Used 2000 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Not a bad little quirky commuter
By Michael Elston

2000 Dodge Neon ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Dodge Neon (Plymouth also made some) about eight years ago, for $600 from a guy who had bought his wife a new car and parked the Neon beside his house. When I made my offer, it had been sitting for two years on four flats and had a dead battery. Four new tires and a battery later, I changed the oil and set about chasing about a half-tank of watery gas out of it (took a lot of alcohol). Once the bad gas was out of it, the engine ran smoothly and had good compression, despite having 159,000+ miles on it. The fuel gauge is quirky; Filling the tank brings the needle down to 'E', and it slowly rises to 'F' as you drive. I'm used to it - no need to fix. Since I have owned it, the timing belt has been replaced, front driver-side hub replaced due to whine during right turns, headlights have gotten the obligatory polish to clear up the milky look (we put men on the moon, and we can't fix this stupid problem??), and had brake pads replaced (rotors fine). Not bad maintenance for eight years. 220,000+ miles now, still getting better than 28 mpg. Not the car you want for long trips (more than 100 miles and you feel beat-up), but a great commuter, which I believe was the design intent. Starts reliably on a cold day, handles well, solid fuel economy, noisy but easily drowned out with a few more watts, overall not much to complain about.

Still going strong
By MikefromOkanagan

2000 Dodge Neon ES 4dr Sedan

My wife got this car new and now I drive it. I average roughy 10,000 Kms (about 6200 miles) per year. My commute to work is mixed city and highway driving and the 3 speed auto box does just fine. With proper winters it's decent in the snow as well. Have had to replace some sensors and seals but nothing major and the car is 16 years old. My mechanic uses aftermarket sensors which are cheaper and have better quality seals. This one being the base with no ABS, traction control, power windows, power locks means theres less to go wrong.

Still a solid basic commuter

2000 Dodge Neon
By leviathaan

2000 Dodge Neon ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Dodge Neon automatic with 40,000 miles on it, it currently has 259,000. No real issues, replaced all 4 struts, rotors and 1 battery in the 7 years I've owned it. It has a slight tick in the engine, but other than that nothing wrong with this one, even after hearing all the horror stories, mine is still going. It still gets 30mpg in both the summer and winter.

Gas mileage is awesome at 30mpg, reliable. No major issues with engine or body.

Seats could use some more padding, wind noises on doors.

Love my lil Neon.
By simplyme

2000 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Love this lil thing! bought for 1800 as a commuter for school. Accidentally got a 3spd auto. but for living in a small town it does fine, I just avoid all hwy's. Parts are reasonably priced it's burnt orange manual everything cept auto obviously, but this lil nellie gets the job done no rain issues lights
stay off =)

Color, Pep, radio, durability. =)

bigger standard wheels. more options on base models

Awesome
By parker21

2000 Dodge Neon ES 4dr Sedan

What a great little car! I bought it as my first car for $300 with 149000 miles not too bad for 12 years old. It has few problems but I heard neons are easy to work on. Its also very comfortable and more interior room and features compared to the older past generation neon. Hope to have this car for a long time and get it running in time to get my license wish me luck with my new car eveyone bye! 2000 Dodge neon ES Automatic