Used 2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Purchase the extended warrenty
By Dissappointed

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Beware the certified vehicle con. The 99 point check sheet is just pencil whipped. Purchased this car with 58000 miles. Three weeks later the battery died. The battery is a check point so the dealer replaced it. Heard a constant whine from the right rear wheel, took it back to the dealership and was told it was a drive axle or wheel bearing. Turns out it was the rear differential and had to have it replaced. It would have cost about 3500 for a owner to fix but again since the dealership certified it and passed it they had to eat it as well. I have had this car 2.5 months and I am very disappointed with Ford's poor standard. Beware the certified vehicle line, it is just a way to up the vehicles price.

Titanium 2.0L EcoBoost transmission bust
By EveryMom51

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love the features but can’t keep a vehicle that needs a transmission replacement at 53K. Bought used in Oct 2016 with 24K miles. Axle seal failure in Feb 2017. Lost all power on freeway due to loss of transmission fluid. Dealership fixed seal and replaced fluid. Brought back to dealership in 2017 at least three times after that to address shifting issues that resembled the issues I had before the axle seal went (as I was worried that it was happening to another seal). Every time I was told either a.) the shifting issues couldn’t be replicated by their techs or b.) the shifting issues were within the standards of this particular transmission (2.0L EcoBoost). Stopped taking it in because dealership maintained there was nothing wrong or if there was, they couldn’t replicate issue. Fast forward to June 2018. In preparation for a 1000-mile road trip I took vehicle to an independent repair shop for an oil change and just happened to mention shifting issues. After one day in the shop their tech could not only replicate the shifting issue they also expressed concern over the dark transmission fluid. “Should not be that dark for a 53K vehicle.” Actually that fluid is only a little over a year old due to replacement after the axle seal issue in Feb 2017. The independent shop felt that “transmission failure was imminent” and warned me not to take vehicle on trip. Took vehicle to different dealer before heading to Enterprise to rent a car. After a couple weeks of not being able to replicate issue (???) they ultimately decided to disassemble the transmission and replace it with a remanufactured transmission. Still waiting for them to start the work. Will sell/trade vehicle as soon as work is complete. Wanted to love this vehicle but I just can’t.

Was a great car until I hit 60,000 miles
By Tracey S

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the car used with 17,000 miles, only problems I had was 1: lid for console broke and dealership wanted $400 to replace console and wasn't covered under warranty 2: Only one of the 4 charging ports in the car worked, I payed approximately $400 to repair, wasn't covered under warranty. Fast foward to 62,000. I had received a recall notice about the coolant sensor, twice I called the dealership and was told 1: hadn't received and instructions how to fix and 2: didn't have the parts necessary to repair and would contact me when available. I was driving home from work one night and my car flashed a bright red message to pull over safely as soon as possible because my car was overheating. I sat on the side of road for 15 minutes, then proceeded home (was only about 5 minutes away). Had radiator checked the next day, was almost empty, had it refilled and was told "all these cars leak". Called the dealership and told them what happened and they instructed me to come in that day to have fixed because they "now" had parts. They also fixed the seal on the axle which was covered under warranty, car was driving well. 2 months later, I was sitting in traffic and my car wouldn't move for a few minutes. I was able get to parking lot and seemed better. When I was driving home on the highway, the RPM gauge was almost up to six and fluctuating wildly but car was driving fine. I got off on the ramp and car started to act very sluggish and not driving well at all. I ended up being stuck at a stop light blocking traffic and having to get towed to the dealership. This time my transmission was overhauled which was covered under the extended warranty that I am so thankful that I purchased. Have had the car back for 2 weeks, so far so good, but really nervous about reliability in the future.

Nice car if it fits!
By Emily W.

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car to replace my VW Jetta Wagon (TDI) which VW bought back from me. I was looking for a comparable vechicle in volume capacity, power and manueverability in the snow. I've never owned a Ford and was pleasantly surprised by my Escape's "giddy-up", due to choosing the 2.0L turbo engine over the 1.6L. Big difference. Overall I liked driving my Ford, except that it never quite fit me. That is, I'm well proportioned for my height (5'7", 155lbs), but I could never get my hands and arms comfortable on the steering wheel. No matter what adjustments I made to the steering column and/or the seat, my forearms and wrists would fatigue. I've never driven a car/SUV where that's happened. I was also disappointed with the gas mileage; low 20s even for mostly highway driving. The infotainment sysytem was ok once you got the hang of it. Excellent bluetooth reception for phone calls and good sound quality when listening to music. Overall a solid car.

Warning! Do not buy 2014 Ford Escape!
By Wendy

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape 35K miles, 1.6 Liter engine, 4WD, Ecoboost w/ Turbo in Nov 2016. At first everything was good at 40,000 miles a wheel bearing needed to be replaced, 50,000 the axle seal needed to be replaced, at 60,000 the Turbo case is leaking oil! Then just last week the transmission stated to slip! And of course it's out of warranty now, can't believe all this has gone wrong with this car! Ford has definitely gone down the drain as far as quality built vehicles go and they do not stand by their vehicles either from what I hear. Their more concerned about their profit margins and shareholders then they are their own customers. My family has owned nothing but Fords for the past 60 years! If Ford will not stand behind the vehicles it builds I will not stand behind Ford that builds these vehicles! I never thought the day would come when I would say I will never buy another Ford product again! All I've ever bought and owned was Ford vehicles, I was a very loyal customer. My advice to Ford Motor Company is they should read some of these reviews and get with it and at least stand behind their product which apparently they have not done in a while. I feel it suffices to say that Ford Motor Company unfortunately will never be what they used to be.