Used 2012 FIAT 500 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Love my Fiat 500 C Pop
By Anthony

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several Fiats through the years and i can honestly say, they are misunderstood. I have had a 1974 124 Sport, which was fun as could be to drive. I owned a 1980 Fiat 2000 Spider convertible ( also known as a 124). That was a blast to drive. I went through a midlife crisis and got another 1981 Fiat Spider convertible, this will always put a smile on your face, something about the top down and the wind in your hair and face. Forward to the 2012 Fiat 500C Pop, what a great design to put a cloth retractable top inside the roof pillars, much safer and way cooler. The car rides and feels like a big car, it is very solid and sure footed. I am 6 foot 1 and have plenty of room and I find the front seating extremely roomy and comfortable. I always sit in the back whenever i purchase a vehicle to see how much headroom and legroom my less fortunate passengers will have. While i am an empty nester, i tend to flop the rear seats down and create a nice little cargo hauling area that is very practical for hauling my two dogs around or for groceries. I bought my car used with 20,000 miles on it in 2014, i have since put 60,000 miles with regular oil changes and tire rotations. i have changed my own spark plugs twice, which is fairly simple, as is changing the air filter and cabin filter. I purchased an aftermarket warranty, but I have never needed to use it. There was a recall on a manual clutch spring replacement, where they also have to replace the brake sensor, but that was covered under the recall. I am sad that the cars do not hold their resale value, but I believe that the 500 C model was done correctly. I know there have been alot of complaints with the 500 L 4 door, but that is a different engine and model altogether. I love my 500C Pop convertible manual transmission. If you dont know about manual transmissions, they are the best kept secret. They are a lot more fun to drive. You are more involved with the driving experience and that is what you are doing driving! therefore one tends to pay more attention. I spoke with a used car salesman recently and he stated that he specifically bought a manual transmission vehicle for his daughter.... Because she would not be able to text and drive! She was initially upset.. but she thanked him later for this. Something to think about. I have had my Fiat up to 101 MPH and it rides the same at all speeds, 50-70 is the perfect speed for this vehicle, I cant stress enough , the big car feel. This is something American cars are getting better at, but I honestly do not know if I will ever buy American. I have owned several German cars and brands and there is nothing quite like their feel for the road, however reliablity and parts and pricing is a different story. I have owned Japanese and Korean and found them to be the most reliable. To make a long story short, on a beautiful day with the top down and a nice day trip planned with you and that special someone, I highly reccomend that you take the route less traveled in the vehicle (Fiat 500C Pop, Manual) less driven. You will not be disappointed. Just do your homework and check the car fax maintenance records. Good solid car, great gas mileage, unlimited smiles and Italian sexy.

Endearing, comfortable, reliable but quirky
By Ed the Fiat Owner

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

This purchase was for fun, a cheeky weekend companion with a full-length cloth sunroof. Yet after 6+ years, my 500c is incredibly convenient for any drive that requires a parking spot hunt or urban commute. Heated leather seats are still firm and comfortable, its good sound system and Sport driving mode make it more playful. Top open, it makes me smile even more. The multiple positions for the top allows me to decide how much nature comes into the car. Exterior sounds are quite muted when the insulated top is closed, and it's remained secure and waterproof. The trunk opening is narrow, but reasonably sized for groceries and gym bags. The engine sounds a bit agricultural, but it scoots along. Fog lights are helpful, and the A/C is effective. Gas mileage reflects my eagerness to toss the car around, and the visibility with the top down is poor. Switchgear puts style over ergonomics, but I love the use of color and materials. The plastic on the doors feels cheap and shows scuff marks. My only issues in six years: resets of the top mechanism (the fix is thoroughly described in the manual), a squeaky seat frame, a low front end that scrapes on some speed bumps, and a battery failure. Overall, fewer trips to the dealer than my Honda and Toyota!

CPop popped!!!!!
By Gayle Gavin

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

It was a fun car that was a joy to drive. It doesn't pretend to be a Corvette. It's a Fiat and proud of it. Sold it in a minute to a guy who drove one years ago while courting his wife of many years.

It Popped!
By Gi

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to own and drive. It a crowd pleaser with loads of people smiling when I drive by. Enjoyed it very much. I almost forgot to put in gas.

Sporty little car with a big personality!
By Brad Johnson

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was in the market to buy a car for my son, a high school senior who will be college-bound next year and in need of good, reliable, safe wheels under him. The Fiat 500c seemed the perfect fit, literally - my son is 6' 5" and he slipped right in to the driver's seat with ease. There was plenty of head and leg room, once the tilt wheel and seat were adjusted. This car handles extremely well and is very tight on turns. What surprised me was the amount of interior space - the outside appearance is deceiving, as once you get inside, it is a well distributed area for 4 people. Equally so is the trunk space, which provides a deep, larger-than-expected compartment for all kinds of storage. Even better is the feature of the split rear seat, which folds down and allows for larger items to fit from the folded down seat to the trunk space. Very smooth ride - takes those bumps in the road really well which reflects a good suspension system. Plus, it's a convertible !! What's better than that? Although I have firmly told my son that he is not to put the top down and stand up while driving, with his feet on the wheel....! Also comes with some nice options like a 7-speaker Bose sound system, fog lights, hands-free Blue-tooth phone system, heated seats and special chrome trim that comes with the "Lounge" (high end) model. It is a great little car that is super on gas and a blast to drive - my son loves it. Life is too short, and for a car in this price range, loosen up and go grab some fun. You won't be sorry!