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

In the past few years I had a 2010 Escape hybrid and a 2019 Escape (turbo) as work vehicles. I rated them as 'just ok' but have to say the 2010 was doing very well for a nine year old vehicle. I test drove the 2020 Escape Titanium hybrid and wrote up a full price offer the next day. I had already driven most of the other hybrids that were available including the Rav4 which became my second choice. I am very impressed with all aspects of the 2020 Titanium. I love the new body style. The Rav4, Honda CRV, and Mitsubitsi were downright boring to look at in comparison. The ride and comfort of the Escape was notably better than the Rav4. If you test drive a hybrid Rav4 the first thing you may notice is that when you come to a stop it makes an annoying electric motor noise [like a siren] that actually startled my wife the first few times it made the noise while she drove. It is that loud. The centre arm rest was found to be uncomfortably high in the Rav 4 and the interior and displays were sort of disappointing. Additionally, the truck like front end treatment on the Rav4 simply does not do it for me. The Escape reminds me of European styled cars like Porsche or Jaguar. I find the lane centering and stop and go traffic self driving features spooky and will take a while to get used to having a car drive itself in stop and go traffic. This Escape is a very good car and really, the only thing I don't like much is the plasticy wood grain treatment in the dash inserts and door panels. I like the aluminum inserts that are installed on the lower trim models better. Anyone want to trade for some wood grain? Gas mileage is fantastic! We started a small trip with about 700 kilometres showing as range till empty. After driving for several hours, with several stops, in the country on winding roads we actually had more kilometres of range showing at the end of the trip. Readouts indicated that battery power accounted for about 15% of our motive force. I recommend giving this car a long look before considering other small SUV's.

We love this vehicle in so many ways!

Karen D., 04/17/2020
Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

We bought the Titanium hybrid with AWD. In all around driving so far, we're averaging 40.5 mpg - on mostly freeway driving even with AWD. On some trips of 50 miles, we've achieved 49.5 mpg! Amazing - very pleasant surprise. There is very little negative to report and it's minor such as eliminating the CD player. The choice was between the Toyota RAV4 and this vehicle. The hybrid RAV4 we tried had wonky brakes that we would supposedly "get used to" where the Escape hybrid has excellent and normal feeling brakes. Despite having slightly less horsepower, our hybrid can pass cars with ease at all speeds, and it's quiet - something that really bothered us about the RAV - it was a bit throaty when accelerating and made a funny noise every time we braked. We thought about waiting to try out the new Honda CRV first but we decided not to wait after trying out the Escape. Besides an excellent sound system and bells and whistles that are easy to access and work flawlessly, we were surprised at the roominess inside.

👍🏽👍🏽 Costco Member Pricing Invoice + $100

Buy American!, 12/16/2019
SE 4dr SUV (1.5L 3cyl Turbo 8A)

👍🏽👍🏽 Not experts and our car expectations are not high for two retirees that don’t drive much on a limited island in Hawaii. For us this car is perfect! The size is right, the ride is comfortable, the room in the back seat is amazing! The tech in this car is most impressive coming from a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid that still runs fine but drives like a truck. This Escape looks and drives more like a car with really great all new styling. Was planning to buy a 2019 on year-end clearance but Escapes at 3 Ford dealers here did not have any of the tech safety features found standard in 2020’s co-pilot 360° a must have. Using our newly discovered Costco Member best pricing and adamantly declining the ResistAll chemicals and unneeded Theft Protection our new Escape 2020 is worth every penny more than any 2019 Year-End Deal! We are planning to buy another on trade-in for our son’s 2012 Ford Focus (he used the 7 yr extended drive train warranty stalled on a CA freeway on-ramp potentially deadly). It was meant for college dorm days and he’s still a poor college student it’ll be a graduation gift on his PhD. Escape is a much bigger & better also safer car for CA freeways might get him the bigger 2.0L engine for CA driving. Our 2006 Escape Hybrid only gets 22 mpg this 2020 supposed to get 30 so we shall see? Reason I didn’t want to deal w/another Escape Hybrid is it’s not worth paying thousands more for driving so little for minimal gas savings. Also main reason is here most auto shops will not service Ford Hybrids so we could only take it to the dealer which is not convenient and more expensive.

SE Sport Hybrid - The best 2020 Escape

Phaedrus, 03/07/2020
SE Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid EVT)

Wife and I each test-drove the SEL, SE Hybrid, and Titanium Hybrid. We drove them on both a sunny day and a rainy day. The handling, acceleration, and braking impressed us. The Titanium trim was beyond our price range. I was trading in my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid; so, I was very interested in the new hybrid model. I prefer a 4-cylinder over a three. So, we decided on the SE Sport Hybrid trim. We like the host of safety features, the myriad of information displays, the Sync3 system, and the large and high entertainment screen. I really like the dial-transmission and digital displays. The controls are mostly laid out well. Single climate zone. Heat works well; defrosters work well. Fan speeds are a bit too low. The hybrid operation is very seamless and quiet. The gas engine emits a bit of a growl when you push it. I’m averaging the advertised 40mpg overall, and have frequently exceeded that figure on trips of 13 to 20 miles. The “sport” in SE is evident when one switches from Normal or Eco mode to Sport. The acceleration is great. This can be a fun car to drive if you want to sacrifice a bit of fuel economy. The front seats are comfortable (I’m average height). The rear seats can be moved forward or back, depending on where you need the space—passenger or cargo area. Cargo space meets our needs. I easily fit 16 50-pound bags of heating pellets in the cargo area with the seats down. Our dealer actually told us not to buy a remote starter; said to use the Ford App; saved us several hundred bucks. One USB-C slot and one USB; could use more. Model comes with Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent. Even has a wifi hotspot. Other reviews mention how the model comes with a tire inflation kit instead of a spare tire. I went to a tire store and bought a tire and rim, which went into the rear 12-volt battery compartment. The added weight doesn’t seem to have affected my mpg. We agree with multiple reviewers how the interior plastics look cheap, but that “concern?” was way down our list. Our priorities were cargo space and mpg and price. The SE Sport Hybrid hot the sweet spot for us.

12345...8