Used 2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Solid vehicle
By Marcus

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Okay, up front, this car weirdly burns a little oil right when it starts up, but it's been doing it for most of its life. At 108,000+ miles, it's still doing well. I would recommend if you buy a turbocharged vehicle to check the oil once in awhile. Usually I don't even have to add any before the next oil change, but I like to check it just to be safe and take good care of the car. As far as everything else, we've had no major repairs, just brakes and some recalls. We've taken it on some long trips, and my wife drives it on her 50-ish mile commute every weekday, plus it's our main vehicle on the weekends. One thing I've noticed is this car's gas mileage drops to around 26-27 mpg in colder weather (sometimes lower in extreme cold, like 10 degrees F or less) but stays around 28-28.5 when it's warm out. I can't complain though. For a decently roomy family vehicle, even 26 mpg is pretty good. The touchscreen controls aren't as intuitive as the new Fords, but they work well once you get used to them. Also, I've put some pretty serious loads in this little SUV with the rear seats folded down, and it really excels in that department. We also like that the rear seats can be tipped back slightly instead of being left straight up. It takes away a few cubic inches of cargo space, but it's nicer and more comfortable for the kids. This is a comfortable car to drive. The ride is a little stiff, but I feel like that's a side effect of having sporty suspension and top notch handling. I'm serious. This little thing handles like it's on rails. One thing you should know if you buy one is that the traction control is terrible on snow or ice. The best thing to do if you're on an un-plowed snowy road is to shut off the traction control, which is a little annoying because you have to go into "settings" every time. Other than that, I can't complain about a car that's been driven 21,000 miles per year with no major problems, starts up every day, and is cheap to insure. (also, I'm just a hair shy of 6 feet tall, and this little car has plenty of head and leg room for me, which is nice too)

Happy with my purchase
By Steve

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Nice vehicle...have routine maintenance performed...it will pay you back in reliability...

Purchase the extended warrenty
By Dissappointed

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Beware the certified vehicle con. The 99 point check sheet is just pencil whipped. Purchased this car with 58000 miles. Three weeks later the battery died. The battery is a check point so the dealer replaced it. Heard a constant whine from the right rear wheel, took it back to the dealership and was told it was a drive axle or wheel bearing. Turns out it was the rear differential and had to have it replaced. It would have cost about 3500 for a owner to fix but again since the dealership certified it and passed it they had to eat it as well. I have had this car 2.5 months and I am very disappointed with Ford's poor standard. Beware the certified vehicle line, it is just a way to up the vehicles price.

Titanium 2.0L EcoBoost transmission bust
By EveryMom51

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love the features but can’t keep a vehicle that needs a transmission replacement at 53K. Bought used in Oct 2016 with 24K miles. Axle seal failure in Feb 2017. Lost all power on freeway due to loss of transmission fluid. Dealership fixed seal and replaced fluid. Brought back to dealership in 2017 at least three times after that to address shifting issues that resembled the issues I had before the axle seal went (as I was worried that it was happening to another seal). Every time I was told either a.) the shifting issues couldn’t be replicated by their techs or b.) the shifting issues were within the standards of this particular transmission (2.0L EcoBoost). Stopped taking it in because dealership maintained there was nothing wrong or if there was, they couldn’t replicate issue. Fast forward to June 2018. In preparation for a 1000-mile road trip I took vehicle to an independent repair shop for an oil change and just happened to mention shifting issues. After one day in the shop their tech could not only replicate the shifting issue they also expressed concern over the dark transmission fluid. “Should not be that dark for a 53K vehicle.” Actually that fluid is only a little over a year old due to replacement after the axle seal issue in Feb 2017. The independent shop felt that “transmission failure was imminent” and warned me not to take vehicle on trip. Took vehicle to different dealer before heading to Enterprise to rent a car. After a couple weeks of not being able to replicate issue (???) they ultimately decided to disassemble the transmission and replace it with a remanufactured transmission. Still waiting for them to start the work. Will sell/trade vehicle as soon as work is complete. Wanted to love this vehicle but I just can’t.

Was a great car until I hit 60,000 miles
By Tracey S

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the car used with 17,000 miles, only problems I had was 1: lid for console broke and dealership wanted $400 to replace console and wasn't covered under warranty 2: Only one of the 4 charging ports in the car worked, I payed approximately $400 to repair, wasn't covered under warranty. Fast foward to 62,000. I had received a recall notice about the coolant sensor, twice I called the dealership and was told 1: hadn't received and instructions how to fix and 2: didn't have the parts necessary to repair and would contact me when available. I was driving home from work one night and my car flashed a bright red message to pull over safely as soon as possible because my car was overheating. I sat on the side of road for 15 minutes, then proceeded home (was only about 5 minutes away). Had radiator checked the next day, was almost empty, had it refilled and was told "all these cars leak". Called the dealership and told them what happened and they instructed me to come in that day to have fixed because they "now" had parts. They also fixed the seal on the axle which was covered under warranty, car was driving well. 2 months later, I was sitting in traffic and my car wouldn't move for a few minutes. I was able get to parking lot and seemed better. When I was driving home on the highway, the RPM gauge was almost up to six and fluctuating wildly but car was driving fine. I got off on the ramp and car started to act very sluggish and not driving well at all. I ended up being stuck at a stop light blocking traffic and having to get towed to the dealership. This time my transmission was overhauled which was covered under the extended warranty that I am so thankful that I purchased. Have had the car back for 2 weeks, so far so good, but really nervous about reliability in the future.