Used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

281K miles and still going!
By John Garrett

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

12 year old vehicles are going to have very different values based on how they have been driven and maintained and, of course, luck. I feel very lucky with my 05 Escape Hybrid. While it doesn't have the horsepower it once had, and the transmission is starting to slip, and there's some rust in the left rear wheel well, I'm amazed at how well this car has held up with regular oil changes and good tire maintenance. I was reviewing my repairs for this car and was surprised to find that, besides gas, oil and tires, I have spent less than $2500 in repairs since I bought it over 10 years ago. While the 25 MPG I have averaged over that time has been less than advertised (I suspect that the HV battery is not programmed correctly, but couldn't find a shop that could figure out how to improve it) it has outlasted and outperformed my expectations when I bought it with 40K miles and about two years old.

Satisfied With My Hybrid
By Barry Robinson

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Many people do not realize that Hybrid's do best in city driving. Mine switches to electric for 1/2 my drive to and from work. Saves a lot in gas each month. I monitored just city driving and averaged 35mpg. Country driving it dropped to 20mpg. But it is worth the savings. The only problems I have had so far (I bought this used) was the battery drains fast if you are not driving. Not a big deal if you don't sit around in your vehicle with engine not running with phone plugged in and running the stereo. Also, had to replace shocks and struts. Since I bought this used they were hard to replace due to rust issues. Fortunately a friend replaced them for me for no labor charges, I only paid for the parts. Keeping front tires balanced is a BIG issue with this vehicle. Don't use this vehicle like you can drive off road. Not meant for that either. Overall, with the gas savings and minor repairs, it's been a great vehicle for me.

Best Car I've Ever Had
By Claire Kuhn

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Over 222000 miles and 12 years old,...and could do more. I could have better combined mileage if I didn't drive fast on the highway. I think I still get around 32-34 in the city, but if you do 80 on the highway it more like 10-13 mpg. Have some rust though and it's getting to that point when I think I'd like a new car. Unfortunately, I haven't been impressed with what's out there now and so I just bought same car only with only 90k miles. My old car was just as smooth as new ones after all these years and gets better gas mileage!

first time hybrid not so well
By mrblue3

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought the car only six months ago and its running in to problems.
the first couple months it ran awesome what i expected, good mpg for a suv with awd.
now the cooling system for the HV battery is falling apart piece by piece,
that seems to be just one of fords flaw with the
beginning years of the escape hybrid. first it was the cooling fans the whole kit actually, parts plus labor about 700
at dealer.
now the blend door actuator is not opening to allow
air in to cool the battery. from what i was told by another diagnostic the ac is not working proplery, had that diagnosed and the rear ac line going to the battery is punctered. cant wait to trade it in for a fusion hybrid

mpg

why put the ac lines runni.g to the rear for the HV battery outside, knowing if they get messed up, messes up the whole hybrid system!! should jave thought of a better cooling system.

The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it.
Down sides:
When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter.
Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player.

But overall, I love this car.

This car is super easy to to put the back seats down, and is rather roomy for a small SUV. I've hauled just about everything in this car. 6 disc cd player! But there is no mp3 outlet which is a huge bummer. Amazing gas mileage for a small SUV. Driving mostly on the freeway I get on average 30mpg. I've taken 2 long road trips over 1200 miles now and having gas mileage that good is amazing. The screen on the dash tells you how many miles you can go with the amount of gas you have, and once you get down to 50 miles, it beeps and tells you. I love yelling at people for not wearing a seatbelt, now my car does it for me. If the person in the front seat isn't buckled up the car beeps.

The 2005 hybrid can only go up to about 25-30 mph on the battery. The newer Escape hybrid models are far more advanced. If you can afford to dish out a few extra bucks on a newer model, you'll save even more money on gas. But for the price of the 2005 model, you get a good amount of bang for your buck and it's well worth what you pay.